Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finance - spreading the risk

Finance - spreading the risk

Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finance - spreading the risk

I will soon be shifting quite a large amount of money to Australia.

Does anyone know if the Australian banking system has a scheme similar to the FSA compensation scheme.

At present only the first £35000 of savings deposited are protected in the case of a bank running into trouble (such as Northern Rock).

I doubt if this will be the last bank in the world to be affected.

Is there an Australian scheme and, if so, what sum is protected?

G
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finance - spreading the risk

No offers on this one?

Does such a scheme even exist?

G
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

ccraig is an unknown quantity at this point

The scheme exists the same way as in the Uk so you are protected. Most of the major banks have been around for a long time so you are as safe as you can be or at least safer than stufifng your money into a mattress
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:48 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

At a slight tangent...there was something in the paper earlier this week about the Reserve Bank conducting an audit on all the major banks etc to make sure none of them were at risk of doing a Northern Rock. They were very keen to stress it was precautionary and not because they actually thought it might happen. Yeah, right! Hasn't RAMS been in trouble already??
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
At a slight tangent...there was something in the paper earlier this week about the Reserve Bank conducting an audit on all the major banks etc to make sure none of them were at risk of doing a Northern Rock. They were very keen to stress it was precautionary and not because they actually thought it might happen. Yeah, right! Hasn't RAMS been in trouble already??
And Wizard.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:06 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
I will soon be shifting quite a large amount of money to Australia.

Does anyone know if the Australian banking system has a scheme similar to the FSA compensation scheme.

At present only the first £35000 of savings deposited are protected in the case of a bank running into trouble (such as Northern Rock).

I doubt if this will be the last bank in the world to be affected.

Is there an Australian scheme and, if so, what sum is protected?

G
This link may be of use to you, specifically the first section (3rd paragraph, to be precise):
http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsAn...sys_infra.html
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ccraig
The scheme exists the same way as in the Uk so you are protected. Most of the major banks have been around for a long time so you are as safe as you can be or at least safer than stufifng your money into a mattress
Thanks for the replies.

The reason asked is that whilst you might be protected it is only the first
£35000 of savings that are protected in the UK and I was looking for the amount protected in Australia.

£35000 is not necessarily a large amount of money.

G
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
This link may be of use to you, specifically the first section (3rd paragraph, to be precise):
http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsAn...sys_infra.html

If I understand that Vim.....there is no such scheme in existence and that is simply a proposal to set up such a scheme.

G
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:21 am

If I understand that Vim.....there is no such scheme in existence and that is simply a proposal to set up such a scheme.

G
Yup, as far as I am aware, no guarantees to get your money back but it would be politically Very Bad if the RBA didn't bail a failing institution out.

I didn't get the chance to check the current legislation but I don't think it has changed since that article.

<insert numerous disclaimers here >

Funnily enough I was reading around this exact subject today at work as part of my 'business awareness' training.

Such an exciting life I lead
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Yup, as far as I am aware, no guarantees to get your money back but it would be politically Very Bad if the RBA didn't bail a failing institution out.

I didn't get the chance to check the current legislation but I don't think it has changed since that article.

<insert numerous disclaimers here >

Funnily enough I was reading around this exact subject today at work as part of my 'business awareness' training.

Such an exciting life I lead
Exciting indeed

That is interesting....something to consider.

I wonder how many people are aware of this?

Most people did not know about the scheme in the UK until the Northern Rock affair.

G
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:30 am

Exciting indeed

That is interesting....something to consider.

I wonder how many people are aware of this?

Most people did not know about the scheme in the UK until the Northern Rock affair.

G
My day job is full of wonder ... I often wonder why ...

It would appear today that most people don't realise that having a huge credit card bill is bad so I pity the 'victims' (read 'battlers' in Australia ... nasty term that in my opinion is overused) of the next inevitable financial 'correction'.

In some ways I'm glad I lived through Thatcher so I know how the circumstances can change without warning or consideration for the 'ordinary' worker.

Never pays to be in debt to anyone ... ever.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:33 am
Bitter and twisted

In some ways I'm glad I lived through Thatcher so I know how the circumstances can change without warning or consideration for the 'ordinary' worker.

Never pays to be in debt to anyone ... ever.
Totally agree.

That is why I am careful with the money I have

G
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:45 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree.

That is why I am careful with the money I have

G
This sort of stuff scares me. Which is why I spend it on beer rather than save it. That way I can be sure it lasts.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by worzel
Which is why I spend it on beer rather than save it.

....and I bet you just fritter the rest away

G
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:13 pm
A former regular of BE

....and I bet you just fritter the rest away

G
That is the wife's job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.