Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finances - Better or worst than the UK?

Finances - Better or worst than the UK?

Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finances - Better or worst than the UK?

Hi Everyone

How many of you in Australia find yourselves better off financially than in the UK? This is not a rant or moan, just interested in others experience.

I suppose I mean wages vs cost of living. Had a conversation with my friend and fellow BE member today and we discussed the dire wages which tradesmen receive, despite working physically hard often in extreme heat.

I am hoping it is early days and perhaps the longer you are here and the more you prove yourself, you are either paid better or other employers are willing to take you on when applying for higher paid positions.

Not looking for facts and figures or to get personal, just general views. O/H is struggling at the moment as he feels depressed on the work front, he is not afraid of hard work (he works very hard by the way!!), yet I think he feels he is breaking his back for crap wages and lately his boss has tried to pull a few fast ones...luckily we are on the ball and ahead of the game, but this has still unsettled my O/H, who just wants an honest days pay for an honest days work!!

FYI we are in NSW and have been here for over 5 months, we have agreed to give ourselves 2 years to see if we are going forwards or backwards in all aspects of family life (not just based on finances!).

Nikki
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finances - Better or worst than the UK?

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Everyone

How many of you in Australia find yourselves better off financially than in the UK? This is not a rant or moan, just interested in others experience.

I suppose I mean wages vs cost of living. Had a conversation with my friend and fellow BE member today and we discussed the dire wages which tradesmen receive, despite working physically hard often in extreme heat.

I am hoping it is early days and perhaps the longer you are here and the more you prove yourself, you are either paid better or other employers are willing to take you on when applying for higher paid positions.

Not looking for facts and figures or to get personal, just general views. O/H is struggling at the moment as he feels depressed on the work front, he is not afraid of hard work (he works very hard by the way!!), yet I think he feels he is breaking his back for crap wages and lately his boss has tried to pull a few fast ones...luckily we are on the ball and ahead of the game, but this has still unsettled my O/H, who just wants an honest days pay for an honest days work!!

FYI we are in NSW and have been here for over 5 months, we have agreed to give ourselves 2 years to see if we are going forwards or backwards in all aspects of family life (not just based on finances!).

Nikki
Well for us our finances are much lower than in the UK.
Hubby works harder and does more hours for less money. He needs 3 types of licences and still waiting to get them after 9 months, so hopefully he can earn more then.
Our morgage is higher over 30 years This is something we need to change as we didn't come here to be up to our eyeballs in debt. We only bought a small house but in Perth the cost of houses and living is quite expensive, so you need to work your balls off to pay the bills.
Hopefully for us things will change, if not, it's bye bye Perth.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Well for us our finances are much lower than in the UK.
Hubby works harder and does more hours for less money. He needs 3 types of licences and still waiting to get them after 9 months, so hopefully he can earn more then.
Our morgage is higher over 30 years This is something we need to change as we didn't come here to be up to our eyeballs in debt. We only bought a small house but in Perth the cost of houses and living is quite expensive, so you need to work your balls off to pay the bills.
Hopefully for us things will change, if not, it's bye bye Perth.
Know just how you feel. O/H only needs 1 licence and cannot start that process until March, we can either pay $250 for a 12 month course where O/H has to do day release (assuming this is ok with employer) however, we would obviously be a days pay down, alternatively he can pay $2200 for an assessor to fast-track him, all this to prove his 15 years experience and being recognised by the TRA, although this does not count for anything when it comes to licencing!!!!

We do love the country and want to stay, just hoping given time things can improve. It won't be for the want of trying and hard graft!

It seems those tradesman who want to work for themselves face a tough first year, working for less money whilst attempting to set up on their own. We are thankful though for the one income!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm earning more than I was in the UK and Mrs M was too in her last job (she is 'between jobs' right now ). We are loads better off but that's because a) we don't have a mortgage and b) we just seem to handle our finances better - I can't explain why. If and when we buy a property, we will definitely be worse off but that might never happen anyway. We're happy renting and being able to save, invest and still spend
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Overall we are a little better off here. That will change a little when we buy our house (at the end of March ), but the major difference is that we only have one income here as opposed to two in the UK.

