Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The First 12 Days In Adelaide

The First 12 Days In Adelaide

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of
Smile The First 12 Days In Adelaide

Hi everyone,

what follows just about sums things up at the moment.

We arrived a Heathrow airport to find out that we were not allowed in the terminal building until our flight was almost imminent, due to the bomb scares. This meant a huge amount of waiting around. When we finally got to the departure lounge we had all the security checks. Things had been relaxed a little from 2 days before in that we were allowed a small amount of hand luggage, however we were still subject to body searches and our shoes were removed and X-rayed

The plane flight was like a huge weekend night shift. But after all the crap at Heathrow we were glad to be on board. I’d never been on such a huge plane before. Not sure what sort it was but it was apparently a “Jumbo Jet”.

Food was good and the boys didn’t do me ‘ead too much. We landed in Singapore and didn’t need to leave the departure lounge. We jumped on the Sky Train and went to terminal 2. This housed an outdoor swimming pool and although it was night time the temp was around 33 degrees C. The boys had their trunks on and in before you could shout “terrorists”.

Back on the plane; this time a smaller one; we had a further 6 hours to go before we landed in Adelaide.

No searches this end unless you had a black face, (I guess politically correctness has yet to reach Oceana) and we were in the country with validated visas.

We were met by an Aussie (Cheryl) as part of the “On Arrival Meet and Greet” service. She organised a taxi for our 9 suitcases and we were off to Adelaide Shores. This is a caravan park near West Beach. We’d pre-booked from the UK so all went smoothly in the office and we were taken to our “Executive Cabin”.

This was a nice gaff but after doing a few calculations it became clear that we were paying a small fortune to be there. The boys were having a whale of a time as it had 2 outdoor heated pools, a bouncing pillow thing and was right on the beach.

We spent a couple of hours on the beach, with Paul (my youngest) hording every shell he could find. I found a large shell that looked as though it had something inside it. As I prised it open, out fell a good sized, live octopus. We rescued him back to the briney and found out later that we shouldn’t have picked any shells up as there can be several nasties living inside.

Jetlag was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. One minute I was wide awake, the next asleep. Ray (an expat friend) came over that 1st day and I have to say that I remember very little from his visit, except for the fact that we went up in the Adelaide hills to a place called Mount Lofty and we apparently watched the sun go down.

Next day, the 1st thing we needed to do was get some wheels. I hooked up with a guy called Ian (also an expat), and we headed out to North East Road where all the car lots are situated. After walking around for most of the day I finally settled on a Mitsubishi Pajaro, did the deal and drove it back to Adelaide Shores. We were mobile!

Next on the agenda was finding a cheaper place to live.

After 4 days of looking around we found a rental place about 15 minutes east of the city and despite being up against 4 other families, we secured the place paying 3 months in advance.

The place is in a quiet suburb with 3 bedrooms and as is with most homes, a bungalow. No bloody pool though. It does have a flock of parrots that do the rounds in the afternoon. The bird wildlife is amazing. Never heard so many different bird song. Quite a bloody row if it’s not your thing.

Next, as our stuff was no where near being delivered we needed to get some basics. Off to IKEA, $1800.00 later we had beds / chairs / pots / pans etc.

Blew another $2000.00 on a fridge (with crushed ice and drinks dispenser).

Other things in between include obtaining a tax file number, dinner with 3 sets of friends, changing my driving licence to an Aussie one, opening bank accounts, finding schools for the kids – their 1st day was on Tuesday (they loved it), and considering my future.

Tomorrow we’re off the hills looking for a place to buy. We still want a gaff with some land / a pool / and 4 bedrooms in a nice area. Not asking for much, but the place can need a bit doing to it – not too bothered. The area is more important.

So that’s the current state of play. It’s been a total blur, I've spent a fortune and I haven’t even had a barbe yet. There is one in the garage here though…..

I haven’t really had time to miss anyone yet. I’m always planning what needs to be done next, but if I ever get a second to myself I guess I start with the nostalgia.

As it goes to spring in this very interesting city, I feel like a complete fish out of water. But things always seem much better when the sun is shining.

