Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First it was Perth, then it was Brisbane or Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, now????

First it was Perth, then it was Brisbane or Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, now????

Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

French Connection is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First it was Perth, then it was Brisbane or Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, now????

Hi can anyone help us to decide

We have 2 gorgeous girls aged 8 and 21 months, and we are hoping to come to Oz within the next 2 years, we have never had the pleasure of visiting yet (have applied to go on wanted down under series4, watch this space!!)

We initially thought we would like to settle in Perth, we have done some reasearch and know of people who already live there and thought yeah this sounds just the place for us.

But then my family went to Oz last year (lucky things) and visited - Perth, Canberra and Sunshine Coast, they loved them all, but particularly liked Perth and Sunshine Coast.

So we looked into Sunshine Coast and changed our minds, feeling this was the place for us instead, better climate possibly more job prospects etc. I am a hairdresser & semi permanent make up technician and oh is an estimator in motor industry.

And now we just can't seem to decide, we have been reading lots of threads on here and found some very useful/interesting things on here. So we thought we would ask if anyone could help us in the right direction, has anyone lived in both of these areas, if so which do you prefer and why???

We look forward to reading your thoughts and views, thanks
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:19 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice
Default Re: First it was Perth, then it was Brisbane or Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, now????

I am going to be biased here, but we chose the Sunny Coast over Perth, we were supposed to stay in Perth for nearly 2 months with friends, after 3 weeks they run out of things for us to do, so we flew to Sydney and Brisbane for the rest of our holiday that's how we found out about the Sunshine Coast and vowed to return. We feel there is more to do on the east coast but that's just our opinion, every area in Australia will have it's plus and minus points....it's down to personal taste.

Last edited by aussiedreamz; Jan 18th 2009 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First it was Perth, then it was Brisbane or Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, now????

If you do semi permanent make up then the Gold Coast is for you!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your replies

Is semi permanent make up popular in Gold Coast then?????
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

Hi French Connection, I have to agree with Aussiedreamz and biastly say The Sunshine Coast is a beautiful place to live. I have noticed a few places around here offering semi permanent make up so it would be a possibility although I'm not sure how many jobs there are. I have just PM'd you.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by French Connection
thanks for your replies

Is semi permanent make up popular in Gold Coast then?????

Very!! Anything within the beauty industry is big here... However we went to the sunny coast for a couple of days recently and it was fab... I could live there but I prefer the buzz of the goldie... my OH called it the 'pink neon' effect!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Hi can anyone help us to decide

We have 2 gorgeous girls aged 8 and 21 months, and we are hoping to come to Oz within the next 2 years, we have never had the pleasure of visiting yet (have applied to go on wanted down under series4, watch this space!!)

We initially thought we would like to settle in Perth, we have done some reasearch and know of people who already live there and thought yeah this sounds just the place for us.

But then my family went to Oz last year (lucky things) and visited - Perth, Canberra and Sunshine Coast, they loved them all, but particularly liked Perth and Sunshine Coast.

So we looked into Sunshine Coast and changed our minds, feeling this was the place for us instead, better climate possibly more job prospects etc. I am a hairdresser & semi permanent make up technician and oh is an estimator in motor industry.

And now we just can't seem to decide, we have been reading lots of threads on here and found some very useful/interesting things on here. So we thought we would ask if anyone could help us in the right direction, has anyone lived in both of these areas, if so which do you prefer and why???

We look forward to reading your thoughts and views, thanks

The bottom line is that rather than ask for other peoples opinions, everyone is different! you need to go for yourself.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:18 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 2 places were Perth and the Sunshine Coast!! Didnt want the Gold Coast, although I love visiting there... (we did consider Byron Bay seriously too, but it is way way too transcient)..

Perth was a bit manicured for me... it has to be the cleanest place that I have ever visited... in fact, it is still my favourite city in Australia (apart from Sydney)... It has a lovely family feel to it, and I love WA as you go North.. Coral Bay is one of the most beautiful places on earth..

Saying that, in the end, I worked out that I prefered The Sunshine Coast as I found it a bit more rugged and unkempt! haha! I also love the Queenslander style housing and having the Glass House Mountains at the back and the beach at the front.... plus I can't deny that having everything nearby (!!) on the East Coast isnt appealing too..

My friends in Perth love the fact that they are away from the rest of Australia and indeed the world! As I have spoken to people whilst i travelled, it is the same with the WA;ers I have spoken to.. they love the isolation..

I do miss sunset on the beach tho... tis Sunrise here and its a bit early for me! Tho we do have sunset over the mountains!

Also.. consider the heat type you prefer... dry heat or humid heat?

Also.. consider the flight times for people and indeed yourself coming/going to Europe.. its a longer flight over to the East than if you fly into Perth

Food for thought!

Em x
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

thanks for your views etc
we are almost set on either gold/sunshine coast. Just need to do more reasearch into both areas for housing, schools, work etc, but I am sure we will find most of that on here anyway.

As for doing a reccie, well we have thought about it but have decided not to bother as it would pobably cost approx £5k+ and we feel that would be better to put towards all other costs. My sister and oh went to Oz last year and I trust her judgement so we shall see!!

Does anybody know about employment for the motor industry? Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

SoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really niceSoapysBairn is just really nice

Gold Coast!! Best Place to be
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Hi we've been in the same kind of dilemma as you, and hubby is a barber. First it was Perth, then Melbourne, then Brisbane, then Melbourne again!

We've only ever been to Perth and it wasn't really for me it was a bit too quiet and hubby would have to do a hairdressing exam there perming and braiding men's hair?! dont think so!

So then we chose Melbourne I prefer the climate there and seems more european, I'm not a great fan of the heat but........ 90% of barber/men's hairdressing jobs that come up are in Brisbane. I have heard though that it goes dark at 7pm all year round and the mosquitos eat you alive, aswell as your house being eaten by termites. Yuk!

It all looks nice on TV!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Hiya

It is hard to choose. We have never been to Aus, but know a few people that have been for hols, and a few peolpe that lived there. All different places.

Like you we feel Perth would be too quiet for us.

Mosquitos - I hate them. I get eaten alive if a don't wear a bug repellant.
Although we will be going on a 175 visa with my profession, my hubby will be the main wage earner, so I won't be in too much of a rush to get a job, maybe do mobile to start for a bit, haven't done that for a while though!!

Good luck with whatever you decide will keep a look out to see where you end up.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Thanks same to you

Hiya

It is hard to choose. We have never been to Aus, but know a few people that have been for hols, and a few peolpe that lived there. All different places.

Like you we feel Perth would be too quiet for us.

Mosquitos - I hate them. I get eaten alive if a don't wear a bug repellant.
Although we will be going on a 175 visa with my profession, my hubby will be the main wage earner, so I won't be in too much of a rush to get a job, maybe do mobile to start for a bit, haven't done that for a while though!!

Good luck with whatever you decide will keep a look out to see where you end up.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Hi

Like you we started off with Perth then Brisbane, Sunshine and Goldcoast. We have two little ones 6 and 3 and again will depend on jobs and also schools etc. Decided against Perth as perhaps too quiet and again have not been decided against a reccie as we are wanting to take as much money with us as possible. (Still deciding if we are mad not to do a reccie). As for jobs Im a secondary teacher and OH a joiner. Initially only one of us is going to work until we can get the children settled and a routine established.

I am absolutely terrified! The unknown are we doing the right thing! Will the schools be good! Areas to live etc so much to think about. One thing for sure is that I want to try and give it a go so watch this space. Nicky