British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   First tax return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/first-tax-return-404624/)

Caveman Oct 27th 2006 1:48 am

First tax return

I'm just doing my first tax return (a bit last minute , I know) having been here since the end of May as a permanent resident. As far as I can work out I became a tax resident at when I entered the country but I am unsure about whether I need to declare my salary from the UK which was earned and taxed prior to my entry into Australia. Otherwise I'd just be declaring a month or so of Australian salary and getting a part-year tax allowance - very straightforward. I have the same question for a retrospective family tax benefit application for the same short period.

Thanks,

Caveman

jensteve Oct 27th 2006 2:58 am

Re: First tax return

Originally Posted by Caveman
I'm just doing my first tax return (a bit last minute , I know) having been here since the end of May as a permanent resident. As far as I can work out I became a tax resident at when I entered the country but I am unsure about whether I need to declare my salary from the UK which was earned and taxed prior to my entry into Australia. Otherwise I'd just be declaring a month or so of Australian salary and getting a part-year tax allowance - very straightforward. I have the same question for a retrospective family tax benefit application for the same short period.

Thanks,

Caveman

Last year when we did ours we did have to give details of what we got in the UK, luckily for us we came out in August and both didn't work for the last couple of months so had nothing wage wise to declare, only some interest in the banks.
Jenny

The Bloke Oct 27th 2006 9:16 am

Thanks,

Caveman

Don't forget that they have to get it by 31/10/06 or penalties may apply.

Sandra Oct 27th 2006 9:41 am

Thanks,

Caveman

You will be asked about your earnings in the UK if claiming any benefits as these earnings will be taken into consideration. If not claiming benefits then it is as you said straightforward and you get a part year calculation for tax.

have you checked the websites for the calculations for benefit? you can also use the ATO website calculator to get a calculation and check this against your tax return figure.

Caveman Oct 27th 2006 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra
have you checked the websites for the calculations for benefit?

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the family tax benefit module for e-tax and filled in all the information. At the end it said that our son was not eligible for FTB so I went for spouse tax-offset instead, as my wife hasn't worked for a couple of years. I haven't been able to work out from the information on the websites how long we'll have to be here before he'll be eligible.