Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finished work today!

Finished work today!

Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Finished work today!

Well, school broke up for the Christmas holidays today and I had to say goodbye to my kiddies and friends from work.

I held together quite well and only really cried when they gave me presents and sang to me. I shall really miss them.

The whole school made me a beautiful card. All the children drew pictures of themselves and one of the older ones drew the school for the front. It's fantastic and something I will really treasure. I'm sure I will look back at it with much fondness.

The worst part was seeing them off at the end of the day. One of my children was clinging to me and sobbing. She just kept saying, 'Please don't leave us.' Her mum and I had to prise her off and literally drag her to the car sobbing and crying. I felt so rubbish.

But at the end of the day I guess I'll move on to other schools and other children. But this is the longest I've ever been at one school and they are like family these days. And the goodbyes have sort of gone on all week as some children left early to go on holiday and various part-time teachers came and went.

I'm just really pleased this week is over as I don't think I could have stood much more. I am emotionally and physically exhausted.

Packers arrive a week on Monday so this week will be frantic as well I guess. Cleaning and sorting.

Oh well, here's an open wine bottle and a glass. I guess tonight I'll just relax and try not to get too maudlin.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finished work today!

Originally Posted by Ushas
Well, school broke up for the Christmas holidays today and I had to say goodbye to my kiddies and friends from work.

I held together quite well and only really cried when they gave me presents and sang to me. I shall really miss them.

The whole school made me a beautiful card. All the children drew pictures of themselves and one of the older ones drew the school for the front. It's fantastic and something I will really treasure. I'm sure I will look back at it with much fondness.

The worst part was seeing them off at the end of the day. One of my children was clinging to me and sobbing. She just kept saying, 'Please don't leave us.' Her mum and I had to prise her off and literally drag her to the car sobbing and crying. I felt so rubbish.

But at the end of the day I guess I'll move on to other schools and other children. But this is the longest I've ever been at one school and they are like family these days. And the goodbyes have sort of gone on all week as some children left early to go on holiday and various part-time teachers came and went.

I'm just really pleased this week is over as I don't think I could have stood much more. I am emotionally and physically exhausted.

Packers arrive a week on Monday so this week will be frantic as well I guess. Cleaning and sorting.

Oh well, here's an open wine bottle and a glass. I guess tonight I'll just relax and try not to get too maudlin.
An emotional day over - it's nice and awful at the same time isn't it?

Good luck with your packers and move, and in the meantime try to relax.
What date do you go?
Cas
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
An emotional day over - it's nice and awful at the same time isn't it?

Good luck with your packers and move, and in the meantime try to relax.
What date do you go?
Cas

We fly on the 6th Jan. Arrive Perth 7th.

The packers are here 20th/21st December! Just over a week.

I just want it to be over now really. Back home at mum and dad's (in Perth) and relaxed knowing the worst is over.

We're going out to dinner tomorrow night with 6 of our close friends so that should be quite good.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:49 pm
Cheeky

Hi Ushas,

Gosh, dont know what to say really,I guess the thing with kids is they say what they feel. Im sure that even though they will miss you terribly they will be ok. A teacher my son had last year was fab and sadly he left and moved on and yes the kids were upset. But my son has fond memories of Mr ****** and that is wonderful. (My memories of primary school teachers are :scared: !!!)

I know I will be sad to leave my workplace (been there for a few years) and if anyone clings to my leg while Im walking away.....

Seriously though, enjoy the wine, the kids will be fine and look forward to your new life in Perth. Where you headed btw?

Cheeky
xx

Old Dec 11th 2004, 6:34 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya Ushas,
I'm not looking forward to my last day at all. I've been at this school for almost 6 years. How long were you at your school? I'm sure saying goodbye to the children is probably the worst bit as you spend so much time with them. Hopefully the worst is over now. Good luck with all the packing etc.
Love and hugs
Sarah
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teach
Hiya Ushas,
I'm not looking forward to my last day at all. I've been at this school for almost 6 years. How long were you at your school? I'm sure saying goodbye to the children is probably the worst bit as you spend so much time with them. Hopefully the worst is over now. Good luck with all the packing etc.
Love and hugs
Sarah

I started there in Sep 99. So just over 5 years. It was a small independent school and as I was IT as well as a class teacher, I taught ALL the children in the school. And I've had brothers and sisiters and seen bubs born and start school as well. It's just the idea of not watching them growing and developing into people with personalities I suppose.

I know the kids will be fine. It's just hard letting go. Their new teacher came to see their Christmas Play on Thursday and stayed and stayed and came back to the school to chat and mingle with the parents and all I could think was f*** off. This is my time with MY kids. They ain't yours till January 12th love! She kept saying things like I've spoken to my *******'s parents. NO!!!! MINE! ALL MINE!!! Dear! So that was tough and horrible and I went and hid till she left.

But they'll get on with it and forget me all together. Apart from some people I was close to there I guess I'll move on and forget eventually as well. We do don't we. It was just vile having to say goodbye. Much as I moaned and complained...I loved my job.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi Ushas,

Seriously though, enjoy the wine, the kids will be fine and look forward to your new life in Perth. Where you headed btw?

Cheeky
xx
I enjoyed the wine thoroughly thanks.

We're headed south of the river. My family are there. Ma and Pa live in Shelley and we'll be staying with them for a couple of months till we get somewhere sorted for us. We'll definitely stay SOR though. Looking at Thornlie, Canning Vale and Parkwood as good areas at the moment. But wherever has a nice house with air con will do.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:03 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
But they'll get on with it and forget me all together. Apart from some people I was close to there I guess I'll move on and forget eventually as well. We do don't we.

Hi Ushas,

the kids will not necessarily forget you altogether. I was very attached to my primary school teacher, who left the school when I was 7. That was a loooooong time ago (nearly 4 decades), but I still remember her. So, some of the kids may remember you.

Good luck with the move.

Gina