Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally decided to leave Australia...

Finally decided to leave Australia...

Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all
Default Re: Finally decided to leave Australia...

Have you considered Hong Kong for the tax rate, access to the rest of Asia etc? I've a friend who has lived there for a couple of years, though she is returning to the UK to do her Masters, she loves/loved it out there.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcpiano
Have you considered Hong Kong for the tax rate, access to the rest of Asia etc? I've a friend who has lived there for a couple of years, though she is returning to the UK to do her Masters, she loves/loved it out there.
Have considered it - and there are loads of job opportunities - but China and HK pollution (air and on food) make it a problem for young kids.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcpiano
Likewise in Singapore - on a 150-200k salary you end up paying around 12% income tax and GST is 7%. It' a hard place to leave but then you do have to factor in that you pay as you go for health, education (International schools are not cheap), etc.

People here think we're mad to move to Oz, and I must say we crunched those numbers hard, but life is not all about money. (Please remind me that in a year's time when we still can't afford our own place. )
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Likewise in Singapore - on a 150-200k salary you end up paying around 12% income tax and GST is 7%. It' a hard place to leave but then you do have to factor in that you pay as you go for health, education (International schools are not cheap), etc.

People here think we're mad to move to Oz, and I must say we crunched those numbers hard, but life is not all about money. (Please remind me that in a year's time when we still can't afford our own place. )
And that's why we're trying to go the other way (see you somewhere over the Indian Ocean!)
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

This has been a fantastic, informative thread.

It would seem that many people are undecided on the financial outcome of their emigration to Australia.

I agree with many postings that racism is a world wide epidemic at present, and depending on your country of origin would depend on your bias, hidden or open.

Affluensa is rife, and the more we have the more we want. Keeping up with Jones is a saying that has been around for years and is definitely hear to stay.

Education is obviously a hotbed of contention. Previously I have been going by the OP scores of schools and general surveys of world wide education. Australia always seemed to do well. It seems I will have to be more through with my research.
I went to school in Australia then university in England, Husband schooled in England, university in uk. My experience was more positive for both. So I agree with a lot of the postings that the outcome is very subjective.

Personally we are moving back to Australia (lived there as a teenager) for a multitude of reasons, my Family being quite high up and certainly the weather helps. We are in a good position in UK and have a good standard of living. So I am not expecting more then this, but I am hoping it will not fall to much.

Time will tell, but I would just like to wish the OP a big thankyou for this informative thread.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

I agree that this thread is very thought provoking. Making the decision to leave is hard and I wish the OP the very best for the future now that he and his family have made the decision.

My family and I are also beginning to wonder whether Australia is somewhere we want to stay long term. We have been on the Sunshine Coast for almost two years now and although we have no regrets about coming here in the first place (and have enjoyed it for the most part), we are now feeling unsettled, for a number of reasons.

Setting aside the issue of people (and we do miss family and old friends), we feel that life here does not meet our fairly realistic expectations. Financially the move has been terrible for us - although we always knew our salaries would be significantly less than in the UK we didn't realise quite how much worse off we would be; on top of that my career seems to have gone backwards. Also, as time goes on, we miss having Europe on our doorstep and the variety it offers (although we have managed to see quite a bit of Australia and NZ since we have been here). It would also be nice to have a bit more on offer in the way of theatre, opera etc.

The weather is great, the beaches are stunning, but there is more to life than that.

As someone with three school age children I too have worries about secondary education. I also think the OP is spot on with his analysis of vested interests and the reaction to those who raise it as a concern.

We have planned a trip to UK in a couple of months' time, so that may help us focus on what we really want, but this thread has helped us to crystallise some of the issues that have been nagging for a few months now, so thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
For me the whole thing is linked to the "whinging pom" soubriquet. Australians either can't be arsed, cannot see or refuse to see the fact that they get shafted on many occasions. When people point out the inequities of the situation I don't know which of the above drives them but the issue often goes into the too hard basket with "whinging pom" attached.
I think that this point is "bang-on". I couldn't agree more.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Famous 5
I agree that this thread is very thought provoking. Making the decision to leave is hard and I wish the OP the very best for the future now that he and his family have made the decision.

Do you know what I'm stressed about now?

Packing up.

I nearly had a complete reversal this morning when I thought about the physical aspects of another move!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what I'm stressed about now?

Packing up.

I nearly had a complete reversal this morning when I thought about the physical aspects of another move!
LOL, yes I can buy that.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

"Keeping up with Jones is a saying that has been around for years and is definitely hear to stay" (Quote)

Impossible
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Good on you!! I too can't stand bland suburbs, no shops, ignorant people, no interst in the rest of the world, immaturity basically....... I haven't even got PR yet!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve just returned from Singapore which gave me a yearning again for SE Asia
I got back from Malaysia and Singapore last night and can see where you are coming from on this. I spoke to expats in both countries and it seems most have a fantastic lifestyle. They also have access to cheaper travel, great shopping, lower taxes etc. I'm thinking of going expat in a few years time, probably with the outfit that I'm working for here. I would return to Australia though as the long term future for this country is fantastic.

I also agree with you about the blandness. Much of modern Australian suburbia leaves me cold. Legoland by the sea just does not do it for me - west coast or east coast. Saying that, there are also some truly great places to live here - and fortunately I live in one of them.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 28th 2008 at 7:33 am.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:51 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Impossible
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Come to the UK....bland homes, small homes, expensive ++ homes, electric prices high enough to buy a small car (£1000pa), same with gas prices (£1000pa), £1100pa council tax (rates), UL fuel @ £1.10/litre - diesel @ £1.20/litre, tax on top of tax - the list goes on. Basically, I don't have much of a quality of life as I have to do all the overtime available just to pay the bills. I have to rent as I cannot afford a mortgage and never will even though I do earn decent money.

The grass isn't always greener
Same here, we will never be able to afford to buy here , which is one of the (many) reasons we will return to scotland, although (due to personal circumsances) we are staying for at least another 2 yrs.

Mind you having read this thread am grateful am in melbourne , rather than anywhere else in australia.

Last edited by Margaret3; Apr 28th 2008 at 10:35 am.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I have found this thread really interesting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.