Dave.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The First 12 Days In Adelaide

Morning Dave and welcome to Adelaide

We stayed at the Caravan Park when we first arrived as well, my Aunt went mental when I told her how much it cost I thought it was cheap, but then to us from the UK it's not too bad is it until you realise just what else you could get for the same money!

We also went to Mount Lofty a few weeks ago, Cleland Conservation Park, which is just lovely. You'll have to go again when you're not so knackered

Good luck finding a house
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 1:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome down under!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC
Morning Dave and welcome to Adelaide

We stayed at the Caravan Park when we first arrived as well, my Aunt went mental when I told her how much it cost I thought it was cheap, but then to us from the UK it's not too bad is it until you realise just what else you could get for the same money!

We also went to Mount Lofty a few weeks ago, Cleland Conservation Park, which is just lovely. You'll have to go again when you're not so knackered

Good luck finding a house

Thanks Wol.

Thanks Wendy - I think you know my other half - ladywithatorch?
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Thanks Wol.

Thanks Wendy - I think you know my other half - ladywithatorch?

Yes, we had a natter last night
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave

Welcome to Adelaide.

We've been here since 4th July and can safely say we are loving it here.

We think all the major spending is over now.

Sara has got a job so at least money is going into the bank instead of flooding out.

Whereabouts is your rental?

We are at Greenacres at the moment but only for 6 months until we look to buy.

Graham

Hi everyone,

We arrived a Heathrow airport to find out that we were not allowed in the terminal building until our flight was almost imminent, due to the bomb scares. This meant a huge amount of waiting around. When we finally got to the departure lounge we had all the security checks. Things had been relaxed a little from 2 days before in that we were allowed a small amount of hand luggage, however we were still subject to body searches and our shoes were removed and X-rayed

The plane flight was like a huge weekend night shift. But after all the crap at Heathrow we were glad to be on board. I’d never been on such a huge plane before. Not sure what sort it was but it was apparently a “Jumbo Jet”.

Food was good and the boys didn’t do me ‘ead too much. We landed in Singapore and didn’t need to leave the departure lounge. We jumped on the Sky Train and went to terminal 2. This housed an outdoor swimming pool and although it was night time the temp was around 33 degrees C. The boys had their trunks on and in before you could shout “terrorists”.

Back on the plane; this time a smaller one; we had a further 6 hours to go before we landed in Adelaide.

No searches this end unless you had a black face, (I guess politically correctness has yet to reach Oceana) and we were in the country with validated visas.

We were met by an Aussie (Cheryl) as part of the “On Arrival Meet and Greet” service. She organised a taxi for our 9 suitcases and we were off to Adelaide Shores. This is a caravan park near West Beach. We’d pre-booked from the UK so all went smoothly in the office and we were taken to our “Executive Cabin”.

This was a nice gaff but after doing a few calculations it became clear that we were paying a small fortune to be there. The boys were having a whale of a time as it had 2 outdoor heated pools, a bouncing pillow thing and was right on the beach.

We spent a couple of hours on the beach, with Paul (my youngest) hording every shell he could find. I found a large shell that looked as though it had something inside it. As I prised it open, out fell a good sized, live octopus. We rescued him back to the briney and found out later that we shouldn’t have picked any shells up as there can be several nasties living inside.

Jetlag was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. One minute I was wide awake, the next asleep. Ray (an expat friend) came over that 1st day and I have to say that I remember very little from his visit, except for the fact that we went up in the Adelaide hills to a place called Mount Lofty and we apparently watched the sun go down.

Next day, the 1st thing we needed to do was get some wheels. I hooked up with a guy called Ian (also an expat), and we headed out to North East Road where all the car lots are situated. After walking around for most of the day I finally settled on a Mitsubishi Pajaro, did the deal and drove it back to Adelaide Shores. We were mobile!

After 4 days of looking around we found a rental place about 15 minutes east of the city and despite being up against 4 other families, we secured the place paying 3 months in advance.

