Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First few days in Melbourne...

First few days in Melbourne...

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:01 am
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future
Thumbs up First few days in Melbourne...

Hiya

Well we arrived in Melbourne at 1.20am on Saturday the 7th August. Straight through immigration and customs. The bags were waiting for us when we got there and off we went to our apartment to find they had messed up on our booking so there we were 2 young children and nowhere to stay after an hour in the cold they took us to another place for the night....

Next morning we got a hire car the one we ordered wasn't ready so we got a free upgrade, lady luck was smiling at that moment...

From then on things moved quickly we are now 4 days in and have a house to rent for 6 months, the children start school on thursday, hubby has a job to start on monday and my brand new car arrives tomorrow...

We really like Berwick and feel that we have made the right choice, only time will tell....

We are off to do our aussie driving tests on friday so we can get cheaper car insurance, it's all go but at least you don't have time to think about family ect back in the uk..

Will update again soon

Looking forward to the expats meet has the date been confirmed yet ? if so can someone mail it to me as we are still using internet cafes !!

Vickeyvixen
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First few days in Melbourne...

Originally Posted by vickeyvixen
Hiya

Well we arrived in Melbourne at 1.20am on Saturday the 7th August. Straight through immigration and customs. The bags were waiting for us when we got there and off we went to our apartment to find they had messed up on our booking so there we were 2 young children and nowhere to stay after an hour in the cold they took us to another place for the night....

Next morning we got a hire car the one we ordered wasn't ready so we got a free upgrade, lady luck was smiling at that moment...

From then on things moved quickly we are now 4 days in and have a house to rent for 6 months, the children start school on thursday, hubby has a job to start on monday and my brand new car arrives tomorrow...

We really like Berwick and feel that we have made the right choice, only time will tell....

We are off to do our aussie driving tests on friday so we can get cheaper car insurance, it's all go but at least you don't have time to think about family ect back in the uk..

Will update again soon

Looking forward to the expats meet has the date been confirmed yet ? if so can someone mail it to me as we are still using internet cafes !!

Vickeyvixen

Blimey - it doesn't sound like you've had a moment to catch your breath! Glad it's all going well for you. We arrive on the 4th November - hopefully the weather will be better by then :-)

Good luck with it all - can't wait to get out there.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:35 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Vickey,

Bit of a dodgy start for you but you've certainly packed a lot in in your first few days.

Dicko posted a thread a few weeks ago about Berwick.

Let us know how the driving test goes, I've tried the online one and failed miserably everytime!!

Good luck and best wishes for your new life in Oz.

D D
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

Will update again soon

Vickeyvixen
Hi Vickey,

Wow you sound so organised, we've got it all to come...

We're hopefully heading Berwick way too,There seem to be good bunch of really helpful people that contribute to the forum living in that area.

Will be interested to hear how you are settling in, and maybe get to meet you one day.

Good luck with all that you have planned

Flossybean
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Vicky
sorry to hear of your bad start, glad to hear you've got so much done already though.
Had you sorted some of it out from uk?
hope the driving test goes ok.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

melbournebound is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
just a quick note about car insurance - my wife and i are working in melbourne on a 457 temp visa (applying for pr soon) we recently bought a secondhand car and were advised to take out our insurance through aami, which we did over the phone very quickly. They advised us with our driving history (no accidents etc we qualified for the highest level of no claims for life) and when i queried our uk licences they said the price of the insurance would be the same if we had a oz licence.

Also we live 5 minutes away from Berwick in Narre Warren and can reccomend berwick and the surrounding areas.

David, Janet & Adam

Hiya

Will update again soon

Vickeyvixen