Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first impressons of perth? oh know or wow???

first impressons of perth? oh know or wow???

Old Jul 10th 2003, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default first impressons of perth? oh know or wow???

please tell me your first impressons of perth would love to read all stories cheers allison
Old Jul 11th 2003, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Doesn't anyone want to play this one?

Well, my very first impressions from memory (7 yrs ago now, grey cells depleting) were:-

Euuughhhhh

What funny low little boxy houses with orange roofs.

God! they are so inneficient in the shops - don't they know I'm from UK and permenantly stressed and in a hurry!!

The woman wear SO much gold jewellery

Very flat and sandy

Clean and sunny

---------------------------------------------
As time went on and we spent more time there my views changed but these were my very first impressions!!

Diane
Old Jul 11th 2003, 5:06 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first impressons of perth? oh know or wow???

Originally posted by delboy
please tell me your first impressons of perth would love to read all stories cheers allison

Bloody Feb 9 years ago 44C sweating my balls off the week we got here .
Perth seen it before but the thought of having to live here struck home quick , no return ticket and friends being more of a pain than a help , mummy I want home now!

Old Jul 11th 2003, 5:11 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard

(expletive deleted) Feb 9 years ago 44C (expletive deleted) my (expletive deleted) off the week we got here .
Perth seen it before but the thought of having to live here struck home quick , no return ticket and friends being more of a (expletive deleted) than a help , mummy I want home now!

Thomas Bowdler was here
Old Jul 11th 2003, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

I reply as someone who was born in a city and lived many years in another city, but, detest city life.

First impressions of Perth were:
Easy and inexpensive to park.
Free public transport. ???
Not a city feel to the place.
A work hub for administration.
Relaxed lunch time for workers.
Plenty of food places.
Not many shops.
Very cleen and tidy.
NOTHING like any UK city that I have been to.
A pleasant experience.

PC
Old Jul 11th 2003, 7:06 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going back a few years.........

First visit was December 1995 for a year, and the second for 3 months over the milennium. First stop was North Beach to stay with an Aussie mate.

Driving along the Sunset Coast road was a beautiful first experience and I was struck by the intensity of the light.

Settled in Scarborough and down to work after a month or so which is a great place to rent as cheap and has a buzzing nightlife, and it has more than 1 pub. Will be heading back there in October this year.

One thing about some of the Perth suburbs we stayed in was the one pub factor - used to walking past at least 3 to get to our local!

Remember staying in North Beach when they had knocked down the TAB/pub - not a bad place, but do remember having to wave a pool cue around after someone who didn't like our taste in music switched off the jukebox, and I can honestly say that I've never seen strippers before with gaffa tape on their wot-nots. This meant a 40 minutes walk into Scarborough to meet mates at The Lookout, but hey, hardly an unpleasant walk.

Loved Perth city as small enough to get to know pretty quickly, but used to head out to Subiaco Markets to shop most of the time.

Found the supermarkets more limited than the UK, but these things are tiny differences and make no impact on the quality of life. (Not whingeing, honest!)

Found it weird walking down the street when someone said "How ya doin" and thinking 'Did I meet him last night?', less 'British reserve' than the UK.

Did find that men treated me a bit differently (more 'traditionally'), but once they get to know you this changes.

Went back in 2000 and spent a great millennium night at a cafe in North Beach, stayed up all night and waded into the sea at dawn.
We all waited at midnight for the whole world to shut down, but nothing happened.

We generally preferred being by the coast, because we got out and about more. Stayed with a mate in Wanneroo in 2000 and spent the whole time indoors or in The Wanneroo Tavern as very hot out.

Think that we will need to take up some more hobbies and get out and about a lot.

Looking forward to going back to Perth as good mates there, both Aussie and Expats.

Will be there in mid August and will keep posting.

Last edited by Pookin; Jul 11th 2003 at 7:09 am.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 7:41 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Reading a few of your replies I should start again , try 'Perth whats its like stuck in some burb on a housing estate".
The fiction writers are taking the pee big time , never mind who needs facts when dreams sound better .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 11th 2003 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 7:59 am
Be true to your skew

Reading a few of your replies I should start again , try 'Perth whats its like stuck in some burb on a housing estate".
The fiction writers are taking the pee big time , never mind who needs facts when dreams sound better .

A great many of us in the UK live in the 'burbs, been trying for my own country estate, but alas in vain.

You do not have to stay in your house, you can leave your house and go out.

Try it - it's fun, honest.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 8:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I love Perth as a place to visit, its clean, easy to get around (free cat buses) beautiful kings park with views to die for, excellent beaches, Freo is wonderful aswell.
However we have chosen Melbourne as our place to settle, mainly because of the isolation factor of Perth, but then thats what a lot of people like about it.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My First impressions were

1. very clean and tidy

2. Friendly peeps

3. Beaches beautiful

4. houses lovely

5. some areas look like Hicksville and full of inbreds

6. Some areas look lovley and full of nice peeps

7. Couldn,t find any Indian takeaways (uk National Dish)

8. Some housesw have tin roofs which are so noisy when it rains...

9. Hilary,s harbour very nice, nice restaurants

10. Lots of Tabs (betting shops) with loads of native people hovering around.

But best thing to do is to go there yourselves as you,ll see it through your own eyes and impressions.

I would live there.. Hubby wouldnt (isolation of the place)

See you sunday Delboy

Cheers BooBoo
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:46 am
Banned

Originally posted by Pookin
A great many of us in the UK live in the 'burbs, been trying for my own country estate, but alas in vain.

You do not have to stay in your house, you can leave your house and go out.

Try it - it's fun, honest.
Lets see step outside house in Perth walk West oh great its a Beach (sand ) go East more sand (desert) , go North more sand , go South scrub and sand .
Well tried it anyother idea's?
Social life for 99% in Perth is the backyard in concrete jungles called Burbs , most have little money to do anything else and once you traveled for hours in this great state to see bugger all the backyard looks good.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 14th 2003 at 1:48 am.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 9:50 am
Be true to your skew

Lets see step outside house in Perth walk West oh great its a Beach (sand ) go East more sand (desert) , go North more sand , go South scrub and sand .
Well tried it anyother idea's?
Social life for 99% in Perth is the backyard in concrete jungles called Burbs , most have little money to do anything else and once you traveled for hours in this great state to see bugger all the backyard looks good.

Oh, dear you do sound bored. Cheer yourself up with a look at forthcoming events in the fine old village of Kinver:

http://www.kinveronline.co.uk/calendar/listevents.php

Oh there aren't any.

Or perhaps a chat about the lack of broadband connections in Kinver, the planned expansion of Wolverhampton Business Airport or "talk about your new play, pantomime or poetry recital (no, go on, don't be afraid!)."

http://www.kinveronline.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Mode of transport

Camel

BooBoo
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Public transport

A caravan of camels

BooBoo
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Please dont get the 'hump' i,m only joking!!!

BooBoo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.