British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Finishing school in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/finishing-school-uk-278194/)

thpinkpussycat Jan 17th 2005 6:50 pm

Finishing school in the UK

We are planning to go out to Australia in October/November if everything goes to plan. We had hoped that our daughter would finish school in July and then not have to return in the Autumn.
Is this possible?
Or would she have to attend school right up until we go?
Also we thought that if we were lucky enough to sell our house quickly we would go and stay with my parents in Yorkshire, would we then have to enrol her in school there for the Autumn term?
Has anyone been or is in a similar position?

Thanks
Sam

JAJ Jan 17th 2005 11:38 pm

Re: Finishing school in the UK

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
We are planning to go out to Australia in October/November if everything goes to plan. We had hoped that our daughter would finish school in July and then not have to return in the Autumn.
Is this possible?
Also we thought that if we were lucky enough to sell our house quickly we would go and stay with my parents in Yorkshire, would we then have to enrol her in school there for the Autumn term?

Thanks
Sam

In practical terms there is probably relatively little the school can do to force you to send her to school for the month of September. But why would you not want her to go to school - it wouldn't do her any harm?

Especially as she may not be starting school in Australia until the start of February - is a 6 month break really going to be good for her?

Jeremy

rubbeldiekatz Jan 17th 2005 11:41 pm

fishingschool?

andrew63 Jan 17th 2005 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Is this possible?

Thanks
Sam

Sam
We had the identical issue.
We arrive in Australia and our children early October and our children joined the new school within 2 weeks as a) they were bored after not going to schools since June, b) we convinced them it was good for them and c) we hoped they would make some friends for the impending summer break. It worked well and they enjoyed the school too!
We told the school exactly what we intended to do and they were OK with that. We also decided to as we could not see the point of buying new books and uniforms for 1 - 2 months and the school would not let us avoid that!
The big problem you may find is that if your children do not go to school, you may get your child benefit stopped. Worth looking into. To avoid that happening, you don't tell the school but then you risk breaking truancy laws. Maybe register your children with the Yorkshire school and delay ending them there...should give you enough time

Just my opinion! I may be wrong

Andrew