British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   fire ants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/fire-ants-113984/)

hevsean Oct 25th 2002 2:56 pm

fire ants

So whats the deal on the Fire ants is Brisbane then ?
Problem or not a problem?

baldbutts Oct 25th 2002 4:23 pm

Re: fire ants

Jesus ! They've got fire ants in Oz ?

Any chance that they can send a couple of thousand over here to be Scabs when the fire brigade go on strike?

BB--ooh,a liitle bit of politics there

dotty Oct 28th 2002 12:21 am

If your house in Brisbane has them you have to notify the Department of Natural Resources, By Law. They swarm onto you and cause huge red pus like scabs with severe pain, they are an imported pest and could get out of control in Australias climate. Australia is doing its best to eradicate them but that is probably impossible.

kaleb777 Oct 29th 2002 1:28 am

I live near (probably in) the fire ant zone. The government is making out like they are really really trying to get rid of them all, but I just drove through a new freeway that has been built through virgin bush very close to the fire ant zone and I'm telling you there's no way they are going to get them all. This bush looks like it has been untouched by man since European colonisation, and they have no idea what's in there. They won't get them all but who cares? There are so many things that will bite, sting or poison you that one more doesn't matter. I mean there are snakes here that have 75 times the venom of the cobra but people don't give a crap. If you come across a fire ants nest you aren't going to stick around while they swarm over you and sting the living crap out of you. As soon as you get one bite you'll know it's more than just a bull ant and call the DNR who will come out and waste them. Problem solved. I haven't actually heard of anyone who has had experience with fire ants, just like most poisonous things here, they tend to live where humans aren't.

dotty Oct 29th 2002 5:39 am

Gosh I wondered why land was so cheap here!! only joking..

JustArrived Oct 29th 2002 7:12 am

Hi,

On a similar topic, has anyone come across ants with a large pincer (like a crab claw) at their back? They're 2-3 times the length of UK ants and I've seen a couple in our Perth house. Anything I should know about them (e.g., man eating)? Thanks.

kaleb777 Oct 29th 2002 6:50 pm

I think they're earwigs. I've seen those in NZ but not here in Brisbane. Are their abdomens dark brown and shiny? If it's an earwig, I don't think they sting, but I don't like their name - makes you wonder why they included the word "ear" in there doesn't it? :)

mashiraz Oct 29th 2002 8:39 pm

They like little hidey holes to curl up in to lay their eggs in. That's what I was always told.

Mash...
:D

Originally posted by kaleb777
I think they're earwigs. I've seen those in NZ but not here in Brisbane. Are their abdomens dark brown and shiny? If it's an earwig, I don't think they sting, but I don't like their name - makes you wonder why they included the word "ear" in there doesn't it? :)

Snowbird Oct 31st 2002 4:44 am

Originally posted by mashiraz
They like little hidey holes to curl up in to lay their eggs in. That's what I was always told.

Mash...
:D

?? I was told they dont lay the eggs till they are burrowed halfway through your brain? :scared: