Reload this Page >

Finding work in Australia - Let's hear your experiences

Finding work in Australia - Let's hear your experiences

Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:52 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finding work in Australia - Let's hear your experiences

Originally Posted by wargod
My story....

Bumped into an ex director of my old company who has set up a business in the Uk, mentioned that i was emigrating to Aus he says where i says Brisbane he says really, i says yeah. He says come over for a chat as we are setting something up in Aus. Cutting a long story short today is my first day as IT Systems officer - IT manager it would have been called in the UK.

So far so good !
Excellent, turned out nice again.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I work in an industry where there is actually very little pettyness; it must be one of the least regulated industries in the world, yet with good rates. You get shortlisted, interviewed and get something - eventually.

My second job was offered out of the blue: I had loads of emails from recruiters asking me if I was interested in various roles. I knew a few of the recruiters from email/phone conversations 18 months previously. In the end I was placed by an unknown blonde American girl who was very professional and I got another job and a 20pc payrise in turnaround - from wo to go - in 9 days or so. She even took me out for a slapup meal in a restaurant and I went along for the tucker.

I can't believe the hoops some people have to jump through.

If I left my current line of work I would see no option but to start my own business as a semi-skilled tradie or apply to join the Metropolitan Fire Brigade/CFA but there would be serious competition and I actually doubt I would prove to be competitive enough.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:07 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Excellent, turned out nice again.
All my mates used to say that if i fell in sh!te i would come up smelling of roses, i am beginning to believe them
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
We now have permenent residency so I'm hoping that I'll soon be able to find a permanent job soon

btw I worked in public relations in the UK, I've done a bit of a shift over to marketing here in order to find work (the number of news outlets is much smaller here, and so the number of PR roles pushing stories is much smaller too!)

I work in marketing too, although back in the Uk I was in TV broadcast. I had real trouble finding a job here when I was on the temporary part of my spouse visa but it's ended up being the cause of an interesting twist. My husband runs a business and a lot of his mates are entrepreneurs. Over the past 2-3 years I've kinda found my niche in putting together marketing, brand and PR plans and implementing systems for small businesses (as well as a bit of everything as tends to happen in start-ups, in fact my OH often tells people that I'm an 'un-f**ker' when people ask him what I do )
Having said that, my latest contract finishes tomorrow and after a 4 week trip back to London I'll be on the lookout again. I've been toying with the idea of going after a 'proper job' then, now I have PR it may be easier.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
All my mates used to say that if i fell in sh!te i would come up smelling of roses, i am beginning to believe them
some people are almost born lucky - you sound like one.
Seriously luck is like a snowball. The bigger it gets, the faster it goes.
Luck breeds confidence, confidence breeds luck etc etc etc yadda yadda.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:37 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Main problem we have encountered are know-all recruitment consultants. My hubby's job is at a 6 figure level but the only real success and professionalism we have had in his area is with Sydney-based recruitment companies recruiting into Perth. The ones in Perth have been R-U-B-B-I-S-H. Most advertised jobs have already been filled/shortlisted OR they specifically want Perth experience (contacts) or they never get back to you. In my hubby's area of expertise there can;t be any more than 20 individuals who have what they are looking for, so why they don't just accept that they may have to sacrifice contacts in Perth for international experience where they are working at least 3 years ahead is a question I ask myself every day!

We have re-bugetted and can afford for my hubby to wait it out until the right job comes along and i think we are just about there but I would say that anyone wanting to get a salary in the 6 figure area that there are jobs out there, but if you are coming to Perth, you have to be prepared to wait for a bit longer than you would in the UK. I think this might even apply to mining/engineering jobs as although there are loads of shortages, the shortages seem to be because the companies want such a specific skill set and are unprepared to invest a bit of time/money training people who might meet the job requirements but not have local knowledge.

I've only today sent my first job application off and I am totally overqualified for the role but hoping it works out for me and gets my foot in the door as it is the company that I really want to work for (have wanted to work there since I was a child!).

