Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Old May 15th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all
Default Re: FINANCIALLY THE WORST TIME TO IMMIGRATE EVER

Think of all those £10 POMS they went with just about nothing, some with just the clothes on their backs, and many have made excellent lives for themselves, if we are lucky enough to have a little finacial stability then great if not then you've nothing to loose anyway!

Cant wait to go, and would leave tomorrow with just my family in tow if I could.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:51 pm

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

We still have the sun and sunshine, the pools and beaches, trust me nothing much has changed here at all, same old australia day in day out .... more expensive but so's everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Not immediately connected to the finance aspect of the thread... but do you mind if I ask where in SE Queensland you are....friends are thinking of buying land there soon.
Thanks BS
Old May 15th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
HAS THERE EVER BEEN A WORSE TIME TO IMMIGRATE TO AUSTRALIA FINANCIALLY?

SINCE DECEMBER 2007 25% HAS BEEN LOST IN THE CURRENCY CONVERSION (FROM 2.5 TO 2). ADD TO THIS THE 5 TO 10% WE MAY LOSE ON HOUSE VALUES IN THE UK (ACCORDING TO BEST CASE SCENARIO GOVERNMENT PREDICTIONS LEAKED TODAY).

THEREFORE THE AVERAGE UK HOME OWNER SELLING UP AND MOVING TO AUS TODAY WILL BE TAKING OUT AS MUCH AS 30% LESS THEN IF THEY LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS AGO.

ALSO, FOR THOSE LEAVING FOR OZ IN DEC 08, IF THE POUND LOSES ITS VALUE AGAINST THE AUSSIE AT THE SAME RATE AS THE LAST 5 MONTHS (AND THERE IS NO REASON WHY NOT) IT COULD EASILY BE A 60% LOSS IN MONEY THEN 12 MONTHS EARLIER.

MY WIFE AND I HAVE OUR HOUSE ON THE MARKET AND WANT TO SELL SO WE CAN LEAVE IN DECEMBER AS WE HAVE JUST BEEN GRANTED OUR VISAS. I AM ABSOLUTELY SICKENED TO SEE THE CURRENT ECONOMIC SITUATION FOR THE LIKES OF US AND IT WILL HURT US AND OUR PLANS BIG TIME.
The best time to do anything is always now.

The worst thing to do is look for excuses not to do something now.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:44 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
The best time to do anything is always now.

The worst thing to do is look for excuses not to do something now.
Totally agree.
We have had our house on the market since Nov, so gave ourselves plenty of time to sell, now 6months later and 3 broken house sales later we are looking at going for a quick sale and possibly losing over 20k from our price in Nov. You would think that we would have given up by now, we have to validate in less than 4months but we are still determined to sell before we go. If anything it makes us realise how much we want it.
You can't do anything about house prices falling or exchange rates but we are just concentrating on freeing whatever money up that we can so that we can get going with our plans, and have that money available for when we buy in Oz.

Just want to say good luck to everyone, i know the timing's shite but don't take your eye off the ball see you on the other side
Old May 15th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We validated our visas last March and whilst here I was offered a job in Perth. At the time we had a 10 month old son, I had a well paid job working from home and probably only working 1 hour a day so the rest of the time I was with my family.(Probably the cushiest job you could wish for). At the same time I was doing some matched betting and bringing in about £500/month tax free, we had two great cars and a nice home.
We gave all that up, well the house is currently rented out, to move to Perth and take a proper job in an office, slightly better wages, two average cars and a monthly rent about double that of our UK mortgage.
If we had our time again, would we do anything differently?
Probably not, we've made some good friends here, we live in a great location, we've just had our second child and Perth is starting to feel like home. I love getting up in the morning, seeing that intense blue sky and thinking what a great place to live. With two young kids to raise, I'm sure Perth is a much better place than where we lived.
What's the point in staying in the UK waiting for things to improve, for us it was like our lives were on hold until we moved over and it was such a relief when we finally arrived.
Just do it.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:01 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Yep yep yep yep yep!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally on hold untill you get yourself together and do it, totally right.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
You emigrate from your country to another, but you migrate to that country where you become an immigrant!
Caroline (super pedant and loving it!)
Thanks for that! Do you think we should start a new thread...grumpy old migrants...pedantic primadonnas...or some such!?
My husband would love it...he could call himself PPP (pompous, pedantic, person)!
BS
Old May 15th 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road

Wow I cant believe how many replys I had to my original post.

