Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Time Buyers/Mortgage Advice Websites

First Time Buyers/Mortgage Advice Websites

Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:51 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question First Time Buyers/Mortgage Advice Websites

Has anyone come across any good websites giving sound advice about this - the pitfalls, costs, procedures etc?

Am I right in thinking that each state in Australia is slightly different as far as this and costs?

We are complete virgins to Australian buying
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:13 pm

Question Re: First Time Buyers/Mortgage Advice Websites

Also need to ask

Mortgage/Financial Adviser versus Going to Banks/Financial Institutions direct?

What is the best way?

Cheers in advance.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Time Buyers/Mortgage Advice Websites

Hi

Some links/opinions that might help:

1. For a summary of property buying costs in Australia - http://www.exfin.com/REBuying-Costs.php - stamp duty is the largest cost, and varies slightly by state.
2. Mortgage brokers in Australia don't charge a fee - they are paid for by the bank/building societies. Surprisingly, I found I could get a better deal through a broker than directly with my own bank because the broker will discount/rebate their margin and the bank won't. Which is crazy, it means there is little value in maintaining a long term realtionship with a bank. Just make sure that the broker is reputable and remunerated the same no matter what loan they advise. Go to http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...ns/default.asp to see a range of home loans for your circumstances.
3. As first time buyer you will probably be eligible for a home grant - see www.firsthome.gov.au, and there may be grants available from State governments.
4. www.realestate.com.au is a good site both to view property and has information on the purchase process and associated legalities

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Also need to ask

Mortgage/Financial Adviser versus Going to Banks/Financial Institutions direct?

What is the best way?

Cheers in advance.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:27 am

Default Re: First Time Buyers/Mortgage Advice Websites

Originally Posted by Fardell
Hi

Some links/opinions that might help:

1. For a summary of property buying costs in Australia - http://www.exfin.com/REBuying-Costs.php - stamp duty is the largest cost, and varies slightly by state.
2. Mortgage brokers in Australia don't charge a fee - they are paid for by the bank/building societies. Surprisingly, I found I could get a better deal through a broker than directly with my own bank because the broker will discount/rebate their margin and the bank won't. Which is crazy, it means there is little value in maintaining a long term realtionship with a bank. Just make sure that the broker is reputable and remunerated the same no matter what loan they advise. Go to http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking...ns/default.asp to see a range of home loans for your circumstances.
3. As first time buyer you will probably be eligible for a home grant - see www.firsthome.gov.au, and there may be grants available from State governments.
4. www.realestate.com.au is a good site both to view property and has information on the purchase process and associated legalities
Many thanks
MMum