Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First cyclone warning of 2005?

First cyclone warning of 2005?

Old Jan 8th 2005, 2:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default First cyclone warning of 2005?

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20065.txt

and

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

which shows its current track
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:04 pm
Merlot

Default Re: First cyclone warning of 2005?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Batton down those hatches Pollyana!

Mind last night in Teesside I swear we lived through one, we are not as unlucky as others in the country but many times during the night I had visions of the roof flying off!

Lots of missing fences around today and the hedge rows have "grown" plastic bag fruit.

Merlot

Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Lots of missing fences around today and the hedge rows have "grown" plastic bag fruit.
Just up the road from you, my bro-in-law has spent the morning rebuilding his fence, while his girlfriends mother had to retrieve most of her shed from a couple of doors down!
Was a bit strong last night wasn't it?
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:12 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by wmoore
Just up the road from you, my bro-in-law has spent the morning rebuilding his fence, while his girlfriends mother had to retrieve most of her shed from a couple of doors down!
Was a bit strong last night wasn't it?
Oh boy yes, in fact last 2 nights have been wild. We are at the end of the road so very whippy!

The Transporter Bridge was closed yesterday due to high wind, you know you are onto a bad day then!

Whereabouts are you?

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:26 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts are you?
Lingdale (about 4 miles from Guisborough, on the Whitby road). We're staying with the in-laws just now and they have this nice bungalow where the front overlooks a field and so is totally exposed. Been trying to use the back door only for the last couple of days
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:29 pm
Merlot

Nice spot! I used to go mountain bike riding and walking in the Guisborough Hills, back when I knew what my legs were for and didn't think they were just for driving cars!

Are you on your way overseas or back>

M

Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:34 pm
What's happening dudes?

Are you on your way overseas or back>
I'll be on my way to Oz this year, all being well. Brisbane's a bit warmer than Lingdale
Old Jan 8th 2005, 3:36 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'll be on my way to Oz this year, all being well. Brisbane's a bit warmer than Lingdale
I'd say, good luck with it all.

Merlot

Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:20 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

There's one around the Cocos Islands too, Pollyanna and there was a pretty weak one which fizzled out at sea somewhere off the Karratha coast earlier in the week.
www.bom.gov.au/weather/wa/forecasts
Old Jan 8th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

You can track all cyclones here http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/
You can get as many as 5 at a time in the SW pacific. This site usually gives you a prediction in dotted line, of expected path how bad they will get. If you are interested, you can also go back and see where they all happened over the last years.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

First cyclone warning of 2005 ...

We just keep on saying how untypical the weather has been this year in QLd, theres only been a couple of really hot days, one storm worth mentioning, and the humidity most of the the time has been really low Its really strange was talking to a lifesaver while watching my boys at training, hes lived here all his life and said the same thing "wheres our typical summer" no storms, no real heat, wonder if summers going to hit with a bang in february
Old Jan 8th 2005, 8:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
First cyclone warning of 2005 ...

We just keep on saying how untypical the weather has been this year in QLd, theres only been a couple of really hot days, one storm worth mentioning, and the humidity most of the the time has been really low Its really strange was talking to a lifesaver while watching my boys at training, hes lived here all his life and said the same thing "wheres our typical summer" no storms, no real heat, wonder if summers going to hit with a bang in february
So theres hope for us in Melbourne yet then!! Not the cyclone :scared: the summer i mean
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
So theres hope for us in Melbourne yet then!! Not the cyclone :scared: the summer i mean
Cool up here has been 28/30 ish and after the last two summers thats cold alright, we had 42 several days last year and high 30's often, god it was hot, none of that this year fortunately.

Thats why when we visited melb and it was 28 and they called it HOT we loved it we think its hot when it gets 38 plus

My sons been in melb on business twice in last month, he doesnt believe me it even gets to 28! the poor guy got 18 degrees, rain, wind and a little bit of hail both times reckons he froze his wotsits off
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs

Summer is due to hit Melbourne on Tuesday. Forcast for 36. Which means Bendigo will probably get 39/40 as we are usually a few degree's hotter...

Cant wait to see how Hubby copes with working in that!!
Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Let's hope for a good drought breaking cyclone season.