Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finaly doing some touristy stuff.....(Perth)

Finaly doing some touristy stuff.....(Perth)

Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

HBgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finaly doing some touristy stuff.....(Perth)

Well, we have been in Perth just over 3 months and now we are settled at work and the house is under way. We have finaly started doing some getting out and about.

Went in to the Swan Valley to do some wine Tasting and started the collection off with a few bottles.

The restaurant at the Black Swan winery is superb - we have booked again for when My Mum is over at easter.

Had a wander round Fremantle - it was closed!

and drove past Calamunda and kept going for a while till we found a place to stop and have a walk - no idea where we were but the scenery was great.

Any recomendations for things to do of a weekend.........
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

mandy smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Hi my husband and i will be in Perth shortly as we have just got our permenant residency we just need to sell our house.

We have visited Perth a couple of times and done a few trips
we especially loved Rottnest island,we took our bikes over and spent the day cycling around and relaxing on the beaches,which are lovely.

we also travelled up to Lancelin and done some sand boarding which was fun but exhausting.

and if you have about 4 days you could go right up to Monkey Mia
and see the dolphins and dugons. its a long drive but there are some lovely places to stay overnight.

Hope you find this helpful and have a wonderful time exploring
we cant wait to get there.

mandy
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:34 pm
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

A few suggestions for you.

Picnic at Mundaring Weir, Subi markets, picnic or lunch at the restaurant at Kings Park, picnic at Araluwin (spelling?), hire a bike and ride around the Perth foreshore. There is a good wildlife park (well there was a few years ago) near Cavasham (sorry not sure about spelling again).

I am a big fan of Fremantle as I used to live there years ago. I know you said Fremantle was closed but the markets should be open on the weekend. I haven't been back to Fremantle for a few years but there also used to be a bus that goes on a tour around Fremantle which is quite interesting. It used to leave from in front of the town hall. I think the tour takes you to the round house which used to be an old prison right on the beach. If the tour doesn't take you there go visit yourself. It is only a small prison but if you are interested in history it is worth a visit. There is also a much larger prision that we went on a candlelight tour of. You can go during the day, but I think the candlelight tour is a bit more atmospheric.

I see someone has suggested Rottnest. I agree that is well worth a visit.

If you like nature there are lots of places you can take your lunch and spend the day or afternoon at.

Also there a lots of places south of Perth that you can drive down to on Saturday morning, spend the night and then spend the afternoon and next morning exploring.

The tourist office in the city is very good, you should get some good ideas from there of what to do on weekends.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finaly doing some touristy stuff.....(Perth)

Originally posted by HBgirl
Well, we have been in Perth just over 3 months and now we are settled at work and the house is under way. We have finaly started doing some getting out and about.

Went in to the Swan Valley to do some wine Tasting and started the collection off with a few bottles.

The restaurant at the Black Swan winery is superb - we have booked again for when My Mum is over at easter.

Had a wander round Fremantle - it was closed!

and drove past Calamunda and kept going for a while till we found a place to stop and have a walk - no idea where we were but the scenery was great.

Any recomendations for things to do of a weekend.........
Now the ozzy rules football seasons started go to the subi ovak and watch the eagles or the dockers. I went to my first game on saturday. I didn't really understand the rules to start with but after a few beers I didn't really care. Good friendly atmosphere.

you could go north to the pinnacles, possible in a day but best to stay over.