Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

Hi all
after a rollercoaster couple of weeks we are now in Sydney.

Our plans for today are to go to Parramatta to look for a car.
To open a bank account
Get our tax code sorted
and perhaps to sort Medicare

What should we do this week?

Feeling in need of a bit of advice. Plus did not get time to unlock UK phones.

Thanks
Tara
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:45 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First day in Australia and do not know where to start - help please

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi all

To open a bank account
Get our tax code sorted

Thanks
Tara
Your doing all the right things, get your bank account first, we used the National because it was all set up by the time you leave the bank, get them to send a statement to your address in Oz. Then visit Medicare, this and the bank were the easiest and it will give you a couple of bits of vital stuff for getting the harder things.

Then get you TFN number, look on the web for addresses of the ATO offices, there is one smack bang in the middle of Sydney walkable from the ferries.

Phone the bank and give them you TFN number, this will stop them deducting 50% tax at source.

Get a cheap pay as you go phone asap, vodaphone were cheap and coverage in Sydney was OK.

Then off to the dreaded RTA office, pick one in a smaller away from town place, definately avoid the one in Sydney center, The Hornsby one was quite good in the end. Here youy get your RTA customer number which you need to buy a new car, not sure if you need it to buy secondhand but it can't hurt to get it.

That will do for your first week I think. There after have a holiday to get over the trauma of the whole process.

I would recomend you rent for a few years in different areas and cities before comiting to buying like I did.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

lynne & steve will become famous soon enoughlynne & steve will become famous soon enough

Hi all

To open a bank account
Get our tax code sorted

Thanks
Tara
Tara
Welcome to Australia!

The bank asked us for a tax file number - so our advice would be ..
tfn
bank
medi

But first of all
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

thanks everyone
especially about the TFN number and tax

50%!!!!!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:16 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

If i were you, i'd take my new car ad go explore Sydney for a couple of days.
A good tip.. take your car down to the Opera House car park at the weekend and you can park it there for the whole day for $15!! Lift from car park takes you straight onto the Opera House forecourt right in front of the Harbour Bridge. Fantastic views, and a walk around circular key is great fun with all the street artists and cafes.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:22 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tara

Welcome To Oz, I have been here 3 weeks and yeah we registered for Medi-care, TFN and bank account all within the first week.
Sorry to ask a question on your thread but what is RTA, we are still using a rental car but going to look for 2 2nd hand cars today.

Sharon
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:24 pm
Banned

Willy Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

Fet a PO BOX if you think you are going to be moving around.

saves all the hassle of changing addresses etc.

wish I had done this.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Willy Wonka
Fet a PO BOX if you think you are going to be moving around.

saves all the hassle of changing addresses etc.

wish I had done this.
great advice, how do you do this and how does it work
Tara

Sharon
RTA = Roads and Traffic Authority (this is where you get your license and register a car)
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:44 pm
Banned

Willy Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a problem with typing, as i dont look what I type and never check.

Go to the Post office and take some ID, Apply for it, I think its quite simple
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Hi all

To open a bank account
Get our tax code sorted

Thanks
Tara

Hi Tara

Welcome to Sydney

After doing all the sensible things above, go to Myer, treat yourself to a new frock and join us all for a few drinks at the Manly Wharf on Friday night for a good old girly night out . You made it just in time.

See you there
Louise
Old Oct 31st 2005, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi Tara

Welcome to Sydney

After doing all the sensible things above, go to Myer, treat yourself to a new frock and join us all for a few drinks at the Manly Wharf on Friday night for a good old girly night out . You made it just in time.

See you there
Louise
Thanks Louise, next time I would love to join you, this friday we have plans but thanks again. My sister lives here so she has set us up with lots to do.

Busy busy busy
Have a great night on Friday
Tara
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future

Hi Tara,

Welcome to Sydney. One tip on getting your TFN is that you can get it online. I don't have website details to hand but you should find it if you do a search. It saves all that queuing (which you'll get very used to at Medicare & the RTA!)

Good luck!

Michele
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:49 am
Just Joined

rich4efc will become famous soon enough

hi tara

we've been here for nearly a month now so it's fresh in my mind what you're going through. :scared:

opening a bank account is relatively easy, we chose HSBC because it had no bank charges & provides you with a visa debit card.

i applied for a TFN online at https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1 it arrived in the post about a week later

you can register for medicare at any number of offices around sydney.

we went to parramatta yesterday & bought a car, head for church street, there are lots of dealerships there.

good luck.

rich
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:52 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who got around to getting a medicare card after being here for 9 months and only getting a TFN after having a job for a couple of weeks, the first thing you should do is enjoy yourself. You're here, take it in and have a laugh.

Paul.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by diddy
As someone who got around to getting a medicare card after being here for 9 months and only getting a TFN after having a job for a couple of weeks, the first thing you should do is enjoy yourself. You're here, take it in and have a laugh.

Paul.
thanks, problem is that I just don't know where to rent, if I go with my heart it will be Avoca/Terrigal but on the other hand I should get a job first and let that rule where we rent!
Tara

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.