Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Home Owners Grant

First Home Owners Grant

Old May 14th 2005, 3:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Home Owners Grant

Anyone ever applied for this - http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ - it's $7000 in aid to people buying their first home in Australia. This apply to folks like us (ie expats) or am I missing the point?
Old May 14th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: First Home Owners Grant

Originally Posted by Hutch
Anyone ever applied for this - http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ - it's $7000 in aid to people buying their first home in Australia. This apply to folks like us (ie expats) or am I missing the point?

Yes, Go for it
Ali
Old May 14th 2005, 4:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

It applies to Australian citizens and permanent residents - not those on temporary visas like 457, however.

Jeremy
Old May 14th 2005, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It applies to Australian citizens and permanent residents - not those on temporary visas like 457, however.

Jeremy
do you get more if your building? i have a mte in bris who siad its 14k if you build your first!!
Old May 14th 2005, 9:17 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
do you get more if your building? i have a mte in bris who siad its 14k if you build your first!!
Thought that went out about the same time as it did for people buying an existing house?? Will stand corrected if wrong though.
Old May 14th 2005, 9:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we have got the $7000 grant for building out first home
Old May 15th 2005, 1:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
The $14,000 grant has been discontinued, but you can get an EXTRA $5,000 if you are in Victoria, making a total of $12,000
All Victorian first home buyers who qualify for the Government’s $7000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) will be eligible for an additional $5000 grant paid by the Victorian Government known as the First Home Bonus. This brings the total Government grants available to Victorian first home buyers to $12,000.

The First Home Bonus will be available for Victorian properties where the contract is entered into on or after 1 May 2004 and before 1 July 2005, and where the consideration paid under the contract is no more than $500,000
http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/sroweb...set=iso-8859-1

Old May 15th 2005, 1:20 am
Go Banana's !!

Morning,

You can also get assistance with the stamp duty. I can only speak for WA and the fact that we are building. We got the home owners grant and upon investigation, it wasn't obvious, we got a significant proportion of the stamp duty on the land too. I think you only get it if your land is under 200k, the threshold was increased to the 200k mark in Nov. It was something we had no idea we would get, so was a real nice suprise. The settlement agent sorted it all out.

Good luck to anyone who is building

Jill

Old May 15th 2005, 5:33 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The $14,000 grant has been discontinued, but you can get an EXTRA $5,000 if you are in Victoria, making a total of $12,000
http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/sroweb...set=iso-8859-1
Yeh, but at the moment th Brack's Gov't is throwing lots of money around for a wide variety of purposes from sport to industry to housing. Is there an election due there shortly? From my experience the only time that any level of gov't starts throwing great wads around or doing work on infrastructure, is if there is an election within 12 months.
Old May 15th 2005, 6:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Yeh, but at the moment th Brack's Gov't is throwing lots of money around for a wide variety of purposes from sport to industry to housing. Is there an election due there shortly? From my experience the only time that any level of gov't starts throwing great wads around or doing work on infrastructure, is if there is an election within 12 months.
They have recently announced that this extra amount will be reduced to a $3,000 grant for first home buyers from 1 January 2006, (making only $10,000, and ceasing in 2007, (back to the Federal $7,000 only).
I think the State top up was introduced in early 2004.

The next Victorian State Election will be in November 2006, shortly before this grant expires.