Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

first 8 weeks in nz

first 8 weeks in nz

Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:55 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up first 8 weeks in nz

ok so this is our exsperience so far.we finally emigrated from the uk to Timaru south island in September.Stephen (hubbie) is a plumber and managed to secure a job off the internet and by phone back in May and we were lucky enough his employer was happy to wait.
Us, 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog have settled in great to our new adventure.The weather is just begining to warm up and there have been some lovely warm sunny days since we have arrived.We have been in a rental house since we arrived but we also found a great house to buy within 2 weeks of being here,put an offer on the house had the paper work done and took the keys over in the space of under 3 weeks! Puts house buying in the uk to shame.Houses are selling very quick here though and prices are rising.
Our eldest daughter has settled into school really well and everybody has been so kind.Hubbie has found the plumbing a bit different and has has to slow down a bit but seems to be getting on ok.I have made lots of new friends and there is even a new comers club for people who have just moved into the area and you just go for a coffee and a chat.
Our pets arrived safe and sound and didn`t seem bothered at all which was amazing.So we are just waiting for the container to be deliverd (tuesday) and then we will feel completly settled.
The kids have found it hard with out there toys ect and have probably argued more than normal but that only to be exspected i guess.
So far we are having an amazing time and hav`nt regreted a single moment.
I know it`s not the same for everyone but so far so good.
Kerrie

Feb-started the forms
April-Medical/police checks
May-got a job offer and put in for a pr visa
1 week later application aproved
june-came out to nz for a week to check out it what we wanted
june/july/august/-waited for silly house to sell
september-left for nz
Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

what a fab start to your new life in NZ! You sound like you are loving it. I hope it all continues well for you and the family. And with summer on the way...wow!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Kerrie

Glad you made it and are settleing in well.
I will PM you later, it seems so long ago that we exchanged emails in the UK and were just starting off on the process.

Take care

Gill and Rob
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds wonderful can't wait till its my turn. we fly on dec 7th but are having problems finding rented accommodation becaseu of the dog. did you arrange yours from the uk? if so who with?

enjoy the new zealand summer
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:34 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first 8 weeks in nz

Well done on your move.

We also have arrived recently (in Dunedin) and got a rental place straight away, but are struggling to find a house to buy.

How did you find out about the newcomers group - sounds like there should be one here in Dunedin but haven't yet come acroos it (there seem to be loads of people from overseas here).

Anyway, keep posting, it will be good to hear more of your news.

Regards
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:42 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

so you finally made it there Southerner.Not seen much posting from you recently,hope its going well.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:53 am

We have been very lucky stephens employer sorted out our rental before we got here for us and luckily did let us have our pets in here although i`ve been scared stiff incase they damage anything!
I found out about the new comers group from my eldest daughters school.A lady who runs it came up to me and asked if i`d like to join.Strangley there was another new little girl in my daughters class who started the same day who had moved up from Dunedin and i have have become really good friends with her mum.It just seems very diferent here you don`t get left talking to yourself at the school gates there is always someone that will say hello its just great!
Can`t wait for summer to really kick off.My yougest who`s 3 and i already sneak off to the beach at lunch time with a picnic and only takes about 8 mins by car and then we sit there with the whole beach to ourselves with a big grin on our face
Glad to be of any help. it just seems some days your never gonna do it and then the next you can`t believe your here.
kerrie

would love to here from you Gill and Rob to here how you are getting on.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hanley

......It just seems very diferent here you don`t get left talking to yourself at the school gates there is always someone that will say hello its just great!
I know what you mean - that is just great, isn't it. That alone will keep me here!!!

My husband recently took some kids from my son's class to the swimming pool (as part of a group of parents), and when he came back he said "They spoke to me!!" (That never happened in the UK...)

Nicola.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 8:28 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Akaubear
"They spoke to me!!" (That never happened in the UK...)
I find that really interesting.

Did your husbard start the conversation or was he drawn in by someone more gregarious? I don't think people in the UK are less friendly just more reserved. As a foreigner living in the UK I had some great friends but I had to do some work...
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
I find that really interesting.

Did your husbard start the conversation or was he drawn in by someone more gregarious? I don't think people in the UK are less friendly just more reserved. As a foreigner living in the UK I had some great friends but I had to do some work...
Ah – but I'm not talking about "friends" as such. I know that takes work, whatever country you are in. I mean the "passing the time of day" acquaintances. We have both found that people will chat to you a lot more here than they ever did in England. And believe me, we did try outside the school gates, but there’s only so much rejection a person can take…

And it wasn’t just us, friends from other areas of the country said the same. Mums at the school gate are a cliquey lot in the UK (in my experience!)

Nicola.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We arrive in New Zealand on the 29th November and we can't wait

Reading this thread has made a change from the doom & gloom threads that have been on recently.

Helen
Old Nov 8th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kerrie, How good to read all this happy stuff!!! -Just what I needed!! Really delighted that things continue to go well and you sound so well settled even without the sofas!!

Hope it continues to feel like home and those regrets never come! Please keep in touch with the board when you can - we need this information!! Take care,
Old Nov 9th 2003, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Great to hear and for those reading this back in Blighty, it is worth it.

I spent the weekend exploring the beaches on the Peninsula with my daughter, sailing my Catamaran in the bay outside the house finshing off with BBQ'ed Chicken sausages in the garden (don't like red meat, another story...).

Wife and I are loving it and having the time off our lives...

Still probably spend periods of time in the UK filling up the coffers, but I aint giviing this up...

Hope you guys continue to have a good one...
Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jase the ace is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread nice to hear you are enjoying it. Makes a change from doom and gloom threads we have had recently. Keep us posted with your finding
Good luck and hope things continue to go well
Jase
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:42 pm

Default container arrived

Thanks for all your well wishes really apreciate it.
Our Container finally arived on Tuesday morning at 7.45am(took nearly 9 weeks from door to door)Such a strange feeling seeing it arrive.Nobody had touched it since it was sealed at our door in the uk which was a great.Didn`t take long to unload kids were so excited to see there toys.Only the kitchen bin lid was broken even light bulbs they had wrapped were still working.
That`s the last thing to piece of the jigsaw now and it all went so smoothly really.It makes you wonder what all the stress,worry and sleepless nights were about planing this adventure but you don`t know that then it`s just a bit of a leap of faith.
Good luck to everyone else who`s just about to do it,just go for it!!

Kerrie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.