The place is in a quiet suburb with 3 bedrooms and as is with most homes, a bungalow. No bloody pool though. It does have a flock of parrots that do the rounds in the afternoon. The bird wildlife is amazing. Never heard so many different bird song. Quite a bloody row if it’s not your thing.

Next, as our stuff was no where near being delivered we needed to get some basics. Off to IKEA, $1800.00 later we had beds / chairs / pots / pans etc.

Other things in between include obtaining a tax file number, dinner with 3 sets of friends, changing my driving licence to an Aussie one, opening bank accounts, finding schools for the kids – their 1st day was on Tuesday (they loved it), and considering my future.

Tomorrow we’re off the hills looking for a place to buy. We still want a gaff with some land / a pool / and 4 bedrooms in a nice area. Not asking for much, but the place can need a bit doing to it – not too bothered. The area is more important.

So that’s the current state of play. It’s been a total blur, I've spent a fortune and I haven’t even had a barbe yet. There is one in the garage here though…..

I haven’t really had time to miss anyone yet. I’m always planning what needs to be done next, but if I ever get a second to myself I guess I start with the nostalgia.

As it goes to spring in this very interesting city, I feel like a complete fish out of water. But things always seem much better when the sun is shining.

Dave.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 4:30 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Hi Dave

Welcome to Adelaide.

Sara has got a job so at least money is going into the bank instead of flooding out.

Graham

I love it when i see this sort of thread about Adelaide,,,,,it make sme smile as that is where we are heading of to when we gte our VISA.

all the best to you mate for heading off for pastures new.

i cnt wait to meet all you Adeladians nexy year for BBQ and few stubbies.

talk bout jealous gggrrrrrr lol
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Hi Dave

Welcome to Adelaide.

Graham

Thanks Graham.

We're currently in Tranmere. Nice little street but will be looking to buy in the next month or so.

Not familiar with Greenacres so i'll have to get my map out and see exactly where you are.

I have found things a little expensive - lots going out and nothing coming in. We're trying not to touch the equity from our house sale, but are struggling a bit. rachael starts work at the RAH tomorrow, but I have to wait for a few months before starting work - Jan next year!! So by that time i'll probably be a quivering wreck. Bit of a lean Christmas this year. lol.

Dave.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
I love it when i see this sort of thread about Adelaide,,,,,it make sme smile as that is where we are heading of to when we gte our VISA.

all the best to you mate for heading off for pastures new.

i cnt wait to meet all you Adeladians nexy year for BBQ and few stubbies.

talk bout jealous gggrrrrrr lol

Love to hook up for a few cold ones. Stay in touch. Hic!

Dave.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to Adelaide Dave and family ..

You'll soon learn to slow down and chill, and then you'll feel like you've lived here forever!

Just a word about the fridge .. check with your rental people because I believe fridges with ice thingies have to be hard wired or plumbed in or something, and we had a friend who had problems in a rental with one!

Nikki
xx
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:31 am
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

Hi everyone,

Dave.

Sounds like you have been as busy as us!! We have been here in Adelaide on a Rekkie trip for about 3.5 weeks now with another 2 to go and we have not stopped!! We love it and cant wait to come back for good next Feb!!

When you need a day of fun make sure you go to Cuddley Creek where you can hold and cuddle a Koala!! And feed Kangaroos!! My kids were made up with that and everyday since we have been here ask if we can go back today!!

We have spent the time while being here having a good look around and we are settling in the North East of Adelaide, Golden Grove. Greenwith, Wynn Vale area as that is near alot of our friends, it is so close to everything, the beach, the city, the hills etc etc, already got the kids enrolled at a fantastic school and my husband has had 2 interviews and offered both jobs, with really good pay!!!

It is very daunting when you first arrive, but it is funny how things so quickly slot into place!! Never did I think that in the 5 weeks we were here to take a look would we have achieved so much!! We have been looking at 4 bed houses and there are loads around, our friends tell us it is a buyers market, so sure you wont have a problem finding one!! With the house buying here so much easier than in the UK you will be moving in to you new house in no time!!

Good luck!!