Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fine till We found You all!

Fine till We found You all!

Old Oct 12th 2002, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

hollywood110 is on a distinguished road
Default Fine till We found You all!

Hi,This is our first ever post on this site. We were feeling fine about migrating out to Perth until We came and read all the negativity on this site.
We have just returned from Perth with Our 3 children, We have found the suburb where We want to live and the schools for Our Children. We went in the middle of Aus winter so the weather was not a deciding factor.
We have a nice house here and the kids love their schools,My husband is a self employed carpenter and has loads of work, So WHY move? 6 months of the year our 2 small boys stand looking out of the patio doors at Our garden with all their toys covered or in the shed ,because its too cold/wet to get out doors, even in winter in perth the parks were full and people enjoying outdoor family life. The pace of living is alot slower and laid back. Also with exchange rate as it is We can sell our house and buy 2 out there, We dont expect it to be easy and I am sure We will get homesick and miss our family. Our attitude is life is short,there are people we went to school with who are dead now and will never have the opportunity. We are going to give it a very good go and if all fails We will return to England.We applied in August 2001 and our application will most likely go off to Adelaide for processing, so yet more waiting!!
All You people reading all this negative stuff listen to Your own hearts and not other peoples.
GOOD LUCK!!
Old Oct 12th 2002, 7:48 am
Just Joined

itfleming is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fine till We found You all!

You have the right idea. Perth is a great place so if you get the opportunity to move over then do it. After all you can always move back! There are heaps of negative comments on this site, some are unfortunately true, but no place in the world is perfect.

Old Oct 12th 2002, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by itfleming:
You have the right idea. Perth is a great place so if you get the opportunity to move over then do it. After all you can always move back! There are heaps of negative comments on this site, some are unfortunately true, but no place in the world is perfect.

i agree with you both try to ignore the plain negetive comments and look at the helpfull ones.
your right looking out the window at toys that are going rusty and have hardley been used.
itll be nice to buy our little boy presents for his birthday in december that he can go straight out and use and not have to hide away for 5 months.
think of the reasons your going to oz not the reasons others arecoming back. you can make your own decisions on that once youve been and tried it.
good luck out there we cant wait were getting all excited now shaun lor and olly
Old Oct 12th 2002, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hollywood110:
Hi,This is our first ever post on this site. We were feeling fine about migrating out to Perth until We came and read all the negativity on this site.
We have just returned from Perth with Our 3 children, We have found the suburb where We want to live and the schools for Our Children. We went in the middle of Aus winter so the weather was not a deciding factor.
We have a nice house here and the kids love their schools,My husband is a self employed carpenter and has loads of work, So WHY move? 6 months of the year our 2 small boys stand looking out of the patio doors at Our garden with all their toys covered or in the shed ,because its too cold/wet to get out doors, even in winter in perth the parks were full and people enjoying outdoor family life. The pace of living is alot slower and laid back. Also with exchange rate as it is We can sell our house and buy 2 out there, We dont expect it to be easy and I am sure We will get homesick and miss our family. Our attitude is life is short,there are people we went to school with who are dead now and will never have the opportunity. We are going to give it a very good go and if all fails We will return to England.We applied in August 2001 and our application will most likely go off to Adelaide for processing, so yet more waiting!!
All You people reading all this negative stuff listen to Your own hearts and not other peoples.
GOOD LUCK!!
Please dont worry, you have the right attitude to go out with so you know what to expect when your there...

We also have a young daughter (a real outdoor child) now it's getting colder it's hard explaining that she can't play outside for several hours a day, especially when she turns round and says she'll put on her hat!

I think it's good to hear about the pro's and also the con's of a Aussie lifestyle, but there are a minority of this group who insist on posting negative reports all the time.
I just read them and pass them off telling myself I bet they were no happier back home!

Hope this helps?
Julie
Adelaide by early 2003
Old Oct 12th 2002, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry about the number of whingers in this forum. It's not a representative sample of Australian migrants.

What you'll find is that the people who have gone to Australia and made something of their lives are not going to come on here and talk about it much - they've got better things to do.

