Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding my old Tax File Number!?

Finding my old Tax File Number!?

Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:57 am
Just Joined

dave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant future
Default Finding my old Tax File Number!?

Hi all,

I had a TFN about 6 years ago when I was on a working holiday visa. Fearing that the australians would never let me back in, I didn't bother to keep a note of the number. Doh!

Now my dream has come true and someone has offered me a job and a 2 year visa, I'm wondering if I can recover this number?? According to the Oz gov website you are only ever issued with one TFN...Has anyone else faced this problem?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:11 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding my old Tax File Number!?

Originally Posted by dave0706
Hi all,

I had a TFN about 6 years ago when I was on a working holiday visa. Fearing that the australians would never let me back in, I didn't bother to keep a note of the number. Doh!

Now my dream has come true and someone has offered me a job and a 2 year visa, I'm wondering if I can recover this number?? According to the Oz gov website you are only ever issued with one TFN...Has anyone else faced this problem?

Thanks

Dave

Its easy. I went to see them. It took about 5 or 10 minutes. I came here on a WH 8 years ago. I came back and went in and told them where i lived before and showed them my passport to convince them who i was. They gave a me a copy straight away. My wife applied as totally new and had it in a few weeks. Dont stress.
BTW you can do it online also.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:33 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Its easy. I went to see them. It took about 5 or 10 minutes. I came here on a WH 8 years ago. I came back and went in and told them where i lived before and showed them my passport to convince them who i was. They gave a me a copy straight away. My wife applied as totally new and had it in a few weeks. Dont stress.
Yes you have to declare you already have one when you do it online and that you need the copy. I got confused on there and somehow ended up applying for a new one, even though I thought I was applying for a lost one. They sent me a new one and a few days later I got a very threatening letter telling me it was illegal to have two tf numbers and to call them immediately. So when you apply, be careful which options you choose! I'd say face to face would be the better option.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave0706
Hi all,

Thanks

Dave
I got mine over the phone in 2 minutes. I hadn't used it for more than 14 years.

They asked for the address I was using when I first applied for it, so you need to have a good memory. They also wanted me to pay tax for all the years when I was out of the country!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there!
This was something I've been meaning to ask for some time, so thanks also for the advice- I'm not sure if I will be able to track down which address I used either, though.... It was probably a hostel or something! I think I'll get onto this 1 today... keep u posted on the online method
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hi there!
This was something I've been meaning to ask for some time, so thanks also for the advice- I'm not sure if I will be able to track down which address I used either, though.... It was probably a hostel or something! I think I'll get onto this 1 today... keep u posted on the online method
They asked me what my address was in the UK when I applied. It was my parents place. They took that as proof of my ID.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iPom
They asked me what my address was in the UK when I applied. It was my parents place. They took that as proof of my ID.
Wow! The tax man actuallly doing something that is sensible & helpful, what a great country!!! Keep u posted...
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I've just found this link which is supposed to be the from needed to register for TFN for visitors/migrants and apparently there is space to indicate that you have had 1 in the past... I've not run thru it yet but I reckon this is what we need... best of luck
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I've just found this link which is supposed to be the from needed to register for TFN for visitors/migrants and apparently there is space to indicate that you have had 1 in the past... I've not run thru it yet but I reckon this is what we need... best of luck
SORRY! HERE'S THE LINK!:
https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Right, have read on & it seems you have to actually be in Oz b4 you can apply for your old TFN. This seems ok for us, but if you've got work lined up it would obviously be better to get it sorted 1st.... sorry
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jockstar

Being a bit anally retentive, I have my old TFN (from 12 years ago), and even have the letter that it was issued on.

My query is...

I am pretty sure my tax affairs were in order when I left Aus (WHV - I think I still have the yellow form with their final assessment too ), but is there any danger of them chasing me for any liability if this wasn't the case.

Reading iPom's posts, it may be that I have no choice and simply need to use the old TFN and be done with it, but would be nice to have some reassurance from anonymous posters on a website (with no real responsibility for their responses) that I am in the clear
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iPom
Yes you have to declare you already have one when you do it online and that you need the copy. I got confused on there and somehow ended up applying for a new one, even though I thought I was applying for a lost one. They sent me a new one and a few days later I got a very threatening letter telling me it was illegal to have two tf numbers and to call them immediately. So when you apply, be careful which options you choose! I'd say face to face would be the better option.
Hi
From what I have seen reading this thread does this mean that my wife who has worked in australia for for two years in 1965/66 will still have old TFN number which she must use when returning to australia
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brad
Hi
From what I have seen reading this thread does this mean that my wife who has worked in australia for for two years in 1965/66 will still have old TFN number which she must use when returning to australia
Yes.

A Tax File number isn't just for Christmas. It's for life.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how/if we can find out our old TFNs (from the late 80's) from outside Australia?

We have been asked for them in relation to interest on the deposit for our unit. If we can't obtain them, do we just have tax of 10% deducted at source? Presumably if we do provide them, there's no tax at source?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all

Hi
I have recently phoned the tax office about my wife working in the late 1950s and they told that their records dont go back that far and TFNs did not start untill the 1970s

Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.