Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fined for UK Licence only?

Fined for UK Licence only?

Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:15 am
ozduffs

Default Fined for UK Licence only?

Hi all

Reading in the West Australian today, that 1 in 3 drivers are expected to get a speeding fine this year, got me wondering:

Supposing that in a wholly fictitious example, that someone had been living in WA for more than 3 months, and then needed to show a policeman his driving licence for some reason,

Does anyone know if you can get into trouble for only not getting around to having an Australian licence, and only a UK one?

Cheers,

Mike

Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:26 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

you are supposed to carry your passport with you when you use a uk license to drive in oz, therefore it is most likely that youd end up getting a BIG fine, possibly have to go to court for driving without a valid license if you were driving over the 3 month limit of being able to use a foreign license.
Its not worth the risk
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The bigger risk IMHO is if you are driving with an invalid licience, is that your comprehensive insurance would be invalid, unless you have informed the insurance company in writing that this is what you are doing and then they still might not pay up.

So anyone doing this forget about buying insurance and drive a banger.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you showed your UK license and had an Ausie license you could be prosecuted for perverting the course of justice. Once you have converted your license you are not supposed to use the old license. This includes moving state to state. It depends on how much the policeman wants to look into things and get you.

The insurance company could refuse to pay out and in the event of death could leave you with a large pay out that might mean you losing house and home.

Last edited by bondipom; Jan 11th 2004 at 3:01 am.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:59 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Fined for UK Licence only?

Originally posted by ozduffs
Hi all

Reading in the West Australian today, that 1 in 3 drivers are expected to get a speeding fine this year, got me wondering:

Supposing that in a wholly fictitious example, that someone had been living in WA for more than 3 months, and then needed to show a policeman his driving licence for some reason,

Does anyone know if you can get into trouble for only not getting around to having an Australian licence, and only a UK one?

Cheers,

Mike
Yes, you almost certainly will get fined for driving without a licence, after the 3 months exemption period, and that fine will be on top of any other fine for speeding etc that you get stopped for. But no points!

I know from my own experience But I can't remember how much the fine was. Funny thing was that the police didnt stop me from driving on afterwards.

Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:08 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

All that said, it's worth repeating that you only must change licence with a permanent visa. People living in Aus on temporary visas can happily tool around with only their British driving licence for the full duration of their visa.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 12:32 pm
ozduffs

Okay, okay, point taken.

Can anyone answer me this-

If my friend... goes along and takes the test, say next week, 4 -5 months after being granted permanency, do you reckon they will get a fine slapped on them at that stage?

Cheers

Mike

Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, okay, point taken.

If my friend... goes along and takes the test, say next week, 4 -5 months after being granted permanency, do you reckon they will get a fine slapped on them at that stage?

Cheers

Mike
I doubt it. Ceri in QLD took 6 years to take her test and had no problems. The authorities could change their minds though. In the 4-5 months the friend runs the very small risk of being caught driving without a license.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, okay, point taken.

Cheers

Mike
I doubt it. They cant prove that they have been driving & I think thats the crux of the matter.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK licence

Originally posted by NoodleSYD
All that said, it's worth repeating that you only must change licence with a permanent visa. People living in Aus on temporary visas can happily tool around with only their British driving licence for the full duration of their visa.
Is that really true - you mean I don't have to worry about the driving test and can happily continue with my UK licence. I have a long stay temp visa. What joy.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:29 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes that's really true.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Mind you, for permanent visa holders the conversion process is so easy now (no practical test, just a theory one) there's really no excuse for avoiding it.

This driving licence thing comes up from time to time, anecdotally people only seem to get fined and caught out once they've been pulled over for something else. Ie it's the police who enforce the licence conversion process not the driving registration authorities. However, rules and guidance given to them may change in the future...

Last edited by NoodleSYD; Jan 11th 2004 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: UK licence

Originally posted by shedu
Is that really true - you mean I don't have to worry about the driving test and can happily continue with my UK licence. I have a long stay temp visa. What joy.
Just ensure that you can prove to the Police that you are only temporary. The RTA in NSW have a leaflet that says what you need for this. Not sure about other States.

Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:27 pm
ozduffs

Default Re: UK licence

Thanks everyone. I am calling the local licencing centre today.

Cheers