Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fire Fighter Opportunities

Fire Fighter Opportunities

Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

mollydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fire Fighter Opportunities

From reading these boards I am under no illusion how difficult it is to get a job in Australia - I am also acutely aware how difficult it is going to be getting my husband a job as he is currently a fire fighter in the UK. Not only do they not recognise his points on our visa application it appears that finding a job within the service over there will be a nightmare if not an impossibility.

Has anyone any suggestions/ideas/tips?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fire Fighter Opportunities

Originally Posted by mollydog
From reading these boards I am under no illusion how difficult it is to get a job in Australia - I am also acutely aware how difficult it is going to be getting my husband a job as he is currently a fire fighter in the UK. Not only do they not recognise his points on our visa application it appears that finding a job within the service over there will be a nightmare if not an impossibility.

Has anyone any suggestions/ideas/tips?
Hiya

My hubby was a firefighter before we left the UK and he looked into joining before we arrived in January. I think he would just have to apply like anyone else when they are recruiting, he would have to go through the training and probation all over again. They only recruit at certain times of the year like in the UK and they have loads of applications which is why it is not on the wanted jobs list.

Hope this answers some of your questions, if you need anymore then let me know!

Jo
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Hiya

My hubby was a firefighter before we left the UK and he looked into joining before we arrived in January. I think he would just have to apply like anyone else when they are recruiting, he would have to go through the training and probation all over again. They only recruit at certain times of the year like in the UK and they have loads of applications which is why it is not on the wanted jobs list.

Jo
I work for Emergency Services in Qld, and I asked the Fire guys about this for a poster not long ago.
Being a firefighter doesn't gain you any points becuase there are loads of Aussies queueing up to do the job - they don't need to rely on migrant labour.
To join up you need to go through the same selection procedure as anyone else - and certainly in Qld, it doesn't matter what you did in the UK, need to start again with the new guys here. Don't rely on getting in - even if you are lucky you will probably have a considerable wait first, so be prepared to get a different job when you arrive. If you are in a more rual area you may be able to join one of the volunteer forces - do a search fo posts by "Thatsnotquiteright" - he is a volunteer down in Victoria and writes quite a lot about his experiences.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Hiya

Jo
Thanks Jo - out of interest what does your hubby do now then? did he find it easy to find work etc?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I work for Emergency Services in Qld, and I asked the Fire guys about this for a poster not long ago.
Being a firefighter doesn't gain you any points becuase there are loads of Aussies queueing up to do the job - they don't need to rely on migrant labour.
To join up you need to go through the same selection procedure as anyone else - and certainly in Qld, it doesn't matter what you did in the UK, need to start again with the new guys here. Don't rely on getting in - even if you are lucky you will probably have a considerable wait first, so be prepared to get a different job when you arrive. If you are in a more rual area you may be able to join one of the volunteer forces - do a search fo posts by "Thatsnotquiteright" - he is a volunteer down in Victoria and writes quite a lot about his experiences.

Yes - thanks, we did know all that and are actively looking for alternative work it's just part of our considerations in going; do you give up 16 years worth of experience to never to the job again. Being a probationer at 41 will not enthuse anyone!!!
Thanks for replying.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Thank Polly. In VIC, PAID 'volunteer' firefighting - ie being a permy at what is Country Fire Authority is as hard to get in as Metropolitan Fire Brigade. There are only about 8 stations that have permie staff. (A lot of people further out than say 20k from Melbourne CBD don't realise that the 3rd emergency service is volunteer - they think that the volunteers come out just for the fire season and go to the big country gigs).

It's not quite as hard but similar - again lots of blokes queing up to do it. Frankly there is no point in being a volunteer firefighter if you need the money that goes with paid firefighting. I hear SA pay their volunteers - if we got paid I would do very well - I get to more turnouts than most in my brigade.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I hear SA pay their volunteers - if we got paid I would do very well - I get to more turnouts than most in my brigade.
In WA they are talking about covering the vollie's costs, which would be nice.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:09 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

NSW , I believe, has a 3 year waiting list. Hugely popular job.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
NSW , I believe, has a 3 year waiting list. Hugely popular job.
Have to admit, firefighting (structural) is not as dangerous as it appears. The Yanks would have you believe we risk our lives at every turnout

Of course when the balloon goes up it can be dangerous but most days are OK and a lot of blokes would give their eye teeth to do it - for a good reason!

Every time they winge about pay, I think 'it's not that bad boys'. I think nurses, teachers and cops have it worse in the job stakes, and firies can moonlight.

Work have not only made me a fire warden, I'm the bod who has, by 'training and experience' been deemed to be left behind in the stairwell with the invalid and walking wounded in an evacuation until the MFB arrive. I'll drag them down the stairs before they arrive I think(!) That worries me more.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Have to admit, firefighting (structural) is not as dangerous as it appears. The Yanks would have you believe we risk our lives at every turnout

Of course when the balloon goes up it can be dangerous but most days are OK and a lot of blokes would give their eye teeth to do it - for a good reason!

Every time they winge about pay, I think 'it's not that bad boys'. I think nurses, teachers and cops have it worse in the job stakes, and firies can moonlight.

Work have not only made me a fire warden, I'm the bod who has, by 'training and experience' been deemed to be left behind in the stairwell with the invalid and walking wounded in an evacuation until the MFB arrive. I'll drag them down the stairs before they arrive I think(!) That worries me more.
Hi That's-not-quite-right, you obviously love your job as much as my hubby and giving all that up to do a regular job might be the one reason we don't go.
Thanks for your response.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Thanks Jo - out of interest what does your hubby do now then? did he find it easy to find work etc?

Before he was in the fire service he was a mechanic but he didn't want to go back to doing that. He loved his job in the fire service but the pull of living in Australia was greater!!! On his days off in the UK he used to do gardening so decided to do that over here. He has set up on his own and its not doing bad at all considering we are in Winter. He is going to see how the summer goes then decide whether to stick at it, try and get in the fire service or think of a Plan C!!!

Where is your hubby based?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Before he was in the fire service he was a mechanic but he didn't want to go back to doing that. He loved his job in the fire service but the pull of living in Australia was greater!!! On his days off in the UK he used to do gardening so decided to do that over here. He has set up on his own and its not doing bad at all considering we are in Winter. He is going to see how the summer goes then decide whether to stick at it, try and get in the fire service or think of a Plan C!!!

Where is your hubby based?

In Bristol. He does lots of things in his spare time including teaching first aid and fire safety courses to lots of local businesses but whether there is a market for that in Oz, we don't know yet.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:04 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

In Bristol. He does lots of things in his spare time including teaching first aid and fire safety courses to lots of local businesses but whether there is a market for that in Oz, we don't know yet.
Still need the Aussie qualifications.