Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Impressions of Oz

First Impressions of Oz

Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Impressions of Oz

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Main problem I have with this thread, is there are no two countries on the planet with similar manners and habits than New Zealand and Australia, so to have totally different experiences in both countries is obviously a perception problem.

Even the most diehard Kiwi will agree with the gist of my statement.

I think the hint is in describing people walking around as "Gormless" Now how can you have a happy experience amongst people you deem to be Gormless.
Yes it is difficult to think of two more peoples being more alike anywhere in the world i would have thought.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

I rarely make a comment, but really can't resist on this one. You don't come off the boat and expect everyone to love you instantly. You may be all sweetness and light but you have landed in a place where people are going about their day-to-day activities in a similar, but not identical way, to where you come from and are probably more concerned about themselves at any given moment.

You may have had three weeks in NZ where the population was great, but you were on holiday. Here you are faced with the daunting realisation that this is the place you are going to live (or might live) and the pressure of all the mundane admin you'll have to complete to try and settle is going to be stressful and will amplify even the slightest negative incident. You'll also amplify these incidents if you have had any doubts about whether this is the right move - let's face it, everyone has those doubts.

I haven't experienced any of the negatives you've listed although I'm sure there are bigoted and racist people everywhere - even on this thread.......

The thing I find very strange is the comment about the pace of life being similar to or even faster than London. It doesn't compare.

Brisbane is a big (geographically if counting the burbs), loping, unsophisticated adolescent of a city. Melbourne and Sydney (maybe even Adelaide) are far more sophisticated and "cultured" and Melbourne and Sydney revel in it, sometimes to the point of cringeworthy pomposity.

Forget the Brisbane CDB, try to relax (will be hard if no car and heaps of admin to accomplish) and explore some of the inner city suburbs. The pace will be infinitely slower and the people more likely to be friendly. New Farm is good start (but a bit try hard), but try West End, Spring Hill and surrounding suburbs as well.

The other thing to remember is that people may react differently to your accent. Australians love a Welsh, Scottish, Irish and some northern English accents, but it takes them a while to warm to anything that could be remotely described as posh. Have no real idea why, but probably because English culture was the dominant culture here and there is always a bit of a counter reaction against the once dominant culture. Also, sometimes what are considered good manners in the UK are seen as unessential antiquated niceties here. All part of the more relaxed attitude of "it doesn't bother us so no need to apologise and we wouldn't expect you to either, but if you do, don't expect a reward".
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Well, thought i would put my tuppence in. We have been here just over a year. 5 months in Sydney and the rest in Perth, (Mandurah, but i work in Perth).
Cant say that i have seen all that the poster has experienced, but a few things that i would agree with.
Racism - Oh boy, Oz makes the KKK look tame. If you meet any indigenous people just ask!
Manners - what manners. Most Australians dont even know the meaning of the word.
Its interesting you mention how NZ was different. When we came to WA we held a bbq and invited all the neighbours. A get to know you thing. The only Oz that turned up, walked in grabbed beers and left. The NZ neighbours all brought dishes and made a great day.
If you can get over the above, its a nice place
Interesting your perceptions to date. Do find neighbours if they are Oz tend to avoid getting involved with those around them and found that in all places lived in Oz apart from Albany(WA)(although over all people indifferent there as well)
Racism if you think it bad now thankfully you never witnessed it here 25 or more years back...it was full on then against any one looking or speaking different.Indigenous have their own issues with race and would suggest they are not the easiest people to sit with to discuss issues..but if you have this experience then more power to you.
Surprised you find the manners here are so poor...for me i always get back to my big issue here namely the indifference and do find that not a little challenging.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:49 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NickyC
Funny that, isn't it?

Been here for nearly 30 years and until about 5 years ago I'd never even heard of a white tail spider - let alone seen one.

At least four BE posters have supposedly being bitten by them within days of arrival.
lve never been bitten by a spider either, l'm jeolous
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:53 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PJLondonSydney
I rarely make a comment, but really can't resist on this one. You don't come off the boat and expect everyone to love you instantly. You may be all sweetness and light but you have landed in a place where people are going about their day-to-day activities in a similar, but not identical way, to where you come from and are probably more concerned about themselves at any given moment.

l think they were expecting a welcoming band and red carpet rolled out on arrival in Queensland.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 17th 2009 at 7:55 am.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
l think they were expecting a welcoming band and red carpet rolled out on arrival in Queensland.
On the contrary. If you knew me & the wife you'd know how prepared we are for things, partly due to the jobs we had in the UK, so for everything we had to do, or were expecting to experience when we got to Oz, EVERYTHING has been exactly how we expected and nothing has come as a surpise, except the attitude of people and pace of life in the CBD like we mentioned. As an example as well, we'd got all the mundane admin stuff sorted by lunchtime on our first day

We are the kind of people who always set our expectation low so if it goes wrong we are not put off, and if it goes well then thats even better so are certainly not the kind of people to want the red carpet treatment, and even if we were offered it would shy away from it.

Just surprised by how different people were behaving in general to how everyone mentioned it too us. Back in the UK I have a couple of Ozzy friends and know a lot of people who all traveled Oz in the past and all of them always commented how nice Ozzies were, how slow the pace of life was etc, but when we arrived we found the exact opposite thats all.

However, the last couple of days we've managed to get out the centre and its been much better, more like what we were expecting and what we were told.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:07 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

My impression of Brisbane CBD is that it is tiny and thronged almost exclusively by Asian students who shlip-shlop about the gloomy alleys with all the gorm of life sentence prisoners in a Turkish exercise yard.

I find for the OP's initial impressions.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
Well, thought i would put my tuppence in.
You can't do that, he was shot yesterday.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lovetv
I think today is "THE SURPRISE DAY". Coming to know things, which i never expected to learn or know about australians. Where the so called "Multiculturism" of DIAC and Govt. of Aus. gone?

Really getting hardly beaten almost everyday by knowing more and more about ozland which i thought the place of my dream.

Racism, no manners, cruelty, rude behaviour - is this happening in ozland, city like brisbane, perth?
Yes, they even shit on the streets in public too.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Don't believe the hype.
It's much much worse.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NickyC
Funny that, isn't it?

Been here for nearly 30 years and until about 5 years ago I'd never even heard of a white tail spider - let alone seen one.

At least four BE posters have supposedly being bitten by them within days of arrival.
They don't hurt but they make a bit of a mess of where they bite.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
They don't hurt but they make a bit of a mess of where they bite.
Women?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
Women?
They just cause more trouble than what they are worth.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Do find neighbours if they are Oz tend to avoid getting involved with those around them.
I find it varies tremendously. Where we live at the moment, the neighbours do no more than wave at each other across the street.

But where we are building we've already talked to all the neighbours. They also wave. Then when we wave back, they see this as an invite to come across the street, introduce themselves and strike up a conversation. Two houses across the street and two houses next to us, we know their names and a bit about them - and we've only been to the house for about ten minutes each weekend to take photos.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
They just cause more trouble than what they are worth.
But we are good at it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.