Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding a new deal for phone, internet etc

Finding a new deal for phone, internet etc

Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Finding a new deal for phone, internet etc

Looking to change our deal with telstra, we seem to pay alot for phone, mobile and internet with them, also how do get our of contract i think we have 3 yrs they didn't tell us this when we signed up!! Anysuggestions would be greatfully recieved, thanks.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finding a new deal for phone, internet etc

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Looking to change our deal with telstra, we seem to pay alot for phone, mobile and internet with them, also how do get our of contract i think we have 3 yrs they didn't tell us this when we signed up!! Anysuggestions would be greatfully recieved, thanks.
You can't get out of the contract.
I'm also with telstra, better the devel you know!!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Optus fusion 50GB ADSL2+ and Phone line with Unlimited Local, National and Mobile calls was $129 now $99.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:23 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

TPG:

$30 phone + $30 unlimited ADSL2+.... (6 month contract)

If the deal wasnt available to 'new customers only' I'd be signing up quick smart.

throw in $5 a month of mynetfone for voip and you have a complete telco unlimited package for $65 a month.... (including free calls to UK and as much TV as you can shake a stick at via the usual shady sources!)

Last edited by DadAgain; Oct 29th 2010 at 4:29 am.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

http://www.phonechoice.com.au/
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:23 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If you are locked into a contract with Telstra then renegotiate it to take advantage of the new bundle offers. Sure, you might have to recontract for 2 years but at least you'll have not such a bad deal and the bundle allowances are pretty good value.

http://www.telstra.com.au/bundle_save/home-bundles.html

Ask them to check through your bill also for the savings you can make. You should ge getting $10 off each mobile service and $10 off Foxtel amongst a raft of other things if it's all billed together in one invoice.

At least that way you may not be able to worm out of the contract but save yourself a heap.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:37 am
Just Joined

benreffell is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get out of the contract any time you want, by law, as I understand it. Though you will have to pay the early termination fee quoted in your contract which can be exorbitant! But you should save this amount fairly quickly if you sign up to one of the best deals currently available.

I've just signed up with TPG for $30 ADSL2+ unlimited package (+ homeline $30) as DadAgain mentioned.

They would be a good option for you as they use Telstra line etc. So you should have no problems changing over. Even though I'm not a heavy user currently, I decided to sign up for unlimited package as it was only another $20 compared to their chapest 10Gig package ($9.99) that I was initially going to go for.

One word of warning to those of you NOT currently a Telstra customer though if you live in an apartment/unit, they only connect to the MDF (junction box in your building), it is up to you to take care of the line from the MDF to your unit. No problem, I thought, as I have a dial tone on the current phone (emergency calls only) and will get a Telstra message "this service is not currently available etc. please contact Telstra to connect etc". How wrong I was, you have to pay another $99 to get the two lines patched together, a 2min job at most. But the Telstra techie they use can't touch the terminals on the other side of the MDF as they belong to the building, and yet I can hire a separate techie to do the job, why can't I just pay TPG. No one seems to have a full explanation on Whirlpool forums, several different reasons quoted. I wouldn't have minded a bit to pay for that as it's effectively a new line connection but they (TPG & other telco's) don't explain it properly, so now I've been paying TPG for a service not yet connected!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

Just got out of helstra contract and gone to internode easy naked adsl2+ 150 gb for $59 month.
use a voip provider so no line rental.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

benreffell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benreffell
so now I've been paying TPG for a service not yet connected!!
TPG connected us yesterday, loving the fast ADSL2+ compared to my wireless, especially as it rained last night and my speed didn't even drop! haha!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benreffell
TPG connected us yesterday, loving the fast ADSL2+ compared to my wireless, especially as it rained last night and my speed didn't even drop! haha!
I've also signed up for the TPG unlimited deal. How long did it take for your service to become active...my service status says install requested from Telstra on 20th Oct...then nothing further? I know I'm still not even into the 10 - 20 business days (!) they quote for connection. The home phone number they gave me rings out but is certainly not connected to anything at my end, old number still works.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:04 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've also signed up for the TPG unlimited deal. How long did it take for your service to become active...my service status says install requested from Telstra on 20th Oct...then nothing further? I know I'm still not even into the 10 - 20 business days (!) they quote for connection. The home phone number they gave me rings out but is certainly not connected to anything at my end, old number still works.
As far as I know, connection times vary... but setting up the homephone + internet does take a little longer than internet on its own.

Apparently TPG phone support is very poor. Your best bet is to set up an account on the whirlpool forum, if you don't have one already, then go to this thread and ask a TPG rep for an update. I'd wait another couple of days first though.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
As far as I know, connection times vary... but setting up the homephone + internet does take a little longer than internet on its own.

Apparently TPG phone support is very poor. Your best bet is to set up an account on the whirlpool forum, if you don't have one already, then go to this thread and ask a TPG rep for an update. I'd wait another couple of days first though.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I had heard they can be a bit ropey & I'd rather go with iinet to be honest. But my new job will pay upto $60 of a homephone / internet bundle so I couldn't resist! I figure once it's up & running I shouldn't have much call to deal with them.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:20 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Thanks for that. Yeah, I had heard they can be a bit ropey & I'd rather go with iinet to be honest. But my new job will pay upto $60 of a homephone / internet bundle so I couldn't resist! I figure once it's up & running I shouldn't have much call to deal with them.
Yep, I wouldn't let the poor quality support put you off. Lucky you for getting that through work, too !!!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:43 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

With all these people signing up to a TPG 'unlimited' deal, I wonder how long before the 'my internet is slowing to a crawl' threads start appearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.