Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finding an IT job in Perth

Finding an IT job in Perth

Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all
Default Re: Finding an IT job in Perth

I agree, the only thing that I have noticed (and also been told by agents) is that people are interested in seeing what "Perth experience" you have (assuming you are looking for work in Perth!). Once you have some local experience under your belt it seems to make your non Australian experience more valuable.

Cheers

Paul

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I have to agree with the remark about hiring Australians first. I think this is simply a myth. I had a lot of recruiters contact me and I never felt that my nationality played any part in any progression. I had two interviews, was offered both roles and also turned down another 2-3 interviews and this was all within two weeks of starting my job-hunt.

My experience seems to indicate that employers are only interested in what you are "bringing to the table".
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

jamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I am fortunate (but with lots of effort and hard work done since last november!) to have a good offer on a 457 visa for Perth in IT Management in the resources - oil and gas sector - and hopefully will be there in March 2007

I have over 18 years IT experience and persevernce and hard work paid off together with guidance and advice from people on this board, perth agents etc. A lot of the agents feedback though was that once you were on the ground the market was good ... I needed a 457 or SNTI due to a points shortage for PR

So it is possible and dont give up hope... I also did the online STNI sponsorship for Melbourne and got it and also contacted WA migration saying that I had great applicable experience even though IT management wasn't on their list - they gave me positive feedback that they would also sponsor me on STNI once I had done the ACS RPL

Fee free to PM me if anyone wants more info and good luck everyone

Cheers

James
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

[quote]
I agree, the only thing that I have noticed (and also been told by agents) is that people are interested in seeing what "Perth experience" you have (assuming you are looking for work in Perth!). Once you have some local experience under your belt it seems to make your non Australian experience more valuable.
[\quote]

What are the chances of being hired as a contracter to get the "Perth" experience, say for about a year or so, then start applying for Full time? Or do you need the "perth" experience to become a contractor?

I know that everyone's experiences are different, some gaining employment before arriving, some waiting until they are there, so I know the question above won't be applicable to everyone.

kind rgds
Dave

ps how do I quote from another post correctly?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

mikpiy is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at these:
http://www.ambit.com.au/salarysurvey...0-%20perth.pdf
http://www.robertwalters.com.au/reso...ustralasia.pdf

I have been in Perth 3 weeks (on a PR visa). Thanks to the advice and help from "Paul and Chloe" and "Steve99", I got interviews and 2 job offers last week. I accepted one of those offers and started work yesterday. I do not believe they have a preference in taking on Aussies over other nationalities. As long as you present well, know what youre talking about and fit the bill for the role they are interviewing for, you will be halfway there to a job offer!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikpiy
Have a look at these:
http://www.ambit.com.au/salarysurvey...0-%20perth.pdf
http://www.robertwalters.com.au/reso...ustralasia.pdf

I have been in Perth 3 weeks (on a PR visa). Thanks to the advice and help from "Paul and Chloe" and "Steve99", I got interviews and 2 job offers last week. I accepted one of those offers and started work yesterday. I do not believe they have a preference in taking on Aussies over other nationalities. As long as you present well, know what youre talking about and fit the bill for the role they are interviewing for, you will be halfway there to a job offer!
great links. the www.ambit.com.au/salarysurvey isnt dated, is this current?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Daveh777
What are the chances of being hired as a contracter to get the "Perth" experience, say for about a year or so, then start applying for Full time? Or do you need the "perth" experience to become a contractor?
Anyone? Not that I'm impatient
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Good point. This would be the well known Perth suspicion of anything from "the eastern states" or, god help us, the rest of the world. Dear old Perth can be a bit insular, even narrow-minded.

This can also be an issue when you are actually working in IT - there is a tendency to not want to learn from peoples experience working in the UK, or anywhere thats not Perth. Remember, what was done wrong in IT in the UK 5 years ago has yet to happen in Perth!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Chill out - you're making this way more complicated than it really is. Just take the first thing that comes along, be it permanent or contractor. And take it from there. Perth is a small town - after a couple of years, you'll have figured out where the best jobs are.

Good luck!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyclemark
Chill out - you're making this way more complicated than it really is.
Yes I agree, I know I'm a bit of a panic merchant. But it's always good to be prepared.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Hi...

I work as an IT Project Manager in Perth (have been here almost 2 years now) if you want to send me a PM with your email address I am happy to send you a list of agencies and contact names and numbers that I have used to recruit people where I work.
Thanks for the list of Contacts Paul. This will give me a good start.

Dave
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:17 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazmil
Does anyone know if it's possible to actually get employer sponsorship for IT jobs in Australia? My OH has over 10 years experience in IT and is expert in ASP.NET, SQL Server, VB.NET, C#,....the list goes on. He has a MSc, MCSD, and qualified in Siebel. Like a few other posters, he has been looking at the recruitment sites, Seek, Monster, and although there seems to be plenty of jobs, most of them seem to say only people with the right to work in Australia need apply. He is just short of the points for the 136 skilled independent and gets no points for me (housewife and mother, god knows they should make you study for that....if I knew then, what I know now!!!). Looks like he will be applying for the 134 skill matching which requires state or employer nomination. Any advice appreciated (other than him ditching me and marrying some aussie babe!)
Thanks
cazmil, did you know that C# is on the MODL list (since about the last quarter of 2006) which will give you an extra 15 points. Considering this, plus the fact that your OH has a degree and experience he should easily make the necessary 120 points.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Hubby has just started a new job. He is supposed to be leading a team of over 40 developers but as yet they have only employed 15 and are continually advertising, due to not being able to find the right people with the skills needed. He will be involved in the recruitment drive as well as heading up the team and of course remembers what it's like for a new Pom coming over looking for work, he was in the same boat 4 years ago.

He is working on a major international project with a multi-national company. Skills required include C++ and Java. Please PM me with your email address if you are coming to Perth and would like him to consider you. I can't give out further details on this thread obviously, but if you've got the skills and want to be put in touch, I'll see what I can do for you.
There are still job vacancies here. OH doesn't want me to post the exact skills that he is looking for, because his experience with recruiting people is that the CV is re-worded to make it look like they have the skills required, then at the interview the applicant fails miserably.

If you are currently in Perth and seeking work, please PM me with your CV and I will forward it on. If your skills look like they may be appropriate, he will contact you to arrange for an interview. If you are due to arrive in the country shortly, an interview can be done over the phone. Please do not contact me if you don't yet have a visa, or have no plans to arrive here imminently. All enquiries will be answered promptly.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:48 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other posters saying how they don't look for Aussies over anyone else.

We've been in Australia since Nov 26th and the OH has just found a job which starts tomorrow. He is contracting through one of the agencies mentioned in this thread. He was down about the job market not being as quick as he'd have hoped, but over Christmas there just wasn't many jobs about - certainly not for 2nd/3rd line support which is what he was looking for.

Anyway, he is Indian British and that has never been a problem for any of the agencies or job interviews he has been to. He has previous Perth work exp from 99 which I guess helps somewhat, but isn't essential.

A good website that he recommends (besides seek.com.au) is mycareer.com.au

Good Luck to all those job hunting