Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First time buyers

First time buyers

Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice
Default First time buyers

Hi,

does anyone know much about the first time home buyers grant? Anyone had it? We did own a property in the UK but when I check the eligibility criteria it just says that you must not have owned a property in Oz and you must be permanent resident.

i'm in queensland.

thanks
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First time buyers

$7k ...
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid_s
Hi,

does anyone know much about the first time home buyers grant? Anyone had it? We did own a property in the UK but when I check the eligibility criteria it just says that you must not have owned a property in Oz and you must be permanent resident.

i'm in queensland.

thanks
It's $7k and cannot have owning a property here. Having owned a property overseas is not an issue.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's $7k and cannot have owning a property here. Having owned a property overseas is not an issue.
Thanks.. I believe it also remove the need to pay stamp duty - depending on the value of the property?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

i'm in queensland.

thanks
yes that is correct. You will get the grant if you have never owned a property in Australia and either you or your spouse is a citizen or PR.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.. I believe it also remove the need to pay stamp duty - depending on the value of the property?
Each state has it's own policy on stamp duty relief. WA is expected to reduce stamp duty in the May budget.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:30 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a first time buyer in WA and the property is under $400,000 you can also apply for an additional $2000 under the First Home Buyers Assistant Fund
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Does anyone know about the stamp duty in QLD?

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:16 pm
SharonC

http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/forms_publ...html#brochures should be helpful for you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
QLD-buying_real_property07[1].pdf (216.9 KB, 168 views)
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

the forms are real easy to fill out. I did not realise i could get it and applied 8 months after i bought the house, they paid the money straight into my bank
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
Thanks for that Sharon_gareth. I will take a look.

Tasha x
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:32 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

What about land, is there stamp duty on land in queensland?
Just taking this as an example lets say $200 for the land and house lets say $220 and it was your first oz home what would you be looking at paying on top of that??
Sorry to but in

Stu
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 9:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
Just taking this as an example lets say $200 for the land and house lets say $220 and it was your first oz home what would you be looking at paying on top of that??
Sorry to but in

Stu
The basic rule of thumb is that if it's something that has to be registered with the government then there is stamp duty...Land, house title, vehicle.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:46 am
SharonC

Sorry to but in

Stu
'

See page 7 of the attached, the brochure is from the QLD State Revenue Site - Not the easiest site to navigate but heaps of informnation there
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
duties_general_guide07[1].pdf (165.4 KB, 128 views)