Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first time back in 10 years

first time back in 10 years

Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

derf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nice
Default first time back in 10 years

Well, where to start. I received the phone call all of us dread. From my sister tell me to get back as soon as possible. Mother had been diagnosed with bowel cancer and was going in for an op with in 48 hours. Well I made back for her waking up from the medication. Good news is everything has gone as good as could be hoped for, so far.

What really surprised me was my very negative reaction to the visit. I know I have been away a while and mid Jan is not a great time to visit, but when did the country get flushed down the toilet?
The areas I was back to see are not, and never have been the beast. But they were the areas I grew up in and worked. Wishaw, Motherwell, Port Glasgow and Greenock. All old steel manufacturing and ship building areas.

I seem to have miss the final death throws of all these industries. With all signs of there existence being wiped of the face of the earth, only to be replace with soulless housing estates.

I have wondered if I could ever move back to Scotland, but the simple answer is never. All I can say is I am no longer an ex pat Scot living in Australia. I am an Australian and was visiting a foreign country.

so things I liked....

1) haggis as part of a fried breakfast
2) wandering about TESCO and ASDA confirming to myself that coles has a really bad range of goods.
3) Meeting up with old friends from work.
4) watching the seagulls walking over strathclyde loch on the ice.

things i did not like.

1) the depression brought on by seeing all the closed and boarded up shops,
2) the cold, the dark, the rain, the sleet, the black ice, being stuck in stuffy house with the heating turned up high to stay warm.
3) endless 1 pound special shops.
4) every one walk about in the uniform of Black beanie, and black jacket.
5) endless news reports of redundancies
6) news papers only full of political scandals, redundancies, the love lives of page 3 celebrities.
7) and i will never bad mouth Austar again. Not compared to what has happened to SKY
8) Meeting up with old friends and seeing them redundant or stuck in meaning less dead end jobs.

On re reading this I seem to be totally negative. I did like seeing my mother , sister and old work friends. But I could not go back. I may not even go back to visit again.

To sum it up. After traveling for 36 hours, with a bad cold, feeling like crap. I get to the doors at the airport. They open. I felt the heat hit me. The humidity. The smells of the tropics. I felt the heat soaking in to my bones, for the first time in 10 days I was warm. AHHHHH its nice to be home in Townsville.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first time back in 10 years

If ever you needed confirmation of where home is, I guess you got it Derf.

Probably best to remember the old life as it was, rather than what you just saw.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by derf
Well, where to start. I received the phone call all of us dread. From my sister tell me to get back as soon as possible. Mother had been diagnosed with bowel cancer and was going in for an op with in 48 hours. Well I made back for her waking up from the medication. Good news is everything has gone as good as could be hoped for, so far.

What really surprised me was my very negative reaction to the visit. I know I have been away a while and mid Jan is not a great time to visit, but when did the country get flushed down the toilet?
The areas I was back to see are not, and never have been the beast. But they were the areas I grew up in and worked. Wishaw, Motherwell, Port Glasgow and Greenock. All old steel manufacturing and ship building areas.

I seem to have miss the final death throws of all these industries. With all signs of there existence being wiped of the face of the earth, only to be replace with soulless housing estates.

I have wondered if I could ever move back to Scotland, but the simple answer is never. All I can say is I am no longer an ex pat Scot living in Australia. I am an Australian and was visiting a foreign country.

so things I liked....

2) wandering about TESCO and ASDA confirming to myself that coles has a really bad range of goods.

things i did not like.

2) the cold, the dark, the rain, the sleet, the black ice, being stuck in stuffy house with the heating turned up high to stay warm.
6) news papers only full of political scandals, redundancies, the love lives of page 3 celebrities.
7) and i will never bad mouth Austar again. Not compared to what has happened to SKY
8) Meeting up with old friends and seeing them redundant or stuck in meaning less dead end jobs.

On re reading this I seem to be totally negative. I did like seeing my mother , sister and old work friends. But I could not go back. I may not even go back to visit again.

To sum it up. After traveling for 36 hours, with a bad cold, feeling like crap. I get to the doors at the airport. They open. I felt the heat hit me. The humidity. The smells of the tropics. I felt the heat soaking in to my bones, for the first time in 10 days I was warm. AHHHHH its nice to be home in Townsville.
Port Glasgow town centre perchance!!? You should go into the Star for a pint. It hasn't changed. It was a dump 30 years ago and it still is
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

so things I liked....

things i did not like.

Yes unfortunately the Uk is going down the toilet and it's probably only going to get worse. They have spent billions on new nimrod early warning aircraft that have never flown only to dismantle them for scrap.
We're getting 2 new aircraft carriers again costing billions and they can't afford to put any aircraft on them.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:29 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your Mum makes a speedy recovery

January is generally an awful month in the UK - I can't wait for spring
It's great that you were glad to get back to TV - I know what you mean about the feel of the tropics when you leave the airport it reminds me of holidays
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

derf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nice

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Port Glasgow town centre perchance!!? You should go into the Star for a pint. It hasn't changed. It was a dump 30 years ago and it still is
Yup, did one drive through the town center and that was enough. The Star had not seemed to change at all. If I had been there later in the day I would have stopped at Saucy Sue for a chicken supper, but they were closed. Also I expect the supper would not have lived up to my memories of gravy soaked mass of chicken and chips, chased down by a bottle os Irn Bru.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Yup, did one drive through the town center and that was enough. The Star had not seemed to change at all. If I had been there later in the day I would have stopped at Saucy Sue for a chicken supper, but they were closed. Also I expect the supper would not have lived up to my memories of gravy soaked mass of chicken and chips, chased down by a bottle os Irn Bru.
Paisley's the same. Unfortunately today they don't chase it down with Irn Bru, more like bucky.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice

Hi

Well said the country is going damn the pan and I can hand on heart say I so glad to be getting out of here when I emigrate in July and August.

Doom and Gloom and more Doom and Gloom thats the outlook for the UK.

My thoughts are with you and I am sure it will give your mum a real comfort being back here.

Best wishes

Debbie
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Louis' chips are better. Are you from Port Glasgow derf?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: first time back in 10 years

That's got to be a first on this forum.

Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Louis' chips are better. Are you from Port Glasgow derf?
Worked in the IBM, but lived in Dougliehill Terr. Got the hell out when IBM started to sink.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Worked in the IBM, but lived in Dougliehill Terr. Got the hell out when IBM started to sink.
EHHH!! I lived there for 10 years from 1992 to 2002! No. 53
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

EHHH!! I lived there for 10 years from 1992 to 2002! No. 53
He obviously remembers me. He's just signed oot!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

53? small world I was No.47.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.