Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Impressions of Oz

First Impressions of Oz

Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Impressions of Oz

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Main problem I have with this
thread, is there are no two countries on the planet with similar manners and habits than New Zealand and Australia, so to have totally different experiences in both countries is obviously a perception problem.

Even the most diehard Kiwi will agree with the gist of my statement.

I think the hint is in describing people walking around as "Gormless" Now how can you have a happy experience amongst people you deem to be Gormless.
I also confess to being amused by these comments from people. Different universes? I do recognise traits but they are often easily rationalised, and explainable, or rare. My bugbear on these forums this last 6 years are comments with no attempt to rationalise facts which are not necessarily in dispute. ie. Busy places = more chance of bad interaction. Suburbs = more gormless people compared to the CBD.

You do get curious posts, where some people ascribe traits to Kiwis, and not Australians, and then others have it the other way around entirely!

"Kiwis the most insular on the planet. 3rd world country".

"Kiwis very down to earth - nicer than Aussies"

I've always believed that some migrants have ways of perception that just work differently to many others...(funny that!)...or just think things out differently...my advice - advoid the suburbs and the malls - that will solve many, many problems!

Originally Posted by Davy
Between 'Gormless Aussie's' and 'Whinging Pommes' sometimes it good to be a 'Stupid paddy'Davy
The most happiest, and I am being mischievous, when I say that it is the morst accurate post in a long while...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 15th 2009 at 1:20 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Maybe they didn't get their 'toughen the f#$k up' tablet at immigration when they arrived.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

You're definitely not describing the Brisbane I live in......have you been solely in CBD since you arrived as that's the only thing I can think of that would create the environment you describe (and even then it seems rather alien to me).

Unfriendly people? Never come across that one anywhere I'm afraid - the complete opposite to be honest.
Not noticed being stared at, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but sure as hell haven't noticed it. I'm usually fairly aware of these things but may have been oblivious.
People being oblivious to everyone else, only in CBD and even then there's a polite recognition if a collision occurs.
Ignoring women - commented to OH the other day how nice it is that chivalry isn't dead here.
Spitting on the street, haven't noticed it personally.
Smoking, guilty. But there's ashtrays everywhere so no fagbutts everywhere which is lovely. (I have a strong hatred of cigarette butts left loafing)
Washing hands thing - WTF??? Thats a worry, but again not noticed it, but then I don't tend to keep a track of peoples conversations with their kids, too busy keeping track of mine.
Lack of manners - seriously, where in Bris are you??
Pace of life being fast, everyone walking fast - where did you come from??

I've found nothing but open and friendly people since we got here, no matter where we were, including CBD to be honest.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

concretebob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR

Probably just another bloody immigrant then

You are not in the club yet Andy!! Best to pretend your on Holiday and dont be counting any Chickens.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

No offence intended AndyR but I think you should treat this as a heads up. Maybe Aus is not the place for you. I've seen other posters in this position and have wanted to say "Don't come" but have bit my tongue because people like to bounce on you for such things. However I've seen those people come and they hate it. And it gets a lot worse if their family actually likes it.

Have you thought about NZ as an alternative?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretebob
You are not in the club yet Andy!! Best to pretend your on Holiday and dont be counting any Chickens.
Oh Andy, I so feel for you. I could be reading my own post there. It doesn't improve with time either, sorry
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh Andy, I so feel for you. I could be reading my own post there. It doesn't improve with time either, sorry
The first impressions are usually the most accurate. Imagine how he'll be after a few years.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
The first impressions are usually the most accurate. Imagine how he'll be after a few years.
I don't know if I would paint a picture as bleak as that, when I was in the UK I lived in Scotland for a long time, moved between cities up there and enjoyed all of them and then moved down to London for my career. I noticed the difference straight away, some of the same things such as people not responding to you at checkouts when you said hello or putting the change on the counter rather than handing it to you and even though I tried to give it a proper go all I could take was nine months. I then moved up to Edinburgh and thoroughly enjoyed living there (and sure things could have been the same for many other cities), what I am trying to get at is that not all cities are the same and that is the same for Australia as it is for any country. Just try and dust yourself down, go out with a fresh look at things (maybe try and block out some of your pre-Australia expectations a little) and if you still don't like Brisbane just try somewhere else

Either way, good luck and remember just go and enjoy yourself to begin with, you said you have a year of travel ahead of you, enjoy that and then worry about whether you think you would ever be able to live somewhere in Australia.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
All Aussies are British really (I can here them all now)
And all Englishmen are French
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sigourner
I don't know if I would paint a picture as bleak as that, when I was in the UK I lived in Scotland for a long time, moved between cities up there and enjoyed all of them and then moved down to London for my career. I noticed the difference straight away, some of the same things such as people not responding to you at checkouts when you said hello or putting the change on the counter rather than handing it to you and even though I tried to give it a proper go all I could take was nine months. I then moved up to Edinburgh and thoroughly enjoyed living there (and sure things could have been the same for many other cities), what I am trying to get at is that not all cities are the same and that is the same for Australia as it is for any country. Just try and dust yourself down, go out with a fresh look at things (maybe try and block out some of your pre-Australia expectations a little) and if you still don't like Brisbane just try somewhere else

Either way, good luck and remember just go and enjoy yourself to begin with, you said you have a year of travel ahead of you, enjoy that and then worry about whether you think you would ever be able to live somewhere in Australia.

