Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Impressions of Oz

First Impressions of Oz

Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Impressions of Oz

Originally Posted by dave99
Reading this my experiences have been totally different, I went to new zealand auckland for a couple of weeks to validate visa and hated it. It was a lot like what you describe aus.

Now being in perth for a few years the worst I can say about it is that its a bit backward, things are a little old fashioned but the people are completely diffferent to what you describe. At first I was suprised by how friendly people were, I wasnt used to people randomly talking to you at traffic crossings or in elevators places like that, but here they do. My advice to you would be to get out of the city, maybe ome over to perth, its a totally different experience. I lived in adelaide for a year, and can definetly say that perth is everything you expected and wanted when you first thought of comming to australia.
Yep Perth is on our list of places to travel too. Like I said in the OP, I do think it may just be the city mentality of people that is causing the problem as we are both looking forward to picking our camper up on Friday and then heading out of here. Hopefully once we get out of the main city area the people will change and be more friendly, just like what we experienced in New Zealand because if they do then it will be everything we were hoping it would be when we arrived.

Its funny as well, people told us before we went to NZ that people were rude there and we found the total opposite, so like you say its strange how different peoples experiences can be of places.

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
i have always found that when the street is really busy, walk along the path and keep shouting at yourself, no one ever bumps into me and i feel as though everyone can see me
HAHAHAHA! Will try that tomorrow
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest how do you know all these pillocks are Australians? They could be British (as well as lots of other nationalities)
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:19 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Out of interest how do you know all these pillocks are Australians? They could be British (as well as lots of other nationalities)

All Aussies are British really (I can here them all now)
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly wonder how reverse experiences like this happen sometimes.

There has to be a reason for it.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

marathonman is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear your not enjoying it.Lived there for ayear and loved it. Would consider going back only for the kids.Good luck
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:39 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AndyR
We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago now as we plan on spending the year traveling while we wait for our 175 to be processed. We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand before we arrived and had the most amazing time, the people there were so friendly that it totally blew us away, so we arrived in Oz really excited.

However, its not exactly been the best time so far We had done a lot of research before coming so had our exceptions set and a lot of these (food prices, costs of items, bugs etc) are all as we expected so thats fine, however one this we didn't expect to encounter is the appalling attitude of the people here!!! Things we have experienced so far:-
  • People are NOT friendly round here. Tried talking to lots of people in shops/out and about and they are just rude as hell. Say hi when you get to a checkout and they ignore you for example.
  • How many people stare at you with an expression like they have just crapped there pants?
  • People walk round completely oblivious to anyone else
  • Constantly getting bumped into where-ever you go, and no one ever says sorry
  • The way blokes in shops/restaurants ignore women is plain rude
  • People spitting on the street all the time
  • Never seen so many people smoking!!
  • Does anyone ever wash there hands in this country? No wonder swine flu is spreading so quick in Oz! Also seen lots of parents telling there little kids not to wash there hands after using the loo as its only a wee/poo ?!?!?!?
  • Total lack of manners from people
  • Racism - WOW! Its so blatant around here. Even had to get off a train early because a group of lads were harassing people on the train who were Kiwi or British, plus saw some very proud Ozzies families on the City Cat acting like complete idiots just to cause a scene.
  • Never had so many people let doors go in my face
  • People always squeeze through in front of you and look at you like you were at fault
  • Been bumped into so many times and they then look at you completely gormlessly!
  • General gormless attitude of people when you walk round, its like being in Land of the Dead.
  • The pace of life seems SOOOOO fast. Feel like your getting your heels chomped on the high street people walk so fast and everyone always seems to be in a rush wherever you go.

Hate to moan as we had been looking forward to this place for so long, but its just draining now. Like I say, before we came here we spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and they people there were met, every single one was superb. Never once felt uncomfortable, people were always friendly, if someone ever bumped you in the street they apologized etc.

All it feels like at the moment in Brisbane is London with much better weather and thats a serious shock. Everyone makes such a thing about how nice the Ozzies are but so far the only people which have been polite/civil are the Chinese/Koreans we've seen. Not seen many brits yet but every single Ozzie we have come across has been a total nightmare, and the amount of racism/crude attitude of people is a real eyeopener.

Sorry to rant, just had to vent a bit thats all. Hopefully it'll all change when we get out of Brisbane and into some less populated areas.
Brisbane is not all of Australia, different states or other parts of the country are very different, l think if you travel around OZ you will find there are many nice parts you like alot better and where the people are friendly like New Zealand. Try traveling to some other states and some country areas outside the big cities.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 15th 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
Now being in perth for a few years the worst I can say about it is that its a bit backward, things are a little old fashioned but the people are completely diffferent to what you describe. At first I was suprised by how friendly people were, I wasnt used to people randomly talking to you at traffic crossings or in elevators places like that, but here they do.
Is this Perth Scotland you are talking about??

