Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Canberra - IT Professional (on partner visa)

Finding work in Canberra - IT Professional (on partner visa)

Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:35 am
Just Joined

jamesfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in Canberra - IT Professional (on partner visa)

Right a few questions rolled into one that I hope someone can help me with.

I'm trying to understand what the IT Job market is like in Canberra for a non Australia citizen as I understand I won't be able to work for government agencies etc being British etc.

I'm still not sure what way is best to get my partner visa (Aus girlfriend of 4 years just moved to Canberra to go Uni) (in the UK or in Aus) and while that is being processed can I have working conditions lifted ?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in Canberra - IT Professional (on partner visa)

Originally Posted by jamesfree
Right a few questions rolled into one that I hope someone can help me with.

I'm trying to understand what the IT Job market is like in Canberra for a non Australia citizen as I understand I won't be able to work for government agencies etc being British etc.

I'm still not sure what way is best to get my partner visa (Aus girlfriend of 4 years just moved to Canberra to go Uni) (in the UK or in Aus) and while that is being processed can I have working conditions lifted ?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
If you apply in the UK its cheaper and generally quicker to process.
If you apply in Aus while on a WHV you will either go straight from the WHV to the spouse visa, or get a bridging visa when the WHV expires. Either way, you will still have the restrictions of your original visa (the WHV) as far as work goes, unless you can prove extreme hardship.