First impressions are usually correct AND how will he possibly feel after a few years?? Whats bleak about it?

Either way, I think his post was refreshingly honest and gave me a giggle.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road

The part I was refering to was

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Imagine how he'll be after a few years.
Which I thought sounded a bit negative. And I was just thinking that although first impressions can be the right ones they can also be clouded by other things going on like the amazing time he had had in NZ and any preconceptions he had had before arriving in Australia, even things like having a rubbish nights sleep can affect how someone sees something so I would always say that you should give something a real go before deciding one way or the other.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sigourner
The part I was refering to was

Which I thought sounded a bit negative. And I was just thinking that although first impressions can be the right ones they can also be clouded by other things going on like the amazing time he had had in NZ and any preconceptions he had had before arriving in Australia, even things like having a rubbish nights sleep can affect how someone sees something so I would always say that you should give something a real go before deciding one way or the other.

I am negative but I dont mind Australia.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago now as we plan on spending the year traveling while we wait for our 175 to be processed. We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand before we arrived and had the most amazing time, the people there were so friendly that it totally blew us away, so we arrived in Oz really excited.

However, its not exactly been the best time so far We had done a lot of research before coming so had our exceptions set and a lot of these (food prices, costs of items, bugs etc) are all as we expected so thats fine, however one this we didn't expect to encounter is the appalling attitude of the people here!!! Things we have experienced so far:-
  • People are NOT friendly round here. Tried talking to lots of people in shops/out and about and they are just rude as hell. Say hi when you get to a checkout and they ignore you for example.
  • How many people stare at you with an expression like they have just crapped there pants?
  • People walk round completely oblivious to anyone else
  • Constantly getting bumped into where-ever you go, and no one ever says sorry
  • The way blokes in shops/restaurants ignore women is plain rude
  • People spitting on the street all the time
  • Never seen so many people smoking!!
  • Does anyone ever wash there hands in this country? No wonder swine flu is spreading so quick in Oz! Also seen lots of parents telling there little kids not to wash there hands after using the loo as its only a wee/poo ?!?!?!?
  • Total lack of manners from people
  • Racism - WOW! Its so blatant around here. Even had to get off a train early because a group of lads were harassing people on the train who were Kiwi or British, plus saw some very proud Ozzies families on the City Cat acting like complete idiots just to cause a scene.
  • Never had so many people let doors go in my face
  • People always squeeze through in front of you and look at you like you were at fault
  • Been bumped into so many times and they then look at you completely gormlessly!
  • General gormless attitude of people when you walk round, its like being in Land of the Dead.
  • The pace of life seems SOOOOO fast. Feel like your getting your heels chomped on the high street people walk so fast and everyone always seems to be in a rush wherever you go.
Hate to moan as we had been looking forward to this place for so long, but its just draining now. Like I say, before we came here we spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and they people there were met, every single one was superb. Never once felt uncomfortable, people were always friendly, if someone ever bumped you in the street they apologized etc.

All it feels like at the moment in Brisbane is London with much better weather and thats a serious shock. Everyone makes such a thing about how nice the Ozzies are but so far the only people which have been polite/civil are the Chinese/Koreans we've seen. Not seen many brits yet but every single Ozzie we have come across has been a total nightmare, and the amount of racism/crude attitude of people is a real eyeopener.

Sorry to rant, just had to vent a bit thats all. Hopefully it'll all change when we get out of Brisbane and into some less populated areas.

Australia is not for everyone.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Tend to find all cities are like this mate, maybe oz is not for you, or city life is not for you?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

Can't believe the negative comments are about the very same Brisbane I've just got back from

Sure, Brisbane isn't perfect, but I saw a totally different picture to yours whilst I was over there. People were very helpful and friendly to me. Ignorant people no different, better or worse than any other country, I've visited.

Comments about the number of people smoking are also ridiculous. Ok, so they smoke!... Big Deal! What are you..their mother? They are allowed to smoke like anyone, anywhere else, as long as its outside and not in a public place... Get over it.

You're right. Maybe it would be better to move on from Brissie, seeing you weren't that impressed..

The train to Utopia leaves in 30 mins from platform 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.