Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Home Buyers Grant

First Home Buyers Grant

Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Home Buyers Grant

Just wondering if anyone has got the 12000 Dollar grant,how long did it take to come through.We moved into our house on the 7th of August and still havent got it from the Goverment yet.I know they have got all the paperwok etc.Any help would be appreciated.Cheers
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Home Buyers Grant

Originally Posted by thfc
Just wondering if anyone has got the 12000 Dollar grant,how long did it take to come through.We moved into our house on the 7th of August and still havent got it from the Goverment yet.I know they have got all the paperwok etc.Any help would be appreciated.Cheers

you can download the first home owners grant from the tax website(i think) its 7000 dollars and we went to the bank and got the manager to verify our passports and sign the form and it took less than a week to go into our account

arlene
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arlene
you can download the first home owners grant from the tax website(i think) its 7000 dollars and we went to the bank and got the manager to verify our passports and sign the form and it took less than a week to go into our account

arlene
So can anyone who hasn't bought a house in Australia before get the grant?
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Phone them up. although not in your state, mine took months. apparently it was for two reasons.. one I had two forms ( two bodies in the department dealt with them.. one for the 7 grand , the other for the 3, which mine went before a board for reasons of going over the time limit ( but I won't confuse you with that one ) . two separate applications).. anyway that wasn't the prob, the problem was the one who dealt with the 3 grand, they apparently were in the middle of an office move, and all applications were being held up.. simple answer to some probs... it was a plain case of moving office, and they were behind with a lot of their work.

Anyway ,phone the revenue office up that deals with the grant, and ask them why yours is taking so long.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 8th 2004 at 12:35 am.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
So can anyone who hasn't bought a house in Australia before get the grant?
Yes

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:45 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Probably says it on that link: Just to note though, both parties (assuming a joint purchase) have to be first time buyers to qualify. ie: I would qualify depsite not on PR because my partner is a citizen, however he has already owned property, so no money for us!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Probably says it on that link: Just to note though, both parties (assuming a joint purchase) have to be first time buyers to qualify. ie: I would qualify depsite not on PR because my partner is a citizen, however he has already owned property, so no money for us!
Could you buy it in your name alone

Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:22 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

yes we're in Victoria and we got the $12000. Our purchase went through back in July and the grant all went through at the same time. Our bank sorted it all out, we just had to fill in the forms. I would definitely be chasing it up as I think it is a straight forward thing. They may be waiting on something from you.

So....you're already in Langwarrin? We were just there a couple of weekends ago meeting up with some other expats that have moved out from Manchester.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:51 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Unfortunately not, as I dont have PR (yet!)
Old Nov 8th 2004, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point

What part of Victoria are you from,what did you think of laingwarrin,not much to do here but close enough to everything.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:07 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

What part of Victoria are you from,what did you think of laingwarrin,not much to do here but close enough to everything.

just sent you a pm.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:46 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Unfortunately not, as I dont have PR (yet!)
Why do you have to have PR to buy?
Interesting question to me too since my fiancée has already owned property but the first home owner grant is of course nice to receive. So I was thinking maybe the property should be in my name. But if you need PR then it would take at least 2 years before we could buy something...
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:46 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sander
Interesting question to me too since my fiancée has already owned property but the first home owner grant is of course nice to receive. So I was thinking maybe the property should be in my name. But if you need PR then it would take at least 2 years before we could buy something...
My understanding and I may not be entirely right on this is that you need PR to buy a previously lived in house in Aus. Alternatively if you don't have PR you can by brand new un lived in property but not a "second hand" property.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:57 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Is it a brave man or a fool who puts the property in the sole name of his lady? As much as I love and trust my own........

So is it $7,000 or $12,000 for first time buyers? As my partner is an Aussie and I'm a provisional PR neither of whom have owned property in Oz I'm assuming we'll get the cash.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Sander

I dont think you do to just buy, just that you (or your partner who has not previously bought) needs to have PR/c'ship to cash in on the first time buyers grant. Also, you do need to consider that it can be hard to get credit (cards/loans etc) if you don't have PR (but not impossible)

I think this does affect spouse type visas mainly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.