Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first shipping quote in, expensive?

first shipping quote in, expensive?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:32 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first shipping quote in, expensive?

Originally Posted by sormesher
hi all,
i have just had anglo pacific in who has said that just over half a container would cost £3250, he says the added extras would be fumigation and insurance. i thought it would be cheaper than this, what do you think? he also gave me quote for a full container at £3600 but then this wouldnt allow us to add any extra stuff to the container to fill it up which i find really odd. why would you have a full container in that case?
second company coming this afternoon, PSS.
thanks
I think that's a bit steep. We had just over half a 20 ft container, and it cost us £2,700 with Allied Pickfords almost 3 years ago. I don't think prices could have gone up that much in 3 years. I would get some other quotes.

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Aug 16th 2009 at 12:35 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:15 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Can you please just tell us a few pointers please

1,who can i order 1 from?
2,do they leave it at your house and how long do you have?
3,who is l&p?
4,who will deliver it to your house in oz?

many thanks

jase
1) I ordered my 40' container from a company called EuroUSA shipping Ltd.
2) Yes. You are granted 3 hours for a 20' container and 4 hours for a 40' container. They charge per the hour thereafter (I think it's £65/hour after your time is up but this varies by company).
3) Letton Percival are the insurers. Funny enough, they usually are the agents that handle the insurance for the shipping companies. The BIG difference is that LP charge MUCH less than the shipping companies do so it is better to get in touch with them directly.
4) I don't know the name of the company but it's all part of the service.

- CDM
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

We had 1/2 a 20ft container with Doree Bonner in December and it cost just shy of £1700 (full packing). We had 5 different companies round to do a quote and they ranged from £1600 - £3200 (all for between 1/2 and 2/3 of a container). We also went with Letton Percival insurance (but be aware of the excess should you need to claim - most of the other insurances didn't have an excess but were more expensive as a result). Doree Bonner use Grace Removals Sydney side. We were very happy as we had nothing missing or broken (well apart from the glass that I dropped when putting it away )
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

I'd pay the extra and get the full container - ask them to quote for 900 cubic feet- you can then fill it as you like. I went with PSS and they were fantastic. Look after the packers and they were fine with me filling the container to the brim. A mistake I did make was not to check the actual container shipping company's calendar. Two tips- Do ask if I move on day x when does my container actually leave the UK- what boat is it going to be on and I brought loads of garden stuff- garden tools, furniture , golf clubs etc - no worries with customs- I bought sachets of virkon s on ebay and after cleaning the stuff taped the empty packets to the items.

Last edited by seansuperhoop; Aug 17th 2009 at 5:37 am. Reason: mistake
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

What is virkon s - never heard of it?

Charlie
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

recommended (or was) disinfectant- kills everything! including foot and mouth- customs ( or I was told ) like to see you use it...just helps them release your belongings without complications- I had some spare room in my container at the end of packing and even threw in some large plastic compost bins- no issues and I'm sure it was because I stuck the empty sachets on all my "dodgy" items..
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Thanks for the clarificvation. I had heard that Jayes Fluid is also good.

Charlie
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had a quote of £3290 plus insurance for sole use of a 20ft container using approx 780 cubic ft . We want sole use so we can ship more quickly. Still looking at insurance options. A previous poster mentioned a large excess with cheaper insurance and this is what I have found.

Costs not included are as follows:

Local duties, inspections and taxes
Local quarantine, decontamination or immigration charges
Delivery or collection above 2nd floor
Delivery or collection with poor access
Dismantling or assembly of flat pack furniture
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Full container with crown and insurance, £4000 although it hasnt arrived yet, supposed to be tomorrow.

Reason we had a full was because of the thieving gits robbing stuff inbetween loads!

Shouldnt have too but the world we live in and all that!
We're having our 20" container delivered tomorrow too!! It left the UK on the 17th June Celebrations all round tomorrow!!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:05 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

We had a 20 ft container 18 months ago, with Anglo Pacific. Cost about £4000 incl insurance. They packed absolutely everything that wasn't nailed down and their agent this side unpacked everything we wanted unpacking and took away all the empties. No breakages apart from a biscuit barrel. They were punctual at both ends of the globe. All in all, we were more than happy with the service but be warned.......... anything you don't want packing, keep it in a seperate room or it WILL get packed.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:40 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chelle66
We had a 20 ft container 18 months ago, with Anglo Pacific. Cost about £4000 incl insurance. They packed absolutely everything that wasn't nailed down and their agent this side unpacked everything we wanted unpacking and took away all the empties. No breakages apart from a biscuit barrel. They were punctual at both ends of the globe. All in all, we were more than happy with the service but be warned.......... anything you don't want packing, keep it in a seperate room or it WILL get packed.
Lol, I agree with packing everything! They even packed out Coffee jar . . . still full of coffee!! We paid £3300 with Crown for a full 20ft container, but that included ALL charges. The only thing we paid for at the other end was the import tax on 2 bottles of alcohol that we declared.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

FionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really nice

Hi

Ours was half a 20 ft - we went for a shared container due to the price.

We got it for £2200 shared - I think it was about £3000 for sole use, full packing etc with Crown.

Our is due to land on 22nd September and went 17th July.

It another £500 - 600 for insurance on top of that.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:05 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Lol, I agree with packing everything! They even packed out Coffee jar . . . still full of coffee!! We paid £3300 with Crown for a full 20ft container, but that included ALL charges. The only thing we paid for at the other end was the import tax on 2 bottles of alcohol that we declared.

We even had a dirty old broom, dustpan and brush packed, because we hadn't seperated it from everything else and you know how fussy the aussie customs are about foreign dirt particles? Amazingly, they didn't find it and we weren't anything when our stuff arrived. We also had a box of chocolates packed, which was supposed to be a present from our son to his childminder.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

We have just recieved our furniture today.
It left the Uk 17th June.
We heard so many horror stories about shipping which worried us.
We used John Masons to pack and ship our stuff including two vintage Lambrettas.
The guys who packed in the UK were excellent and we were so pleased we posted our comments on here. We got quite a few sharp remarks saying things like " thats only a small part of the process, lets see how you respond once you recieve your goods"
Well, we have unpacked 90% and checked as much as possible, and the only thing we have found broken or damaged was a modelling dough figurine which my mother in law made and the head broke off.
We feel so lucky, but i would say the packing these guys did was 100%.
We would definatley recommend John Masons as shipping agents, very professional
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

thecatjh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claretandblue
We have just recieved our furniture today.
It left the Uk 17th June.
We heard so many horror stories about shipping which worried us.
We used John Masons to pack and ship our stuff including two vintage Lambrettas.
The guys who packed in the UK were excellent and we were so pleased we posted our comments on here. We got quite a few sharp remarks saying things like " thats only a small part of the process, lets see how you respond once you recieve your goods"
Well, we have unpacked 90% and checked as much as possible, and the only thing we have found broken or damaged was a modelling dough figurine which my mother in law made and the head broke off.
We feel so lucky, but i would say the packing these guys did was 100%.
We would definatley recommend John Masons as shipping agents, very professional
wow superb news, reading all the posts seems many get priced depending on mood of company glad you got your items all well and it is true many are quick to look for negatives when maybe they are not there to find

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.