Reload this Page >

first time buyers grant

first time buyers grant

Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

jaybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default first time buyers grant

Hi all

Been in Auz just over two years and have now sent in our application for PR just waiting for a case officer to be appointed. Judging by some of the comments on this message board we may have to wait a few months before that happens (hope not though).

Anyway whilst our application is in the system we started to just browse the property market in WA and liked the idea of having a house built. Since then a guy has offered us a very good plot of land at a very reasonable price and yes we are tempted.

However, as I don't have PR (yet anyway!) am I right in saying I won’t get the first time buyers grant of $21k? does any one now if this is a definite no? Its just I have heard stories that people on temp 495 visas have managed to get the loan?

If we buy the land now and have the house built whilst waiting for PR to come through can we claim the first time buyers grant later when we get PR?

Jaybird
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first time buyers grant

Originally Posted by jaybird
Hi all

Been in Auz just over two years and have now sent in our application for PR just waiting for a case officer to be appointed. Judging by some of the comments on this message board we may have to wait a few months before that happens (hope not though).

Anyway whilst our application is in the system we started to just browse the property market in WA and liked the idea of having a house built. Since then a guy has offered us a very good plot of land at a very reasonable price and yes we are tempted.

However, as I don't have PR (yet anyway!) am I right in saying I won’t get the first time buyers grant of $21k? does any one now if this is a definite no? Its just I have heard stories that people on temp 495 visas have managed to get the loan?

If we buy the land now and have the house built whilst waiting for PR to come through can we claim the first time buyers grant later when we get PR?

Jaybird
There might be a way round if you know someone in high places but to us normal folk is no
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:35 pm
ABCDiamond

One of the primary conditions is:

At least one applicant must be a permanent resident, or Australian citizen, at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home .

http://www.britzinoz.com/page.php?39

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get in touch with the government dept that deals with FHOG in WA http://www.treasury.tas.gov.au/domin...sf/v-fhog/home
and spoke to a really helpful guy who said they get quite a few enquiries from migrants who expect to get the FHOG but are not entitle to it. Basically they are given duff info to get to the sale.

You must be a permanent resident at the time of the transaction (e.g. the purchase) and not completion of build. You do have 12 months to claim the grant which is taken from the time of completion of build (e.g you can move in). So for those considering purchasing a new home in WA on a temp visa - you can buy but you can't claim the FHOG. Only way to get it is to buy the land and wait until you are permanent before you sign a contract to build. Or wait like I am going to do!

Hope that makes sense
Regards
Jaybird
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaybird
Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get in touch with the government dept that deals with FHOG in WA http://www.treasury.tas.gov.au/domin...sf/v-fhog/home
and spoke to a really helpful guy who said they get quite a few enquiries from migrants who expect to get the FHOG but are not entitle to it. Basically they are given duff info to get to the sale.

You must be a permanent resident at the time of the transaction (e.g. the purchase) and not completion of build. You do have 12 months to claim the grant which is taken from the time of completion of build (e.g you can move in). So for those considering purchasing a new home in WA on a temp visa - you can buy but you can't claim the FHOG. Only way to get it is to buy the land and wait until you are permanent before you sign a contract to build. Or wait like I am going to do!

Hope that makes sense
Regards
Jaybird
You might be better here -

http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/osr_content.asp?ID=344

as the other link is to the Tasamanian government, not the Western Australian.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Good point humble apologies no idea where that link came from
the correct link is as you point out
http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/osr_content.asp?ID=344

the facts sheet is further down the page
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:35 pm
ABCDiamond

I wonder where the confusion comes from:

WA:
At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or a Permanent Resident at the commencement of the eligible transaction (ie. at the date the contract is made).
http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/osr_content.asp?id=379
VIC:
You (or at least one applicant) must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home.
http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/sroweb...es_fhog.htm#2a
I am sure the QLD site says "at the time of settlement or completion of construction" but I can't get onto their site at the moment.

Bearing in mind this is a "Federal grant", you would expect the main eligibility criteria to be the same in each State !