Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally found a way!

Finally found a way!

Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Sprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to all
Default Finally found a way!

Hi Everyone

I haven't been on the forum for a good while and the last time I was it was to see if anyone had gone over on a WHV and found a way to stay there, either through sponsorship or student visas. My problem was that as a Sales and Marketing Manager I had to get assessed by AIM and unless you are a manager of over 600 people it would be unlikely to get assessed. My husband and I just thought that we would risk going over on a WHV, which I applied for last January.

I finally plucked up the courage to tell my company what I was thinking about doing in April last year, and the response I got was great. They supported the idea of my going over to Australia to set up a regional office for our company, and ordinarily they wouldn't send someone of my seniority on a start up, they didn't want to lose me and said that I could fulfill other responsibilities whilst I was there!

So we began planning, and although they had supported it I never got anything in writing. Then last July an opportunity came up for my company to invest in a US company and they asked that I go there instead. At this point my husband had sold his business and we had the house on the market (but not people viewing it).

I told them that we really wanted to go to Australia, and that was that. So we negotiated for me to go to New York for 6 months before going over to Australia. We thought it might give us chance to sell the house whilst we were away.

So my sister moved into our house with her boyfriend and paid towards the mortgage.

We're still in the New York now, but just heard that our the company has been approved overnight for nominating applications, and we should get our 457 in the next few weeks.

Now it's all a bit of a panic! I'm not going to work when i get back to the UK as we're going to head off to Oz straight away, after a week of some packing!

I'm looking at flights for April now, and reading through everyone's posts avidly! I know we'll probably forget so much, and not being at home we won't really have time to sort through what we really want to take with us. But i'm just so happy we've finally found a way, after months of not really being sure and not knowing for sure whether my company was serious.

Sorry for my long post, just thought i'd share our experience with you, i'll let you know as soon as our visa comes through

Spruciex
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Rachel-UK is a jewel in the roughRachel-UK is a jewel in the roughRachel-UK is a jewel in the roughRachel-UK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Finally found a way!

Originally Posted by Sprucie
Hi Everyone

I haven't been on the forum for a good while and the last time I was it was to see if anyone had gone over on a WHV and found a way to stay there, either through sponsorship or student visas. My problem was that as a Sales and Marketing Manager I had to get assessed by AIM and unless you are a manager of over 600 people it would be unlikely to get assessed. My husband and I just thought that we would risk going over on a WHV, which I applied for last January.

I finally plucked up the courage to tell my company what I was thinking about doing in April last year, and the response I got was great. They supported the idea of my going over to Australia to set up a regional office for our company, and ordinarily they wouldn't send someone of my seniority on a start up, they didn't want to lose me and said that I could fulfill other responsibilities whilst I was there!

So we began planning, and although they had supported it I never got anything in writing. Then last July an opportunity came up for my company to invest in a US company and they asked that I go there instead. At this point my husband had sold his business and we had the house on the market (but not people viewing it).

I told them that we really wanted to go to Australia, and that was that. So we negotiated for me to go to New York for 6 months before going over to Australia. We thought it might give us chance to sell the house whilst we were away.

So my sister moved into our house with her boyfriend and paid towards the mortgage.

We're still in the New York now, but just heard that our the company has been approved overnight for nominating applications, and we should get our 457 in the next few weeks.

Now it's all a bit of a panic! I'm not going to work when i get back to the UK as we're going to head off to Oz straight away, after a week of some packing!

I'm looking at flights for April now, and reading through everyone's posts avidly! I know we'll probably forget so much, and not being at home we won't really have time to sort through what we really want to take with us. But i'm just so happy we've finally found a way, after months of not really being sure and not knowing for sure whether my company was serious.

Sorry for my long post, just thought i'd share our experience with you, i'll let you know as soon as our visa comes through

Spruciex
WOW what a turn around! Congrats! wish we were that lucky. Wanting to go to OZ tough OH is Prison Officer and I Commerical Exec we do not have a "wanted" trade! we'll have to see what my resreach does as OH is on a course shortly with the prison which will gain him a teaching qualification.

Rachel
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Sprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to allSprucie is a name known to all
Default Re: Finally found a way!

Thanks Rachel

We looked at everything, as my husband had been a self employed antique and furniture dealer for 20 years so he didn't qualify either. We do feel really lucky but we would have gone anyway.

The other option we looked at was getting a student visa. You can take a two year course in Australia and both partners can work for 20 hours a week, so it's like one full time salary coming in. After the two years there are two visa's available. If you don't make the points to get a permanent graduate visa straight away you can get a temporary visa for 18 months that allows you to try and get the experience needed for the permanent visa. The only issue if you have to try and manage on one salary effectively, but we were so desperate to go we would have done this.

I imagine as a Commercial Exec you could get good part time temporary work too.

Good luck, i hope you make it

Spruciex