However, there is a small number of people who emigrated and things have not worked out for them. They would probably be just as miserable if they were back where they came from. I get the impression that they need to find someone to blame for their unhappiness. They need to lash out and attack someone. They need to drag others down with them so that they don't feel so bad and this is where they come to do it because this is where it will have the greatest effect.

It's sad but but don't let it get to you. There are about half a dozen serious moaners on here and if you search back through all their posts you'll find the same bitterness running through.

Don't listen to the neg heads or you'll end up like them.
Old Oct 12th 2002, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough

hollywood110
unfortunally u found this site at the wrong time
i found this site a year ago,and up till sept 2002 it was a great site,everyone was excited and enthuiastic about going,
then after sept a few arseholes think it is fun trying to put people off,and worrying people.
herman dont hate oz,and he doesnt love uk,he even considered moving to prague of all places.check this out.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...threadid=98529
i am sick of my kids year after year spending their days indoors,summer sucks,i bought a mini bouncy castle and pool this summer,they got 2 weeks use out of it.
i'm not letting these sad arseholes put me off
i'm heading for the sun
good luck
rday
Old Oct 13th 2002, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

eastickaj is an unknown quantity at this point

oh i am so glad u wrote that!! i am a student nurse and my hubby is a self employed chippy....seriously fed up of working outside for 7 months of the year in wet clothes!!! we too are upset at the thought of leaving family and friends...but i cant bear the thought of waking up in 20 years time in a dead end profession, with a hubby who cant work due to arthritis from working in the cold weather, and wishing i had done something about it years ago!!! good for you guys, i really hope it goes well for you...and that it is everything you dream of for your kids. at the end of the day...most of us do it all for our kids anyway eh?!!!
good luck, angie xxxxx
Old Oct 13th 2002, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Fine till We found You all!

Originally posted by eastickaj:
oh i am so glad u wrote that!! i am a student nurse and my hubby is a self employed chippy....seriously fed up of working outside for 7 months of the year in wet clothes!!! we too are upset at the thought of leaving family and friends...but i cant bear the thought of waking up in 20 years time in a dead end profession, with a hubby who cant work due to arthritis from working in the cold weather, and wishing i had done something about it years ago!!! good for you guys, i really hope it goes well for you...and that it is everything you dream of for your kids. at the end of the day...most of us do it all for our kids anyway eh?!!!
good luck, angie xxxxx
Hi Angie, Thanks for replying on this rainy Sunday. kids going mad yet here yet again! And Your right Husband not looking forward to another winter,He is old You know 45..... . We have both been to Oz twice before so We are not going into this blind,We just cant wait to get there,like 95% of all the people on this site. Have You applied Yet and if so when? Take Care and good luck! Sharon x
Old Oct 13th 2002, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by eastickaj:
good luck, angie xxxxx
Exactly,... I woke up this morning and it was pouring with rain and the sky was grey. We attempted to go out when the rain had stopped but it soon started - as soon as we had got out of our car !! We ended up walking around the park bloody freezing!! Just think it will be like this until at least March .

The weather and lifestyle have been major deciding factors for us emigrating. We both have good high earning jobs with a great house - in fact more than most people we know. Unfortunately we cannot do a lot because it is too cold!! We spent a fortune on holidays last year, and find that we have to get some sun 2 or 3 times a year or else we go stir crazy.
Hopefully when we emigrate we will be able to holiday in Oz mostly.
If you are a go-getting out door person I am sure you will love it in Oz. If you prefer to sit in and watch the TV, then stay here, thats really all there is to do.

Best of luck everyone, surely it can't be any worse than this ?!

Tinaj
Old Oct 14th 2002, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sharon

We are going out to Perth (jan 03), I'm off to look round for schools/suburbs in November. Have you considered how you can get enrolled in a local school when you haven't yet sorted out rental/place to buy?

My understanding is that a school has to take you if you live within the "catchment area", ie guarenteed acceptance over applying to a school where you don't live locally. What I was going to try and do was enrol them in a school when I go over in November but I guess I won't be able to do this until we go over permanently in January. We were aiming to arrive during Oz summer term, to start the kids in the new school year at beginning of Feb, but until we have found a place, the school will not be automatically obliged to take you?

