Finding Work

Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding Work

Just wanting to know can anyone tell me their experiences of finding work when first getting to Oz.
We are going to Perth soon to do a reckkie and think it may be a good idea to call on some job agencies and leave our resumes.
Hubby's occupation is a Butcher by trade but also has a fork lift truck licence and does not mind what he does as long as he can get some cash in to support the family etc.
I would eventually like to work part time and have done many various jobs such as cabin crew ,Doctors receptionist,local government admin work etc.
What are our chances of finding work within weeks of getting to Perth? is it worth going to agencies or would we be better off with the local ads in the papers.
Realise that its down to us at the end of the day as to how well we present ourselves etc but is it relatively easy to get any work or does it take ages.?
Getting a bit concerned as the time is getting closer.
Any advise would be much appreciated.Dreamaway
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all
Default Re: Finding Work

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Just wanting to know can anyone tell me their experiences of finding work when first getting to Oz.
We are going to Perth soon to do a reckkie and think it may be a good idea to call on some job agencies and leave our resumes.
Hubby's occupation is a Butcher by trade but also has a fork lift truck licence and does not mind what he does as long as he can get some cash in to support the family etc.
I would eventually like to work part time and have done many various jobs such as cabin crew ,Doctors receptionist,local government admin work etc.
What are our chances of finding work within weeks of getting to Perth? is it worth going to agencies or would we be better off with the local ads in the papers.
Realise that its down to us at the end of the day as to how well we present ourselves etc but is it relatively easy to get any work or does it take ages.?
Getting a bit concerned as the time is getting closer.
Any advise would be much appreciated.Dreamaway

You shouldnt have any problems finding work - either through the papers or an agency - normally the agencies prefer it if you are living here so they can get started straight away - when we came for our rekkie - the agent told me to rather wait till we arrived else my CV will be another one on the pile. Register with www.seek.com and they will send you jobs according to your profession - there you are able to see whats available.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Capacity thats very encouraging.
We shall register with www.seek.com.
Thankyou
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi dreamaway,

I found work quite quickly. I initially thought that I wouldnt have to work here, but reality sson hit home. I registered with a few agencies and wilt centrelink. You have to go through centrelink to get a jobseeker number before you can make an appointment with many agencies????? Stupid eh!!
Anyway the agency did my a great cv and off I went.
I found that like the UK, many companies dont even bother to reply to an inquiry.
However I managed to land myself a job in a clothes store when I was on my way to an interview for another job.
Really enjoy it now, although I took a while to settle.

My advice is to really, really sell yourself at the interview. It may sound quite sickly, but you do have to be quite 'cheesey' and say how great you are at everything. this is something the british are not good at. You soon realise that we are quite a 'modest' race.

all the best

if you want any help send me a pm
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hi dreamaway,

I found work quite quickly. I initially thought that I wouldnt have to work here, but reality sson hit home. I registered with a few agencies and wilt centrelink. You have to go through centrelink to get a jobseeker number before you can make an appointment with many agencies????? Stupid eh!!
Anyway the agency did my a great cv and off I went.
I found that like the UK, many companies dont even bother to reply to an inquiry.
However I managed to land myself a job in a clothes store when I was on my way to an interview for another job.
Really enjoy it now, although I took a while to settle.

My advice is to really, really sell yourself at the interview. It may sound quite sickly, but you do have to be quite 'cheesey' and say how great you are at everything. this is something the british are not good at. You soon realise that we are quite a 'modest' race.

all the best

if you want any help send me a pm
Hi Sandra and thankyou for the reply
I have been in contact with you a while ago on expats and noticed then you were off to Perth.How are you finding it?
I think you are right about us Brits being modest.
I shall have to get my super confident head on then when attending interviews.
Something a bit like the Americans then?
They must like you to be like that.Trouble is I have not worked for a while as I have been bringing up my little ones so my confidence in that area has gone a little.One thing is I can talk for England and that usually works.
Glad to hear the job is going okay and that you did not have too much trouble finding work.
Did the Agency help to re-write your CV(RESUME) as from what I understand they are much more detailed than Uk CV's?