The thing that I find most amazing is how many people went to oz with high expectations and just ended up longing to go home. Seems like a waste.

I really hope I dont end up feeling like this, there is no alternative for me. I must sell the house as its not really a rentable home.

Therefore I have to roll the dice on this one. Take the losses in exchange rates and house prices and hope it works out for us.

Anyone know if house prices are expected to fall at the same rate in Sydney or Melbourne as in the UK?

Also can I say how embarrassed that in my original post, which has been viewed by thousands, I spelt emigrate wrong what a plum
Old May 15th 2008, 3:43 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow I cant believe how many replys I had to my original post.

The thing that I find most amazing is how many people went to oz with high expectations and just ended up longing to go home. Seems like a waste.

I really hope I dont end up feeling like this, there is no alternative for me. I must sell the house as its not really a rentable home.

Therefore I have to roll the dice on this one. Take the losses in exchange rates and house prices and hope it works out for us.

Anyone know if house prices are expected to fall at the same rate in Sydney or Melbourne as in the UK?

Also can I say how embarrassed that in my original post, which has been viewed by thousands, I spelt emigrate wrong what a plum
Dont worry about spelling on here love, most of us are too drunk to notice!

hope there is something on this thread that will help you though. Good luck xx
Old May 15th 2008, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonzer Sheila
Thanks for that! Do you think we should start a new thread...grumpy old migrants...pedantic primadonnas...or some such!?
My husband would love it...he could call himself PPP (pompous, pedantic, person)!
BS
Let's call it Pedants Post!!
Caroline
Old May 15th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

If you go with "your eyes open" & having looked into everything properly it less likely to happen I guess?

Re house prices - last quarter report was a drop of 0.3% i think? do a search on "house price news" on google.com.au you will pick up a few articles!
Old May 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chilliman
If you go with "your eyes open" & having looked into everything properly it less likely to happen I guess?

Re house prices - last quarter report was a drop of 0.3% i think? do a search on "house price news" on google.com.au you will pick up a few articles!
0.3% dose not match the stagnation in th uk where 10% cut in sale price dose not insure sale.

I would expect more then 0.3% considering the 7% interest rates in oz. Must me the mass influx of migrants keeping the market from nose diving
Old May 15th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eve209
Think of all those £10 POMS they went with just about nothing, some with just the clothes on their backs, and many have made excellent lives for themselves, if we are lucky enough to have a little finacial stability then great if not then you've nothing to loose anyway!

Cant wait to go, and would leave tomorrow with just my family in tow if I could.
Being related to a few £10 poms, have to say lots of em had a decent amount of money to take with them and Aus was expanding massively housing was cheap (which is no longer the case in most areas). Not all of them only had the clothes on their back.
Things have changed a lot in Aus in recent years, if I'd have gone 20 years ago I'd have been set for life could have walked into a job and got a house. But taking a BIG risk now when we finally move over. But will give it a go and lots of family to help us out
Old May 15th 2008, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Let's call it Pedants Post!!
Caroline
Let's go for it!
Old May 15th 2008, 8:19 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on the current evidence, I would say no.
Property prices grew slightly in Q1
http://news.smh.com.au/business/prop...0430-29lh.html

but then, you see reports such as this...
House prices 30 pct overvalued
http://www.financialstandard.com.au/index.php?id=12522

So at the end of the day, there is absolutely no way of knowing.
If anyone could know for certain, they would be very, very, very wealthy as a result ;-)

The picture may be starting to become clearer in the UK though....
Recession threat for Britain
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...79-664,00.html

Last edited by @boy; May 15th 2008 at 8:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.