This could then mean that because the school is closed over the summer period, the kids couldn't start straight away until it re-opens and you can then do the enrolment bit.

Anybody else got any views on this??

Thanks Finch
Old Oct 14th 2002, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

We've put our kids (aged 7 and 2) down on the register for a school we know is good (through recommendation). It also is near where we plan to live, however depending on job we might be forced into living further away initially.

However school is our biggest priority as we want our oldest to be settled. Ideally we want to arrive Jan so he can start term with the rest, rather than joining when everyone else has settled and formed frienships already. (This is in doubt now as no visa yet!)

The school said they normally helped people from outside find a place, but we daren't take the risk, especially as kids from the city (Adelaide) put their names down as soon as they are born.

We had a confirmation letter last week saying the places are there and asking our confirmation that we still wanted them.
At least we won't have to worry about one thing when we arrive.

My only real concern is whether he's actually a year ahead and should be put in the class above, but I'm sure the school will sort this out.

Hope this helps
Mash..

Originally posted by Finch:
Hi Sharon

We are going out to Perth (jan 03), I'm off to look round for schools/suburbs in November. Have you considered how you can get enrolled in a local school when you haven't yet sorted out rental/place to buy?

My understanding is that a school has to take you if you live within the "catchment area", ie guarenteed acceptance over applying to a school where you don't live locally. What I was going to try and do was enrol them in a school when I go over in November but I guess I won't be able to do this until we go over permanently in January. We were aiming to arrive during Oz summer term, to start the kids in the new school year at beginning of Feb, but until we have found a place, the school will not be automatically obliged to take you?

This could then mean that because the school is closed over the summer period, the kids couldn't start straight away until it re-opens and you can then do the enrolment bit.

Anybody else got any views on this??

Thanks Finch
Old Oct 14th 2002, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mash

My concern was if we found a school that was good and wanted our kids to go there, that the school wouldn't guarantee places until we moved into the "catchment" area. Of course they might offer places to us whether we lived locally or not, which would be great and would depend on the enrolment policy of the school concerned, we just don't want to have to wait until we have got a place to live before we can enrol.

Ideal would be for the kids to be enrolled before we go, ready for the start of the school year. Like you we want ours (12, 8 and 6) to start off new with everybody else.

kind regards Finch

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Oct 14th 2002, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Find a school, write to them. We had to fill in a form. they asked for $20 fee to register, which we didn't send (try raising a cheque for $20 in the UK, costs as much to raise it!)

Make sure it's roughly near where you want to live, want to work and at least it's one worry off your mind. You can always reassess later, but the pressure is off.

Regards
Mash...

Thanks Mash

My concern was if we found a school that was good and wanted our kids to go there, that the school wouldn't guarantee places until we moved into the "catchment" area. Of course they might offer places to us whether we lived locally or not, which would be great and would depend on the enrolment policy of the school concerned, we just don't want to have to wait until we have got a place to live before we can enrol.

Ideal would be for the kids to be enrolled before we go, ready for the start of the school year. Like you we want ours (12, 8 and 6) to start off new with everybody else.

kind regards Finch

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Oct 14th 2002, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mash

kind regards Finch
Hi Finch
I am under the impression You need proof of rent and also proof of your visa,as this is what We was told when We went to take a look at the schools, Our kids ar 12,5 and 3.
I do not think you can enrol them until You have this proof.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Where are You thinking of going and have You got Your visas yet?

Thanks Sharon xx

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Oct 14th 2002, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

We weren't asked for that, actually we haven't even visited the school, and they've written to us at UK address, so they know where we are. I suppose every school has different policy and strictness.
Mash...

Originally posted by hollywood110: Hi Finch
I am under the impression You need proof of rent and also proof of your visa,as this is what We was told when We went to take a look at the schools, Our kids ar 12,5 and 3.
I do not think you can enrol them until You have this proof.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.