Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first class,business or economy????

first class,business or economy????

Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

peterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to all
Default first class,business or economy????

can anybody give me their experiences of flights,would you go first class one way or economy,is their much difference???
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first class,business or economy????

Several hundred quid?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by peterpamnryan
can anybody give me their experiences of flights,would you go first class one way or economy,is their much difference???

I've flown business class and economy to Sydney. Once I was paying and the other my employer (guess when I was paying!).

I have to say that business was much more relaxed - you had more leg room, better and wider seats, and more attentive cabin staff. But, a few hours after arriving I don't think I noticed the difference!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Red face Re: first class,business or economy????

If you`re wadded then go first/business!! If you are me (ie skint) then go economy!!!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Put it this way, with a family of two adults and two children, the difference between economy and business/first is the price of your first car in Aus.

You only have to do it one way. The depressing thought that you've got it all to come again on the way back is not there anymore.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking on the BA website for June 1 way to Melbourne:

Economy 3000
Business 4420
First 6817

This is obviously BA so it could be different with other airlines. The service and comfort levels obviously increase as you move up through the classes, just depends on how much money you want to spend

Last edited by Teliko21; Feb 5th 2006 at 11:58 am. Reason: Oopsie wrong info
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:47 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Had a few price's for 3 Adults 1 child, B'ham to Brisbane via Dubai one way
Economy £1800.00
Business £6500.00
1st Class £ 10,000.00 :scared:
(all approx with emirates)
Suni
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Not yet mentioned is an economy upgrade if you want the extra legroom. It is very reasonable at around £300.00 extra each on a return trip.
We decided against it because we would have to pay for the children and they have plenty of legroom however they travel
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:23 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Following are prices for one adult travelling to Melbourne from Birmingham via Dubai with Emirates.

Economy £471.30
Business £1950.10
First £2329.30 (Business Class between Birmingham and Dubai)

Obviously if you can justify the extra expense (or are loaded) then First or Business is definitely the way to go - bit of a no-brainer really!

I think a more relevant question - and one which has been asked to death on BExpats - is the difference between the Economy Classes of the major airlines. From what I can gather is not to touch BA/Qantas with a 10 foot barge pole - Emirates and Singapore seem to be the best. I only have experience of Emirates but I wouldn't use any other airline to and from Australia.

There are cheaper options with Thompson Fly etc but there is no comparison with Emirates/Singapore etc. I like my knees to still be operational when I arrive. I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot barge pole - even if the flight was £149.99! Completely false economy. (Excuse the pun).
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:40 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
Following are prices for one adult travelling to Melbourne from Birmingham via Dubai with Emirates.

Economy £471.30
Business £1950.10
First £2329.30 (Business Class between Birmingham and Dubai)

Obviously if you can justify the extra expense (or are loaded) then First or Business is definitely the way to go - bit of a no-brainer really!

I think a more relevant question - and one which has been asked to death on BExpats - is the difference between the Economy Classes of the major airlines. From what I can gather is not to touch BA/Qantas with a 10 foot barge pole - Emirates and Singapore seem to be the best. I only have experience of Emirates but I wouldn't use any other airline to and from Australia.

There are cheaper options with Thompson Fly etc but there is no comparison with Emirates/Singapore etc. I like my knees to still be operational when I arrive. I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot barge pole - even if the flight was £149.99! Completely false economy. (Excuse the pun).
We flew with Japan Airlines to and from Brisbane via Toyko in July .. and we thought they were really good! They were the cheapest (£662)... so it depends on when you book, where you're flying to.. if they have any good deals at the mo... etc etc.. but I reckon we'll probably, if we can afford it, fly business the next time we fly to Oz.
Sonic
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Posted this before - real good site (wanted to book with Quantas until I saw the response) - again its only points of view.
http://www.airlinequality.com/
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:21 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

I fly a lot on business, and long haul is business class, although I've managed to blag a trade up to first once or twice.

Top of my head......business class has quicker check in, sometimes a special line though immigration, and a loune to wait before boarding. Each passanger gets more baggage allowance, and a 'blind eye' to carry on baggage.