I agree that some trades people do get a bum deal, especially for the first few months/year. We have been very lucky, the licencing was easy (that's one of the reasons we picked SA ) and hubby landed a good job within a day of getting his.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Earn roughly the same as UK, maybe slightly higher now but then I have more responsibility.
Taxation is higher (for me anyway),
Cost of living is roughly the same apart from housing which is cheaper here.
I would say overall about the same UK/Australia for us.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 2:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Earn roughly the same as UK, maybe slightly higher now but then I have more responsibility.
Taxation is higher (for me anyway),
Cost of living is roughly the same apart from housing which is cheaper here.
I would say overall about the same UK/Australia for us.
Do you think tax really is higher in Oz when you take into account 11% National Insurance on top of your tax in the UK?

Buzzy
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Agree that I felt I had a better standard of living when I moved there in 2000. But then, my salary was just the current exchange rate, so I was looking good. Think it 2.5 back then. Did get frustrated that the 47% tax was there, but fortunately found out soon enough that Super had to go on top of salary and not part of it. Then got a decent accountant to ensure I always got a decent rebate.

The interest rate is a pin for house purchasing etc - our holiday home in QLD costs a fortune as renting does not cover the cost and we're thus topping it up, as well as having a UK mortgage. But some cars were cheaper, some were more expensive, fuel was cheaper so that made life easier, and food was cheaper so that helped.

Wish taxes were not so high though as it did seem to hurt more, but in general, because the exchange rate valuation on salary, I was better off. Funnily enough would now be earning double my Australian salary if I moved there now, so would be a lot better off I imagine. May just have to do it again....
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Agree that I felt I had a better standard of living when I moved there in 2000. But then, my salary was just the current exchange rate, so I was looking good. Think it 2.5 back then. Did get frustrated that the 47% tax was there, but fortunately found out soon enough that Super had to go on top of salary and not part of it. Then got a decent accountant to ensure I always got a decent rebate.

The interest rate is a pin for house purchasing etc - our holiday home in QLD costs a fortune as renting does not cover the cost and we're thus topping it up, as well as having a UK mortgage. But some cars were cheaper, some were more expensive, fuel was cheaper so that made life easier, and food was cheaper so that helped.

Wish taxes were not so high though as it did seem to hurt more, but in general, because the exchange rate valuation on salary, I was better off. Funnily enough would now be earning double my Australian salary if I moved there now, so would be a lot better off I imagine. May just have to do it again....
about the same, when we get a mortgage tho we'll definately be worst off! A lot of my Aussie mates think I'm barmy for leaving a well paid job in UK to come here and earn less! Ah well ...........
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Everyone

Nikki
We'll be a lot worse off in Aus, earn loads more than what we'll get in Aus have no equity so god knows why we're going

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Feb 13th 2007 at 6:40 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
We'll be a lot worse off in Aus, earn loads more than what we'll get in Aus have no equity so god knows why we're going
Thanks for the replies guys, good to hear some of you are better off and those like us, it doesn't appear to put you off!!

I am probably back in the work force next week, so things should look up - like Wendy, it hasn't helped with only one income. Likewise, our house should be built in July and it will be mortgage time then, so more money find than the rent we currently pay, but hopefully the longer we are here the better we should get on (positive thinking!!!).
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Im pretty sure i will be worse off finacially once in oz. i wont be able to afford to buy for a couple of years at least but to be honest im quite looking forward to having the freedom of renting, may regret saying that if the prices keep going up and up oh well - anyone got a tent for sale?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Im pretty sure i will be worse off finacially once in oz. i wont be able to afford to buy for a couple of years at least but to be honest im quite looking forward to having the freedom of renting, may regret saying that if the prices keep going up and up oh well - anyone got a tent for sale?
my attitude too! ps I have a 2 man tent any good?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
my attitude too! ps I have a 2 man tent any good?
oooooooh yes please that will do for me and daughter. just need one for the boys please - any offers? Oh and it would be good if anyone has a generator that they no longer need please - doesnt have to be that powerful just enough to power my hair straighteners
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:59 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I could be earning more in the UK, but OH earns more in Australia than he probably would in the UK. As he's now earning more than me, he wins and we stay.

I think things will become a lot harder for us when we buy a house, and if we were to ever go down to just one salary life would be difficult and my cheese and wine budget would be slashed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.