Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First Christmas Here...how do we cook a Ham?

First Christmas Here...how do we cook a Ham?

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:15 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Christmas Here...how do we cook a Ham?

Hi guys,

happy chrimbo an all that.....

first christmas in Oz and OH was "given" an uncooked ham from work.....

but we don't know how to cook it!!!

Have searched the net - but to no avail.

It has no instructions on it :scared:

Any advice greatly appreciated....then i can pass it on to OH (my friends know what a great cook i am!)

cheers, L-J
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:21 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Christmas Here...how do we cook a Ham?

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Hi guys,

happy chrimbo an all that.....

first christmas in Oz and OH was "given" an uncooked ham from work.....

but we don't know how to cook it!!!

Have searched the net - but to no avail.

It has no instructions on it :scared:

Any advice greatly appreciated....then i can pass it on to OH (my friends know what a great cook i am!)

cheers, L-J
I googled cooking+ham for you. Lots of web sites with recipes. Here is one: http://www.myhouseandgarden.com/recipes/cooked_ham.htm

Here is another one:
http://www.cookeryonline.com/Ham/Cooking%20Ham.html

Merry Christmas

Gina
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:22 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Try "the Australian Womans Weekly" website,lots of recies on there for ham!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Thanks GinaUK and gjs,

will have a look.....

just wondered if anyone had a tried and tested way of cookin a ham aussie style

L-j
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

rebh will become famous soon enoughrebh will become famous soon enough

Nigella Lawson cooks hers in coke which is very tasty and easy to do.

If you are interested I can find the recipe out for you.

Rebecca
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rebh] cooks hers in coke, which is very tasty /QUOTE]

How do you get a whole ham up yer nose? :scared:
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you put it into a big pot with water and some herbs etc, boil it up.....leave it for AGES simmering with a lid on the pot and it will cook, with lots of nice flavour.

Have a good one LJ

Love

Rudi

PS my little'n has the SHINGLES!!!!! :scared:
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Soak it in water overnight with an onion, this removes some of the salt. Drain it. Put it in more water, make sure it's covered and boil for......ages (check weight/how long). Chuck in the oven for last 30 - 45 minutes covered in honey or mustard powder - or both!
Enjoy
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

You most definitely have to soak it first before you cook it, I made that mistake the first time I cooked it and almost poisoned us all with salt! If you put it in to soak in the morning it should be fine by evening, change the water once if you remember. I cook it the Rick Stein way in a big pot with an onion with a few cloves suck in it, some back peppercorns (maybe 10), a couple of bay leaves, let it boil/simmer for the required time (check the weight) (I think its 30 mins per kg, but check that) and then towards the end of the cooking time put in some white cabbage, leeks, carrots and potatoes (they will need about 30 mins), and then its ready, and you can make soup with the stock that is left over. Its really nice, and easy to do, all cooked in the same pot and little washing up!!

Dolly
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

I'll have a look if there is a Nigella website.

Thanks for all your replies - i've passed them onto OH :scared:

oh the stresses of emigrating!!!!!!

Happy Christmas Eve Eve everyone!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:52 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I do it the Saint Delia way - (can't beat here at Christmas time!)

Soak it first - but difficult to say for how long unless you speak to the butcher - however, I just taste a bit raw after say 6 hours - not alot just a tiny sliver.

Put oven on to 160c and let heat up. Put two pieces of foil either way in a roasting tin and put meat in and pinch sides together to form a tent around the ham. Cook for 20 minutes a pound. Calculate when the last 30 minutes cooking time will be and then remove from oven. Turn gas up to 200c and while meat still hot remove the rind leaving most of the fat on underneath. Score the fat into diamond shapes and then put a clove between each diamond. Mix together English Mustard and demarara sugar and put all over the top. Cook for another 30 minutes. If serving hot leave it to rest for 45 minutes. Keeps for ages in the fridge kept in cooking paper. Lovely in the morning with eggs!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 8:06 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We have been given one too and it is bloody huge!! I don't know what to do with it either! I was thinking I might get OH to cut a couple of nice gammon steaks off it to freeze for later on and then the guy we bought a BBQ from said it was a great way to roast ham or chickens - Weber BBQ. To I am going to either give that a go or do what my mum used to do. She would cover it in honey and stick cloves in the skin, pop in in the oven covered in foil for a while and then take the foil off towards the end to get it a bit crispy on the outside. Prety easy I think and it always tasted nice.

Good luck
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:08 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
I reckon you put it into a big pot with water and some herbs etc, boil it up.....leave it for AGES simmering with a lid on the pot and it will cook, with lots of nice flavour.

Have a good one LJ

Love

Rudi

PS my little'n has the SHINGLES!!!!! :scared:

Shingles!! :scared: Poor Little Bugger!

Are you in the UK now? If so how is it going?

Merry Christmas

Rach xxxx

PS - sorry I dont have a clue how to cook ELLJAY!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

jaycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Linze, got me really worried there for a minute.
Thought you were going to cook the ham.....lol
Wondered what the sun had done to you ,,,,,lol
But then as i read more realised that you were giving the recipes to Hubby.
Thats when i realised you were ok.
See ya on Sunday
Karen
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:11 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't help Elljay but hope you find a good recipe and you enjoy many a ham concoction! My mum used to make endless variations of ham and this that or the other!

Last chance to wish you happy crimbo - I don't think there will be another chance for me to get a BE fix before Santa arrives!

Love to all.

B x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.