British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   First Fix Wiring Query (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/first-fix-wiring-query-896328/)

daisycutting May 4th 2017 4:17 pm

First Fix Wiring Query

Hi all,

I am timber frame chippie moving out to Perth in a few weeks from Northampton. (huzzah)
I've tried searching this question online but with little joy so im hoping someone qualified to answer might be able to help here:

1. I have a load of 2.5mm and 1.5mm twin and earth wire here am i able to use it over in Oz? - Im planning on building and have been doing a lot of first fixing anyway, so would rather save the $.

2. Is it legal for me to first fix my own property? - i understand its a bit of a grey area in the uk. If not, is that in its entirety or just things like heating/cookers.

Thanks for your time, :fingerscrossed:

spuddyo May 4th 2017 10:04 pm

Re: First Fix Wiring Query

Yes you can use and install your 2.5mm and 1.5mm T&E cable, so long as a licensed electrician tests and connects it up there's no problem. They don't seem to use ring main circuits here though, everything is connected on one long open ended circuit here which I can't fathom as its a greater risk of volt drop and a possible fire. I have tried to have discussions with local Sparkies and none of them seem to get the whole idea of diversity provided by 32A ring main circuits which is very frustrating. They seem happy to go from a 20A breaker and then have a chain of sockets going around the house. In some older houses, one circuit does everything and they wonder why when someone switches the kettle while the dishwasher and tumble dryer is on, the breaker trips.

When I re-wired my place I did five separate power circuits for kitchen, laundry, upstairs sockets, downstairs sockets, garage and shed and separate upstairs, downstairs and outside lighting circuits. Its the safest way to do it here. I considered ring mains but the Australian wiring regs don't seem to allow for it, when in Rome.......

Mains power circuits are protected by 20A breakers and lighting by 10A breakers for your cable sizes. 1.00mm is protected by 8A breakers. The quality and design of light switches and sockets here is crap too. Who ever designed the shitty 3 pin plugs that slowly unplug themselves needs shooting. And most light fittings don't have terminals big enough to take the supply wires. Crazy. That's my whinge for the day.

Toe Dipper May 5th 2017 9:54 am

Just a heads up, to make yourself blend in, refer to "rough in" and "fit off" rather than "first fix" etc. ;)

TD

daisycutting May 6th 2017 7:55 am

Thanks lads, i owe you a stubbie (?):thumbsup:

martin102 May 12th 2017 4:09 am

Make sure your cable is rated correctly, temperature wise. Its a bit warmer in roof spaces here compared to the UK. The cable is pretty cheap here.