Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally come back after 14 years

Finally come back after 14 years

Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally come back after 14 years

Originally Posted by Thereandback
I guess it depends on what you want out of life but cost comparisons seems better in Adelaide than the South of England. There is also much more to do that is free if the pennies are tight.
It's always easy if it works out personally but wasn't Adelaide also in the news as one of the least affordable cities for renters? At the end of the day one place might be better for the nurse with 3 kids and the other place might be better for the single plumber and there are too many factors to consider. Those who hate the UK will hate the UK and those who love Australia will love Australia. Of course one can argue that if the pennies are tight both places have things that are free and I can buy a bag of rice anywhere. I see the same around Lloret and yes the beach is free but after a while it's not everything and most people want more/or don't even like the beach and hot weather. I still have to go to a dentist, pay insurance, buy sunscreen etc.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like you need lots of money to do anything in the UK. Europe is amazing to have on the doorstep 😁
the beauty of travelling around the UK is that there is a huge range of options (both for sightseeing and accomodation) we have been able to explore the UK at a "doable" cost where as when we lived in Australia (and we traveled to most States) we use to joke it coast a small mortgage and we were not extravagant at all, now "things change" so maybe flights and accomodation may be cheaper in Australia now which would be great for everyone to be able to afford to "see" their own country.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But at a certain age every likelihood they'll find more to do in England. (depending on age) Childhood may well feature little in decision making.
I always have a chuckle when I read more to do in Blighty. The only thing I can think of that yiy can do there and can’t do here is the oh so popular ‘bog snorkelling’.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retirednow
I always have a chuckle when I read more to do in Blighty. The only thing I can think of that yiy can do there and can’t do here is the oh so popular ‘bog snorkelling’.
I suppose the arguments will never end. No doubt Ti-Tree has a lot to do, you have the Ti-Tree Roadhouse or the Wayout Bush Store and Brisbane is just over 2500 km away. If you live in Llandegley, you could find the A44 yellow snack van and Cafe Express in Crossgates is not too far, Barcelona is roughly 1800 km away. We could argue again that both locations don't offer a decent 5-a-side pitch.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
the beauty of travelling around the UK is that there is a huge range of options (both for sightseeing and accomodation) we have been able to explore the UK at a "doable" cost where as when we lived in Australia (and we traveled to most States) we use to joke it coast a small mortgage and we were not extravagant at all, now "things change" so maybe flights and accomodation may be cheaper in Australia now which would be great for everyone to be able to afford to "see" their own country.
This is the problem with Canada. Too expensive to travel around the country for more of the same culture vs travelling abroad for new experiences.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose the arguments will never end. No doubt Ti-Tree has a lot to do, you have the Ti-Tree Roadhouse or the Wayout Bush Store and Brisbane is just over 2500 km away. If you live in Llandegley, you could find the A44 yellow snack van and Cafe Express in Crossgates is not too far, Barcelona is roughly 1800 km away. We could argue again that both locations don't offer a decent 5-a-side pitch.
5-a-side pitch for what?
Old Jun 4th 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We have excellent 3G pitches where I live, with fab views as well lol
Old Jun 5th 2021, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Never heard of bog snorkeling...one thing you can do here is ....have a fab time lol
Old Jun 5th 2021, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

heheh, it is true that there is better snorkelling to be had in Oz, but I had an enjoyable 30mins yesterday in Cornwall UK where I spotted some spider crabs, starfish, wrasse etc. without having thoughts about sharks, crocs or box jellyfish at the back of my mind.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 10:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of bog snorkeling...one thing you can do here is ....have a fab time lol
One of those odd very minority pastimes!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_snorkelling

Anyone who thinks that's the limit of unique ways to spend time in the UK is seriously out of touch with reality So many amazing ways to spend time there, just wish I dared to dream that one day I will get back there.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have excellent 3G pitches where I live, with fab views as well lol
Exactly, so somebody saying that there is nothing to do seems to assume that their hobbies are everything 🌎 and a whole country is the same everywhere.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scotty9000
heheh, it is true that there is better snorkelling to be had in Oz, but I had an enjoyable 30mins yesterday in Cornwall UK where I spotted some spider crabs, starfish, wrasse etc. without having thoughts about sharks, crocs or box jellyfish at the back of my mind.
I found the waters near to Perth quite boring to snorkel and a "dive" for me was always a bit fret for me. (I never truly relaxed in the waters as always in the back of my mind were the sharks and other dangers......I'd did not stop me but I was always extra vigilant) we have just spent some time off Anglesey and around Creceith and snorkeling was excellent plenty of marine life to see plus the excellent views from the water to the coast.. especially when there are castles as a back drop.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on what you want out of life but cost comparisons seems better in Adelaide than the South of England. There is also much more to do that is free if the pennies are tight.
I'm struggling to think of more to do if the pennies are tight in Australia. I get it that the beaches are free and due to the better weather far more accessible and free. But I can't see much else that can be done on the cheap. Okay petrol is cheaper. Needs to be though with the long drives to get anywhere. I don't think Australians have much disposable income , I recall the stat's confirming such with regards to interest rates rising and how so many people would find meeting payments difficult having a minimum of savings and living on the edge so to speak. Average wages seem to be eaten up by cost of living. I think it is agreed that Australia is more expensive than UK outside of London. Wages are higher but have been stagnant for a long time. A lot of casualness in employment as well.

I appreciate that The South of England is expensive, more so than Adelaide, but I wonder just how much the difference really is outside of Brighton (I've looked and know is expensive) But loads to do I've always found. Better walkability. Great walks on The Downs, Beach with pier, access to London and so on. Not to mention some great pubs and a diverse range of people.

But you are quite correct. It at the end of the day, is what you want out of life. Very easy to understand the frustration of the past eighteen months living anywhere in UK. I'm sure I'd be pulling at the leash as well to get back to Australia under such conditions.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
This is the problem with Canada. Too expensive to travel around the country for more of the same culture vs travelling abroad for new experiences.
At least Canada as the French part adding to its diversity. But besides that similar although opposites in the weather. Yep. Australia has become very expensive to travel in or around over the past two decades. Big reason why many holiday in South East Asia or Pacific.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One thing comes to mind in UK. Cheap and quick accessibility to other countries. Likewise within UK. National Coaches very cheap and extensive network through The British Isles. (if don't want to drive) I guess more people, means greater possibility of connecting with others with similar interests. No matter how obscure. Brit's to my mind, have more hobbies as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.