Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finances when you move?

Finances when you move?

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 6:04 pm
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough
Default Finances/UK accounts when you move?

Was just wondering what people have done about finances when they have moved from the UK to Oz. I gather from some posts I've read that it's hard to get an Oz credit card at first so to continue to use your UK one?

What about UK bank accounts and investments (ISA's etc)?? Do you not have to be resident in the UK to continue to hold these? Guess same goes for the credit cards?

I'm an Australian citizen so would that make it easier for me in Oz or as not been resident for over 15 years be the same as if I migrated??

Any help greatly appreciated.
Zan

Last edited by Zan; Jul 2nd 2005 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Finances/UK accounts when you move?

Originally Posted by Zan
Was just wondering what people have done about finances when they have moved from the UK to Oz. I gather from some posts I've read that it's hard to get an Oz credit card at first so to continue to use your UK one?

What about UK bank accounts and investments (ISA's etc)?? Do you not have to be resident in the UK to continue to hold these? Guess same goes for the credit cards?

I'm an Australian citizen so would that make it easier for me in Oz or as not been resident for over 15 years be the same as if I migrated??

Any help greatly appreciated.
Zan

Hi I used to work for Nationwide Building Society and know for a fact that they have 'Off shore' accounts, so if you moved permentley to Oz. you just give them a change of address as you would if you lived in this ountry.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finances/UK accounts when you move?

Just keep the bank accounts and credit cards going - I do all my banking over the internet, and the UK account is useful for birthday pressies and stuff. I haven't given them an address here - changed my address to my mum's, and she sends the mail on if its useful, which it rarely is.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:47 am
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finances when you move?

Thanks, I have just checked the abbey and they allow you to change your address to overseas, so will do that with them and have a think about other accounts. (do also have a credit card with them but rarely use it, but may just go for that option as it's easier).
Guess you have to close ISA's etc though?
Zan