Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fire Permits ARE needed regardless of what your told!

Fire Permits ARE needed regardless of what your told!

Old Dec 13th 2006, 10:20 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fire Permits ARE needed regardless of what your told!

For 2 years I may or may not have been merrily burning stuff that needed burned on the farm, so long as it wasn't a total fire ban and the conditions were right, WITHOUT a permit. The reason was I rang the council 2 years ago to get a permit and was told as I had 50 acres I didn't need one, just tell your neighbours and be careful. So this is what I've been doing. Then yesterday I needed another fire but there had been a total fire ban in place so I thought I'd better check with the rural fire service web site to check. The site showed no total fire ban in place but I did notice this time that it said to check your local council's status which I did. Well according to the website my council is a mandatory fire permit required!.

So I rang the RFS and was told yes I do need a permit and they don't know who told me I didn't and that I shouldn't have been told that. I got the permit and it's free and can all be done by fax. So for 2 years I've been risking a huge fine and imprisonment because of misinformation from the council.

So be aware people, don't take waht your told for gospel, get it in writing, Oh and every state and council are different so beware!

Last edited by arkon; Dec 13th 2006 at 10:26 pm.