I love Perth, it's my home, but bloody hell, there are some narrow-minded attitudes here which mean that good people are overlooked just because they don't have WA experience!

Michelle
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michellemac
anyone wanting to get a salary in the 6 figure area that there are jobs out there, but if you are coming to Perth, you have to be prepared to wait for a bit longer than you would in the UK. I think this might even apply to mining/engineering jobs as although there are loads of shortages, the shortages seem to be because the companies want such a specific skill set and are unprepared to invest a bit of time/money training people who might meet the job requirements but not have local knowledge.
I disagree with this. I'm in engineering in the mining industry. My overseas experience was totally relevant & respected. My interviews were along the lines of:
'Can you design 132kV substations?'
'Yes'.
'You're hired. Can you start tomorrow.'
I know a lot of my luck has been to do with the chronic skills shortage but as there are so many immigrants here, overseas experience is recognised.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by michellemac
Main problem we have encountered are know-all recruitment consultants.
Michelle
I had the [mis]fortune of sitting on the train yesterday next to a recruitment agent typing up emails on his blackberry. I could therefore see first hand the rubbish that goes on by peering surreptiously out of the corner of my eye. His emails were full of the usual rubbish anyone would expect to see. Waits, decisions, uncertainties, candiates - he seemed as in the dark as anyone else!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I disagree with this. I'm in engineering in the mining industry. My overseas experience was totally relevant & respected. My interviews were along the lines of:
'Yes'.
I know a lot of my luck has been to do with the chronic skills shortage but as there are so many immigrants here, overseas experience is recognised.
Fair play to you mate.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:15 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
'Yes'.

OK - I *did* say "might apply" but I do think it depends on how technical you are. The more technical the requirement, the more likely you are to be OK (so long as you have all the right qualifications).

Michelle
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend on how globally aware your recruiter is. Mine was fantastic, had great awareness of life beyond the shores of WA and Australia and could look wider than the parochial nature of many.

I would hate to have been interviewed by somebody who had never left the shores of WA and who was absolutely convinced of the superiority of WA and Australia. ((like the real estate agent managing our first house here who said that the WA real estate system was far superior to that of the UK - even though she admitted that she'd never even been to the UK (but she'd just "heard". Imagine getting a job in her office!))

But then again, I'm not sure I could work in an organisation where this culture was the norm - so it probably all works out for the best anyhow.

I don't know what advice to offer. Cast your net as wide as you can - geographically and professionally. It does amaze me when I read posts on BE from somebody back in the UK who decides that they will be living in Hillary's or the northern suburbs. When I arrived it was job first and then think about where to live.

Be as flexible as you can without compromising yourself too much. And when faced with parochialism just smile and think what a sad, narrow life the person must have. Their loss.

Start networking from the UK if you can - even if you just secure temporary work

Pollyana - I felt for you after reading your post.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:48 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

I get the impression that a lot of jobs are already taken or may not even exist, it is more of an excercise by the recruitment consultant to increase the size of his portfolio and should any future positions match whats in his portfolio then he can take the commission.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frogboy
I get the impression that a lot of jobs are already taken or may not even exist, it is more of an excercise by the recruitment consultant to increase the size of his portfolio and should any future positions match whats in his portfolio then he can take the commission.
I can't speak for Oz (yet) but in UK you'd lose accreditation if you falsely advertised a job - I worked for one of the largest high street recruitment companies and there are that many regulations, specifically for advertising you have to be very careful! Some of my clients did have nightmare hr depts and I had to keep my poor candidates waiting too, you don't want to be in that position!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:20 am

You're avin a Giraffe

Last edited by rossifumi; Jul 14th 2006 at 4:26 am. Reason: One of those days
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Ian's job was still being advertised by the recruitment agency long after he had his offer and was going through all of the visa stuff and apparently this is quite normal .
Can't say that I have a lot of respect for the recruitment system over here.
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.