Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

fines for driving across railroad when lights are active

fines for driving across railroad when lights are active

Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fines for driving across railroad when lights are active

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do the lights keep flashing after the train has passed? Undoubtedly a way to raise revenue, but is there a genuine reason?
Driving through a level crossing when the lights are flashing is the same as driving through a red traffic light. It may look safe to you, but it is still illegal and stupid to whether or not there is any danger at the time.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why do the lights keep flashing after the train has passed? Undoubtedly a way to raise revenue, but is there a genuine reason?
They keep flashing until the train is detected as having moved into the next track section and there are no other trains approaching. Its called interlocking and is part of the signalling system. The lights start to flash when a train is detected a certain distance away no matter if a station is in the way or not.

Its got sod-all to do with revenue its plain good safe practice.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
They keep flashing until the train is detected as having moved into the next track section and there are no other trains approaching. Its called interlocking and is part of the signalling system. The lights start to flash when a train is detected a certain distance away no matter if a station is in the way or not.

Its got sod-all to do with revenue its plain good safe practice.
That's not necessarily true. The LX activation treadles can be outwith the adjacent signalling track section.

It's to ensure safety if a train is coming on the opposite direction. The lights flash for a few seconds before the boom gates come down, so once the boom gates are up they continue to flash for a few seconds in case a train approaches from the opposite direction and they need to come down again.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Driving through a level crossing when the lights are flashing is the same as driving through a red traffic light. It may look safe to you, but it is still illegal and stupid to whether or not there is any danger at the time.
Totally agree.
And of course they flash until the boom gates are totally up. The gates themselves are a hazard!
I absolutely do not understand how someone can not notice that they haven't finished flashing when they have been waiting for them to stop. Do you just set off at red lights because the road is suddenly clear??
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Indeed! Just researched a little and found this crazy situation.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sa...816-24bbm.html
That crossing is just bizarre, even in a car. I had to cross it the other week and won't be rushing back! It's a huge crossing and you have to make absolutely sure you're going to clear it before starting out. It made me nervous!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:38 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I cross it frequently it's a pain in the ass with the traffic lights too
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In the UK I used to cross the line at a level crossing in Sussex every day as a student. A railway worker there told me one day that the lights there had to flash until the barriers were fully up - that way anyone approaching knows there is still a hazard. Once the gates were fully up and the crossing ahead was clear no matter how high the vehicle, the lights stopped.
Made sense there, loads of double decker buses crossed every hour - if they had gone through without the gates fully open

At the end of the day - it's adding a margin of error.

I would suggest this is not just Nannyism, etc, lack of common sense - it's just safe practise. A line has been drawn.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:14 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

its strange here in Vic I waited for the lights to stop flashing and got hooted by the cars behind me when I came here from Sydney, so asked some locals if the rules were different here and was told no it's just no-one waits as there are so many crossings you could spend half your journey waiting

the attitude seems to be fairly common but then i do live inner west Melbourne
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
its strange here in Vic I waited for the lights to stop flashing and got hooted by the cars behind me when I came here from Sydney, so asked some locals if the rules were different here and was told no it's just no-one waits as there are so many crossings you could spend half your journey waiting

the attitude seems to be fairly common but then i do live inner west Melbourne
Reminds me of red lights in London...no time for handbrake - you've got the car on the brake - and it's Green - get that foot on the gas - and you're off!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Reminds me of red lights in London...no time for handbrake - you've got the car on the brake - and it's Green - get that foot on the gas - and you're off!
yes they are in such a hurry to have an accident!