On the flight, larger seats more leg room and less crowding. The newer airlines offer seats than go flat and turn into beds. One point is that the quantas ones are at a slight angle, and I find I slip down them when I am asleep. All have personal TV systems, but the modern airlines have the same in economy class, but if you can easily seem them is a different matter, as on North West, as soon as the person in front puts their seat back, the LCD screen is at such an angle, that it is hard to see the picture.

Food has more choice, served as several courses, and better quality. Drinks are served more frequented through the flight, basically a better quality of, and a more personal service.

First class. The seats are even bigger, the food better, the quality of the blankets better. (I think BA gave me some pajama's, and the sheets were about 2000 thread count cotton that were to die for). Sometimes there is a different lounge.

Personally I don't think first class is worth the extra over business class.

Business class has some advantages, including a lot of things that would help in taking the stress out of flying, especially a longer flight with kids. Check-in is not the long queue, the lounge can be useful, especially on a stop over. (I usually take a shower, change my kacks, and feel so much better for the next leg).

It does pay to really shop about on business class flights, and sometimes airlines you would not think of can offer some great offers. My mate flew to Brisbane with Air China (the one from Taiwan) and the business class fair was not a lot more than economy. I've flown to Tokyo a couple of times with Finnair, that kind of thing.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fortunate and am quite well travelled in first and business to Australia. Emirates first class is often cheap by comparison to say Singapore Airlines. This is for a reason, the Emirates first class does not have flat bed seats and is quite tired and old looking, dont get me wrong you can still have a decent nights sleep and the food is amazing. Emirates Business seats dont recline much at all but are very large. However, Emirates do offer a courtesy limo service to all business and first passengers.

Business class with Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay or JAL all have flat bed seats so you can really enjoy your trip in total comfort. First with Singapore is simply wonderful and they even make your bed for you with duvets and pillows as get changed into your complimentary designer PJ's ! Food is naturally awesome too.

With all the airlines (bus or first) the lounges at London and changing airport will be available and its nice to get off a plane and have a great shower and a bite to eat before the next flight. With all business/first travel you have the upgraded luggage allowance and normally 35/40 bus and 50kg first.

Ultimately its what your budget can afford. As to prices www.airlinenetwork.co.uk has some of the keenest prices for business and first travel. I have even booked with them over my corporate Amex fares which I can get.

Check out each airline and picutres of seats and flight reviews in each class at www.airlinequality.com since there really is a difference between them all.

Personally I think that Singapore Airlines cant be beat in premium class travel. First class one way would be an awesome way to start your migration.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

peterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to allpeterpamnryan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
I've been fortunate and am quite well travelled in first and business to Australia. Emirates first class is often cheap by comparison to say Singapore Airlines. This is for a reason, the Emirates first class does not have flat bed seats and is quite tired and old looking, dont get me wrong you can still have a decent nights sleep and the food is amazing. Emirates Business seats dont recline much at all but are very large. However, Emirates do offer a courtesy limo service to all business and first passengers.

Business class with Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay or JAL all have flat bed seats so you can really enjoy your trip in total comfort. First with Singapore is simply wonderful and they even make your bed for you with duvets and pillows as get changed into your complimentary designer PJ's ! Food is naturally awesome too.

With all the airlines (bus or first) the lounges at London and changing airport will be available and its nice to get off a plane and have a great shower and a bite to eat before the next flight. With all business/first travel you have the upgraded luggage allowance and normally 35/40 bus and 50kg first.

Ultimately its what your budget can afford. As to prices www.airlinenetwork.co.uk has some of the keenest prices for business and first travel. I have even booked with them over my corporate Amex fares which I can get.

Check out each airline and picutres of seats and flight reviews in each class at www.airlinequality.com since there really is a difference between them all.

Personally I think that Singapore Airlines cant be beat in premium class travel. First class one way would be an awesome way to start your migration.
thankyou so much for all your thoughts and advice ,as ever you are all so helpful,initial feeling is to go business,thankyou all
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

go business class its worth the extra cost. its a bloody long way and if you can afford it do it.

eva air do business for about £900 one way to brissy cheaper than anyone else by over £500.

they do well in the airline quality reviews also.

give em a go at:

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.