Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fire Restrictions

Fire Restrictions

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fire Restrictions

I've got a few questions regarding this story:

We've lost the lot

and in particular this bit:

Fire bans came into effect at midnight last night across southeast Queensland, with firefighters hoping for a change in weather conditions to reduce the risk of further outbreaks. Bans affect the Wide Bay and Burnett region, Brisbane, Toowoomba, Caboolture and the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.

The bans, which prohibit the lighting of outdoor fires with some exceptions, will remain in place until at least October 24.
Is there somewhere that this info can be easily found? I mean, we were planning a barbi last night until I read that article in the Sunday paper. Also, what are the 'some exceptions'? It also says different things on the news each night like, 'High Fire alert', or 'Very High Fire alert'. Do these phrases actually mean things like, no outdoor fires, or no smoking in public or what?

Anybody got a good website that explains these warnings and what we are/ are not allowed to do about it.

And finally a rant. There is a field of bushlad on the way to Ormiston along route 22 that was burnt down last week, we could see the smoke, had bits of ash falling on us, and the sun was obscured. We were never in danger,we are more than a mile away, but there are loads of houses around that area that must have been panicking. The whole area is a blackened mess now. Turns out it was probably the work of kids seen leaving the area just before the fire. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE MORONS? .

Cheers,
JTL
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:36 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Fire Restrictions

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

We've lost the lot

Is there somewhere that this info can be easily found? I mean, we were planning a barbi last night until I read that article in the Sunday paper. Also, what are the 'some exceptions'? It also says different things on the news each night like, 'High Fire alert', or 'Very High Fire alert'. Do these phrases actually mean things like, no outdoor fires, or no smoking in public or what?

Anybody got a good website that explains these warnings and what we are/ are not allowed to do about it.

And finally a rant. There is a field of bushlad on the way to Ormiston along route 22 that was burnt down last week, we could see the smoke, had bits of ash falling on us, and the sun was obscured. We were never in danger,we are more than a mile away, but there are loads of houses around that area that must have been panicking. The whole area is a blackened mess now. Turns out it was probably the work of kids seen leaving the area just before the fire. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE MORONS? .

Cheers,
JTL

I found this one

http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au

and one for Victoria

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au

I think Polly may be able to help too.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:37 am
ABCDiamond

Is there somewhere that this info can be easily found? I mean, we were planning a barbi last night until I read that article in the Sunday paper. Also, what are the 'some exceptions'?
On the radio it said that one of the exceptions was properly constructed BBQ's as long as they are not left unattended. Gas BBQ's on the back patio should be OK.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We've lost the lot

Cheers,
JTL

Sorry I dont know of a website, Pollyanna might being in the fire brigade and all. But generally total fire ban means you dont light any fire without a permit
but as most australian "barbeques" are cooked on a gas grill on the back patio I am pretty sure that does not include but would include barbies that consitst of burning wood. High fire alert etc is the degree of danger you will probably see that on the weather along with the UV warning each night, generally fire bans will be published in the media. Cigarettes amazingly are not banned yet but soon will be in many places in QLD.

Sorry to say being a mile from a fire is very close, big fires can move that distance in minutes. As to the Morons, its amazing you see it all the time cigs coming out of car windows, kids are blamed for many fires too, boredom, trouble is you never hear of anyone being charged, personally I would jail them its potential murder isnt it?

No doubt someone will know the website.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:53 am
ABCDiamond

Here's a link http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/news/news.htm

The ban prohibits the lighting of all outdoor fires, with the following exemptions

1. Fires within a properly constructed barbecue are permitted, provided they are not left unattended. (Gas and electric barbecues may be used).
It also shows the areas that the bans are in force.

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

We've lost the lot

Cheers,
JTL
Have a look at the findings from the canberra bush fires. Those next to the bush were the most prepared and more often than not the houses that burnt were those a small distance from the edge of the bush. The reason was burning embers igniting flammable material near the house.

The materials included mulched flower beds next to the house (the stuff was dry and perfect tinder) and uncleared guttering. Having trees next to the house as opposed to a distance was another factor. The radiated heat from the bush is not the most common igniter of housing.

Anyway read up on it as there is plenty one can do to protect property.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 7:09 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
As to the Morons, its amazing you see it all the time cigs coming out of car windows, kids are blamed for many fires too, boredom, trouble is you never hear of anyone being charged, personally I would jail them its potential murder isnt it?

