Finding Work

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

pinball_wizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding Work

Hello, im looking for some advice. Im looking at the idea of moving to Australia but cannot find a sponsor for the work i do. I am an experienced sound engineer, but i have no problems becoming a labourer or being trained in another trade. Does anyone know where i can find information on companies or organisations that may be able to provide help. I thought i would point out that i am 25 too. Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:51 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Work

Hello and welcome...you might want to look over here for now, until an expert comes along..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:29 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinball_wizard
Hello, im looking for some advice. Im looking at the idea of moving to Australia but cannot find a sponsor for the work i do. I am an experienced sound engineer, but i have no problems becoming a labourer or being trained in another trade. Does anyone know where i can find information on companies or organisations that may be able to provide help. I thought i would point out that i am 25 too. Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appreciated.
Welcome,

The starting point is ensuring you have a job that is on the SOL

I've had a quick look and can only see "sound technician", on the Employer Nomination list and schedule 4 but not schedule 3 whihc means you can't apply for a 175 visa

The options, asusming you get a positive skills assessment, would be to try and find an employer willing to sponsor or to wait and see if you are on any states approved migration plan (SMP).

Might be worth trying to get a free consultation from an agent to discuss options?

Re-training may be an option but then you need to get work experience on top.

good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinball_wizard
Looking for an employer sponsor whilst you are overseas is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. You certainly won't find an employer sponsor for training in a new trade. Australia wants to import skills and keep the training for its own.

I would recommend either looking into coming over independently, or rather with state sponsorship as somebody mentioned above (search for 176 visa). Or would you consider coming over on a working holiday visa, fonding work, proving yourself and then persuading that employer to sponsor you. But if you do that, be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot, if you start labouring then it will be difficult to get a more permanent visa down the line.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 22nd 2010 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Welcome,

The starting point is ensuring you have a job that is on the SOL

I've had a quick look and can only see "sound technician", on the Employer Nomination list and schedule 4 but not schedule 3 whihc means you can't apply for a 175 visa

The options, asusming you get a positive skills assessment, would be to try and find an employer willing to sponsor or to wait and see if you are on any states approved migration plan (SMP).

Might be worth trying to get a free consultation from an agent to discuss options?

Re-training may be an option but then you need to get work experience on top.

good luck

Thanks guys, its a good start. Where did you find the relevant employer nomination list, im looking at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/ensol.pdf and cant find it. Also where can i contact an agent, i presume you mean job agency?
you have a good point Bermuda, i am thinking of taking the fruit picking route! Thats got to hurt though, lol.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

how do i find out if the state can sponsor me
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

All the states have websites. You need to go to the websites and see if your occupation is on their list of occupations that they sponsor. Then you fill in an application.

Most of the lists are currently being revised though, so it is not great timing and you might have to hold fire for a couple of months until they are all re-issued.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

I wont be wanting to go till next year anyways, but its always good to get the groundwork done early! Thanks mate
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:09 am
Just Joined

A company has emailed back offering work as a subcontractor and he said i need an ABN, what does that involve and can i get one if i travel on a working holiday visa?