I find Perth like the Brisbane the OP described. Always getting bumped into. Stared through. Just a really horrible vibe.
(Before some idiot points out that this happens in london Im sure it does but I have never lived there so I am not interested.)

But to the OP you may love it here as many people do.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

'Gormless' is a fantastically accurate way to describe the average Aussie on the street. The only people that have ever made coversation with me in the street have either been bumming change or ciggies or theyve been British.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Sorry to hear your having such a crap time but I must say apart from estate agents and car salemen I haven't really had any grief. Having said that I don't think anyone goes into the city unless they work there or for the night life. I arrived at the end of April and was supprised how good customer service was here. [apart from the 2 above]. The only problem I have is people understanding me. [GOOD BELFAST ACCENT]. I think they are listening to my accent instead of the words I'm saying but it's not a problem and it always seems to be a point to strike up a conversation.
I think if you head out of the city you'll find things different and sure at the end of day it's not a penal colony any more, you could aways go somewhere else.Davy
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:51 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago now as we plan on spending the year traveling while we wait for our 175 to be processed. We spent 3 weeks in New Zealand before we arrived and had the most amazing time, the people there were so friendly that it totally blew us away, so we arrived in Oz really excited.

However, its not exactly been the best time so far We had done a lot of research before coming so had our exceptions set and a lot of these (food prices, costs of items, bugs etc) are all as we expected so thats fine, however one this we didn't expect to encounter is the appalling attitude of the people here!!! Things we have experienced so far:-
  • People are NOT friendly round here. Tried talking to lots of people in shops/out and about and they are just rude as hell. Say hi when you get to a checkout and they ignore you for example.
  • How many people stare at you with an expression like they have just crapped there pants?
  • Does anyone ever wash there hands in this country? No wonder swine flu is spreading so quick in Oz! Also seen lots of parents telling there little kids not to wash there hands after using the loo as its only a wee/poo ?!?!?!?
  • Racism - WOW! Its so blatant around here. Even had to get off a train early because a group of lads were harassing people on the train who were Kiwi or British, plus saw some very proud Ozzies families on the City Cat acting like complete idiots just to cause a scene.
  • People always squeeze through in front of you and look at you like you were at fault
  • Been bumped into so many times and they then look at you completely gormlessly!
  • General gormless attitude of people when you walk round, its like being in Land of the Dead.
  • The pace of life seems SOOOOO fast. Feel like your getting your heels chomped on the high street people walk so fast and everyone always seems to be in a rush wherever you go.

Hate to moan as we had been looking forward to this place for so long, but its just draining now. Like I say, before we came here we spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and they people there were met, every single one was superb. Never once felt uncomfortable, people were always friendly, if someone ever bumped you in the street they apologized etc.

All it feels like at the moment in Brisbane is London with much better weather and thats a serious shock. Everyone makes such a thing about how nice the Ozzies are but so far the only people which have been polite/civil are the Chinese/Koreans we've seen. Not seen many brits yet but every single Ozzie we have come across has been a total nightmare, and the amount of racism/crude attitude of people is a real eyeopener.

Sorry to rant, just had to vent a bit thats all. Hopefully it'll all change when we get out of Brisbane and into some less populated areas.

TIA...this is australia....Waht did you expect an episode of neighbours.

Its fast paced because it is. Good money is earnt people are hungry for it. If you want a country with good social services and a comfrotable life...you are in the wrong country.

Also their is a reason why 55 thousand kiwis migrate to australia every year next to no career options in NZ.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Things we have experienced so far:-

All I can say is, I think it depends on how you interact with people, and your expectation, your sensitivity, your observation skills. Not all Australian life is about walking around in public and what goes on in shopping malls and on transport. I actually think Australians do walk slowly and gormlessly - but that is due to the car culture and suburbs with a slower pace of life. I do it myself. I think all life is slower in Australia compared to it's direct UK equivalent.

I think some aspects of Australian life are bizarre in localised areas, but there are reasons for them, and it depends where you came from too, and where you are now.

The truth is many will say the same as you, but others will only notice one or two of those you list in places like malls or in busier places. I can't say I am ever bumped into. I did bump into people on Oxford St, London! Noone ever stares at me - but I am readily understood. No real lack of manners - in fact there are migrants on these boards who consider checkout assistants to be rude when they ask how you are.

An interesting one, mate, always will create debate.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Main problem I have with this thread, is there are no two countries on the planet with similar manners and habits than New Zealand and Australia, so to have totally different experiences in both countries is obviously a perception problem.

Even the most diehard Kiwi will agree with the gist of my statement.

I think the hint is in describing people walking around as "Gormless" Now how can you have a happy experience amongst people you deem to be Gormless.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Between 'Gormless Aussie's' and 'Whinging Pommes' sometimes it good to be a 'Stupid paddy'Davy
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by leftfield
Is this Perth Scotland you are talking about??
If it was, I would be checking my pockets afterwards
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

The odd strategically placed hole in the pocket keeps them at bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.