Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First A380 To visit Aus....

First A380 To visit Aus....

Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:56 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: First A380 To visit Aus....

Timber, no "U" in Qantas

I have no desire whatsoever to fly either plane one day, A380 will be like a can of sardines, and Emirates is already asking for a stretched version to fly 1000 passengers :scared: :scared: .

Flying LHR-SYD or the SYD-LHR non-stop on the new B777 might prove a bit difficult due to crew fatigue levels but i am sure the bean counters have a solution.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:58 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by baconmaster
really
No it's actually a windup, took me hours to hack the Qantas website and make a fake webpage
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marco121068
The thing about the record flight by Boeing this week is that there were only 35 people on board and presumably hardly any luggage. I'd like to know what the range of the aircraft is when it is fully loaded with 300 people and all their luggage.

It's still a pretty amazing achievement though.
According to Boeing, 9,420 nautical miles (17,445 kilometers) fully loaded although testing may have proven that they can in fact fly further
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Although it will suit some people to fly it in one hop, and it'll be an amazing achievement for aviation, personally I like the stop in the middle - leg stretch, wander round the shops, have a decent beer (lovely bar in HKG selling Stella and Walker's Crisps!!). Just breaks it up a bit - and thats from somone who loves flying!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:31 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Although it will suit some people to fly it in one hop, and it'll be an amazing achievement for aviation, personally I like the stop in the middle - leg stretch, wander round the shops, have a decent beer (lovely bar in HKG selling Stella and Walker's Crisps!!). Just breaks it up a bit - and thats from somone who loves flying!
Quite an achievement when you consider 103 years ago the Wright's made the first ever powered flight, the distance of which was shorter than the economy cabin of a 747!!!

Definitely wouldn't want to spend the whole London Sydney flight on a non stop plane, getting off to stretch the legs and get away from the stale cabin air for even an hour is bliss.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Quite an achievement when you consider 103 years ago the Wright's made the first ever powered flight, the distance of which was shorter than the economy cabin of a 747!!!

Definitely wouldn't want to spend the whole London Sydney flight on a non stop plane, getting off to stretch the legs and get away from the stale cabin air for even an hour is bliss.
Or that annoying git who always tends to sit infront of you whacking down their seat just as you're about to tuck into your meal
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:29 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Can some please explain to me why its not possible to invent an aircraft that just goes up vertically, and then hovers while the earth rotates underneath it, and then comes down again when it gets to the point it wants.

It would be sooo fast. Just think, lift off, fly a bit north, then hover till the UK passes underneath and then touch down again. As the UK is only 10 hours behind Oz, that would be a 10 hour flight.

I'm missing something aren't I
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:20 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Can some please explain to me why its not possible to invent an aircraft that just goes up vertically, and then hovers while the earth rotates underneath it, and then comes down again when it gets to the point it wants.

It would be sooo fast. Just think, lift off, fly a bit north, then hover till the UK passes underneath and then touch down again. As the UK is only 10 hours behind Oz, that would be a 10 hour flight.

Yes only 10hrs behind "circumferentially", but about 10 hrs flying time North. So roughly the same flying time as now if you went via Hong Kong on a good day.

As for the A380, I'll be getting my hands on it on the near future. Work on Airbus's at the momment, they build a great airplane, better than Boeing IMO, and I'm qualified to work on both. As for the 777 "Worldliner", I think there is still a lot of work to do to make it economically viable to the airlines to fly LHR - SYD direct both ways, but it will happen in the next 5 - 10yrs.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life

Or alternatively wait until continental drift brings the destination around to you?

(Actually, most Long Haul flights seem to be on this timescale anyway........)
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Yes only 10hrs behind "circumferentially", but about 10 hrs flying time North. So roughly the same flying time as now if you went via Hong Kong on a good day.
Yeah but no but yeah, but no but, If you need to fly directly north for ten hours, and the earth rotates beneath you for ten hours, then you are over the UK. So no need to fly west, just fly north and let the earths rotation do the rest. So still just a ten hour flight...

What am I missing?

Last edited by A dogs life; Nov 12th 2005 at 8:35 am.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Or alternatively wait until continental drift brings the destination around to you?

(Actually, most Long Haul flights seem to be on this timescale anyway........)

PMSL CLASS !
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:57 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Look who is in Brisbane:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/958063/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/958101/L/ :scared:
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Boomerang

Oh gawd That is one ugly plane! Of course if its brilliant, spacious, and functional inside I couldn't give a damn how ugly it looks outside.

Until my hover plane comes along...
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:18 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boomerang

Looks like a Guppy head on.