Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Firefighter moving to Oz - Calling all ex fire brigade

Firefighter moving to Oz - Calling all ex fire brigade

Old May 11th 2005, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Firefighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Firefighter moving to Oz - Calling all ex fire brigade

I know there have been many posts on the forum about pensions. As a firefighter I have a great pension in England. Are there any firefighters who can share there experience of leaving the brigade and moving to Australia. What did you do for work? What did you do with your pension? Is there much hope of getting a similar job in Australia and is the pay enough to live on?
Thanks
FF
Old May 11th 2005, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Firefighter moving to Oz - Calling all ex fire brigade

Originally Posted by Firefighter
I know there have been many posts on the forum about pensions. As a firefighter I have a great pension in England. Are there any firefighters who can share there experience of leaving the brigade and moving to Australia. What did you do for work? What did you do with your pension? Is there much hope of getting a similar job in Australia and is the pay enough to live on?
Thanks
FF
no one???
anyone know an ex firefighter who has moved to Australia?
FF
Old May 11th 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

haggisUK will become famous soon enough

no one???
anyone know an ex firefighter who has moved to Australia?
FF

Doesn't look like many firefighters move away from UK does it??!!

I knew ex-fire officer retired to Spain, not sure if I'd be able to get in touch with him again but could try if this would be of any use?
Old May 11th 2005, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by haggisUK

I knew ex-fire officer retired to Spain, not sure if I'd be able to get in touch with him again but could try if this would be of any use?
thank you so much, I would really like to talk to people living in Australia, I think you might be right, no one goes away from the uk in the brigade
thanks for your reply
FF
Old May 12th 2005, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

grainne is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you so much, I would really like to talk to people living in Australia, I think you might be right, no one goes away from the uk in the brigade
thanks for your reply
FF
my husband was in the fireservice fulltime, left and came to melbourne at the end of feb
Old May 12th 2005, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

[QUOTE=haggisUK]Doesn't look like many firefighters move away from UK does it??!!

I think your wrong there, ive just started the process and looking to go to oz in 2006 (early).Not as a firefighter but am going to give it a good go. Dont know about the pension but do you think this government will leave it as it is some how i dont think so.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Mum, Are we there yet?!! is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by haggisUK
Just come across this thread. Hubby is f/f and we're hoping to get visa any day now (luckily shift system and poor pay meant he kept his carpentry skills uptodate). Hubby knew of f/f who went to Oz and joined and while we got our medicals there was someone from his old station getting theirs done too. Small world.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:47 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Thanks
FF
Hello,

Are you aware that outside of the metropolitan areas the fire service is mostly voluntary (this is true of Victoria and I assume the other states are the same).

I think there is an ex-firefighter on BritVics (http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx) but he came over as a carpenter. You may want to try a post on that site as well.

Regards
Alistair
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mum, Are we there yet?!!
Just come across this thread. Hubby is f/f and we're hoping to get visa any day now (luckily shift system and poor pay meant he kept his carpentry skills uptodate). Hubby knew of f/f who went to Oz and joined and while we got our medicals there was someone from his old station getting theirs done too. Small world.
hi thats a funny name.
i,ve been told that it is easier to get in the police force in oz than the fire service.once our visa is through(wife's a nurse)i will be in touch with the WA fire service to see if i can transfer over if not its truck driving and surfing.
what part of OZ are you looking to go to?
you will be surprised at how many firefighters are chucking the job and i think it will get worse.fat pig Prescott has done his job.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 3:29 am
Badge

Originally Posted by task
hi thats a funny name.
i,ve been told that it is easier to get in the police force in oz than the fire service.once our visa is through(wife's a nurse)i will be in touch with the WA fire service to see if i can transfer over if not its truck driving and surfing.
you will be surprised at how many firefighters are chucking the job and i think it will get worse.fat pig Prescott has done his job.
The Metro Fire Briagade is recruting older blokes with truck licences it may appear. We had a young spunk aged 22, a lieuy in our volunteer brigade, dead set chance of getting in - he was poster boy material - chicks would be swooning all over him - and he was turned down...

So age is not a barrier. For a few secs, I thought of doing it - I''m old and got HR - but nah.

Badge

Old Jun 29th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

chaleyscott will become famous soon enoughchaleyscott will become famous soon enough

Any ideas or info on joining the victorian fire service.Ive got 8 years experiance in london and hampshire. Cant find any website for full time brigade?

Thanks
Scotty
Old Jun 29th 2005, 10:43 am
Badge

Originally Posted by chaleyscott
Any ideas or info on joining the victorian fire service.Ive got 8 years experiance in london and hampshire. Cant find any website for full time brigade?

Thanks
Scotty
http://www.mfbb.vic.gov.au/

cheers Badge

Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Firefighter moving to Oz - Calling all ex fire brigade

hi thats a funny name.
I can't believe UK firefighters are actually complaining about their employment conditions, and not too long ago even going on strike! 2 days, 2 nights (which u can sleep on) and 4 off doesn't seem too bad to me. All this and a wage considerably above the national average, as well as a very good pension!!!

Johnnet
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnet
I can't believe UK firefighters are actually complaining about their employment conditions, and not too long ago even going on strike! 2 days, 2 nights (which u can sleep on) and 4 off doesn't seem too bad to me. All this and a wage considerably above the national average, as well as a very good pension!!!

Johnnet
wage above the national average get a life £250 in your hand a week for putting your life on the line which i have done (never again).working 48hrs aweek thats well above the national average.sleep on nights i must be in the wrong brigade.It does have its perks women love us cos were great
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road

wage above the national average get a life £250 in your hand a week for putting your life on the line which i have done (never again).working 48hrs aweek thats well above the national average.sleep on nights i must be in the wrong brigade.It does have its perks women love us cos were great
Yeah and putting peoples lives in danger by going on strike and expecting the military (who are paid paid far less than fire brigade I might add!) to pick up pieces with dodgy out of date equipment!!!
As for the 48 hrs per week - most jobs nowadays have the expectation of you doing more than basic hours without any extra pay.

Johnnet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.