I wish I could get my hands on the moron who let off a firework near my house at 2am the other night...
Old Oct 11th 2004, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

This is beyond imagination but true, in 1983 a series of bushfires in Victoria and SA burned down 2545 buildings, 390,000 hectacres of land and killed 75 people, 43 degree heat and dry conditions were a factor but most were deliberately started by people.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

www.fire.qld.gov.au
Old Oct 11th 2004, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And the rural site mentioned earlier.
Also you can ring Fire & Rescue at any time if you are concerned about fire restrictions in your area, or any fire you think isn't being dealt with.
The HQ number is (07) 3247 8100 or you can find regional numbers through this page:
http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/about/regions/default.asp

We would rather you rang and checked on local restrictions/fires, instead of just worrying or guessing, so don't feel that you are asking silly questions.
Sorry I don't post any of this earlier, but typically its the one afternoon I wasn't in the office!
See also the thread from last week -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258953
Old Oct 11th 2004, 8:06 am
Home and Happy

I wouldn't usually cut'n'paste like this, but as its important -
--------------------------------------------------------
Local fire bans to be extended
11/10/04
Minister for Emergency Services Chris Cummins today announced that the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) has declared an extension of local fire bans to include a total of 49 local government areas.

Areas now under ban are: Beaudesert; Brisbane; Caboolture; Clifton; Dalby; Gatton; Hervey Bay; Isis; Kilkivan; Laidley; Maryborough; Mundubbera; Noosa; Redcliffe; Stanthorpe; Wambo; Woocoo; Biggenden; Bundaberg; Caloundra; Cooloola; Eidsvold; Gayndah; Inglewood; Jondaryan; Kingaroy; Logan; Millmerran; Murgon; Perry; Pittsworth; Redland; Tiaro; Warwick; Boonah; Burnett; Cambooya; Crows Nest; Esk; Gold Coast; Ipswich; Kilcoy; Kolan; Maroochy; Monto; Nanango; Pine Rivers; Rosalie; Toowoomba City; Wondai

The Bans will remain in place for 14 days (up to 24 October), during which time weather conditions will be monitored to determine if the ban needs to be extended or revoked.

The ban prohibits the lighting of all outdoor fires, with the following exemptions

1. Fires within a properly constructed barbecue are permitted, provided they are not left unattended. (Gas and electric barbecues may be used).

2. Fires for the purpose of disposal of animal carcasses are permitted, subject to the issue of a Permit to Light a Fire by the local Fire Warden or an authorised fire officer.

3. Fires of commercial necessity are permitted subject to the issue of a Permit to Light Fire by the Rural Fire Service District Inspector or an authorised fire officer.

4. Fires lit for the purpose of burning standing sugar cane for harvest in accordance with the established practice of the industry.

5. Fires lit for the purpose of burning tops and trash between the hours of 1800 (6.00 pm) and 0900 (9.00 am).

More information on fire bans and fire safety information is available from the QFRS and Rural Fire Service websites at www.fire.qld.gov.au or www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au.

The latest ban information can also be obtained at any time by phoning free call 1800 020 440.

http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/news/view.asp?id=804
Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:18 pm
Home and Happy

I make no apologies for bringing this back to the top, and for more cut'n'pasting. Some of you (probably not in Qld) may feel that the warnings are now a bit of overkill, but they are SERIOUSLY worried at work about the expected weather over the next few days, and I feel I should pass this on.

Please, please be careful, and please heed the fire bans, they can be read through the links on this thread.

==============================================
BRISBANE METROPOLITAN AREA
A fire weather warning issued for Friday.
Fine. A hot day on Friday with moderate NW winds. A fresh northerly sea breeze in eastern suburbs.
Very high fire danger, becoming extreme in the afternoon.
Brisbane for Friday ... MIN 17 MAX 34
IPSWICH AREA
Fine. A hot day on Friday with moderate gusty NW to SW winds.
Friday ... MIN 14 MAX 36
SUNSHINE COAST
Fine. A very warm to hot day with moderate to fresh NW to NE winds.
Friday ... MIN 17 MAX 29

SOUTHEAST COAST DISTRICT
Mostly fine, just the slight chance of a shower about the southern border ranges in the afternoon. A very warm to hot day with mostly moderate NW to SW winds and fresh seabreezes near the coast in the afternoon.

============

Current bushfire situation -

http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/news/view.asp?id=824
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:33 pm
ABCDiamond

and I could smell the smoke when I woke up this morning......

I could't see anything other than a haze of smoke far off in the distance, but the smell was there.

Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:37 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I could't see anything other than a haze of smoke far off in the distance, but the smell was there.
Theres a lot of stuff still burning down towards the Gold Coast, much of it in inaccessible ares. Its expected to get worse later today though......
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:38 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Yep, here too and yesterday. Don't know if anyone was in Brisbane last Friday night, but by about 5.30pm it was almost dark the smoke was that bad. It was like something out of a movie.
Apparently in NSW they are releasing low-security inmates to help out with the fires. Idiots that dont listen to the fireban make me so mad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.