Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FIRB approval for buying property

FIRB approval for buying property

Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default FIRB approval for buying property

Can we start the process here or do you only apply for FIRB approval once you have found a house you want to buy?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

rajparmar1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: FIRB approval for buying property

Originally Posted by Luma
Can we start the process here or do you only apply for FIRB approval once you have found a house you want to buy?
Luma - from what I understand, you have to apply for the specific property you are looking to purchase. You can exchange contracts whilst you are getting FIRB approval on the basis that the contacts are conditional on that approval.

The FIRB website might give you some more detail:

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/faq.asp?NavID=7

Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIRB approval for buying property

Thanks
We've printed off the forms - so at least we can start filling them in in the meantime.

Originally Posted by rajparmar1
Luma - from what I understand, you have to apply for the specific property you are looking to purchase. You can exchange contracts whilst you are getting FIRB approval on the basis that the contacts are conditional on that approval.

The FIRB website might give you some more detail:

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/faq.asp?NavID=7

Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Thanks
We've printed off the forms - so at least we can start filling them in in the meantime.
Do you have permanent residency or citizenship anywhere in your family? If you are or will be living in Oz legally I was under the impression you didn't have to apply for permission unless you are a foreigner wanting to buy a house - e.g. Brits without residency who just want to buy a holiday home. I may be wrong. What have others done? The reason I'm commenting here is because, once we get to Oz we'll buy a house/land (I'm a citizen and hubby has PR) and I know we don't need to apply for anything. However, the in-laws want to buy a house for their personal use when they come to visit, even though they won't be able to live there, and I know for a fact that people like them do need permission from FIRB.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:44 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

anyone who is not a citizen or the holder of a permanent visa needs FIRB approval.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are coming over on a temp 457 visa. We will be applying for PR but we'll want to buy a property ASAP. We know from others on a 457 visa that we will require FIRB approval.

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Do you have permanent residency or citizenship anywhere in your family? If you are or will be living in Oz legally I was under the impression you didn't have to apply for permission unless you are a foreigner wanting to buy a house - e.g. Brits without residency who just want to buy a holiday home. I may be wrong. What have others done? The reason I'm commenting here is because, once we get to Oz we'll buy a house/land (I'm a citizen and hubby has PR) and I know we don't need to apply for anything. However, the in-laws want to buy a house for their personal use when they come to visit, even though they won't be able to live there, and I know for a fact that people like them do need permission from FIRB.