Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally come back after 14 years

Finally come back after 14 years

Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally come back after 14 years

Originally Posted by Beoz
hasn't that become apparent. I notice Qld resorts are very cheap for the upcoming NSW school holidays ....... tempted but will keep it this side of the border. Too risky.
I think you misunderstood my post, but that’s probably my fault.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

All good points. But then there's those dreary overcast skiies and chilly moist air for 9 months and there is no where in the UK that escapes that unfortunately. And for most in the UK they don't really get to experience must else, a bit like the local shop so that becomes the norm. If you are really into culture then the local shop isn't really going to give much there either. Life is life.
What we do then is nip across to the med countries and enjoy their lovely weather, these last few years we have enjoyed really nice summers so we have stayed in the UK and holidayed here
Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Wasn't that the point made by brits1. You would have to drive 3,900 km from Perth to Sydney and there wouldn't be a huge difference. In the same time you could drive from Manchester to Athens.
That the weather is shit for 9 months of the year is another myth and that's assuming all people have the same view and live in one place. People change, so does the weather and when you look at the next generation, very few might consider skin cancer, droughts, flooding, extreme heat and severe storms to be better weather. If you are living in Europe, Australia has no relevance (vice versa) and the places are just too far apart to compare.
Well said and I found it a very open and honest opinion.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

That's the thing. Other than a beach in Cornwall or a mountain in Scotland the natural scenery can be very much that same in the UK with a few exceptions. North Queensland, to the Gold Coast Hinterland to the beaches, harbours, vineyards, the Snowy Moutains, the Riverina, to the Great Ocean Road then on to the variety of Tasmania the natural beauty has much more variation in Australia. Sure there are extremes of weather too but the same constant bleak overcast skies are not a thing Australia gets to experience for 9 months of the year.
That's no wholly correct, we have rolling dales, the flat lands, Moors, flat sandy beaches, coves and dramatic cliffs and all offer different forna and flora and views certainly do differ between them for various reasons and all arrive away
Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

That's the thing. Other than a beach in Cornwall or a mountain in Scotland the natural scenery can be very much that same in the UK with a few exceptions. North Queensland, to the Gold Coast Hinterland to the beaches, harbours, vineyards, the Snowy Moutains, the Riverina, to the Great Ocean Road then on to the variety of Tasmania the natural beauty has much more variation in Australia. Sure there are extremes of weather too but the same constant bleak overcast skies are not a thing Australia gets to experience for 9 months of the year.
That's no wholly correct, we have rolling dales, the flat lands, Moors, flat sandy beaches, coves and dramatic cliffs and all offer different forna and flora and views certainly do differ between them for various reasons and all arrive away
Old Jun 15th 2021, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

But really, how much "difference" is there from one end of the UK to the other, especially when for 9 months of the year when the weather is shit. Sure you might have the coast of Cornwall and the mountains of Scotland which are vastly different from each other but Australia, US, France, etc all offer that. There might be a few more older historical castles and villages if you are into history, but for me history gets old pretty quickly - mind the pun. And that history doesn't really change too much. Each to their own but terrific visual natural scenery excites me more than a few old things.
Really different and I have done that a few times, I have also literally done the same in Australia and while I enjoy visiting the different states it was for me certainly all very similar the most different city/state that does stand out for me was Canberra it has a different architecture to the other states and the location away from the coast also made it feel different one of my favourite places to visit actually in Australia.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Well said and I found it a very open and honest opinion.
Thanks. You know yourself and those who talk down the UK will continue to do so. If you say something wrong about Australia they jump on it but if something that isn't true about the UK is said they don't question it (Best example 9 months). Even people in Luxembourg know their country is smaller than Australia, so I don't understand the fuss he's making. Is the UK perfect for everyone? No. Is Australia perfect for everyone? No.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Personally I am into something a little more dramatic and from one extreme to the other. I find the rolling dale's, flat lands and moors a little boring. One thing I do like is the south eastern pocket of the UK. There is quite a degree of natural variation there. Farms, forests, coast line, and old villages nestled in amongst this, and to help the south east probably does get the best of the UK weather.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:44 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
This is the problem with Canada. Too expensive to travel around the country for more of the same culture vs travelling abroad for new experiences.
True we use to travel quite alot when in the UK and after 8 Years in Canada the travel has dried up to nothing
Old Jul 8th 2021, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
True we use to travel quite alot when in the UK and after 8 Years in Canada the travel has dried up to nothing
Its too hard with only 2 weeks of vacation. I'd use that 2 weeks to go back home to visit then have no leave left for anything else. I've been in Malta for 6 weeks and really contemplating moving down. If I can find the money, the quality of life would be so much better.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Of course and it's always personal opinions. But If we're honest, the majority of people are all stuck in the same place anyway and hardly go much further than their local shop (UK or Australia).
People have to understand that a country in Europe is just an area and there's nothing stopping you driving to a different country, so again it's all relative. When we drive down to our place in Spain I can also see vineyards, snowy mountains and go from one ocean to another. The only difference is that someone living in Hobart or Melbourne will drive to the Gold Coast and I drive to the Costa Brava. Life is life.
I see we are still agonising.....It's true that not everyone has the energy to get out and about - I lived in central Europe and didn't always get off the couch every Sunday. I see stunning scenery from the UK but also the most deary average streets from British TV shows. If you have a Grade 1 listed detached 4bed with study home, it might be a different story..

What is good about Melbourne living is that we get that rolling rural hills of reminiscent of the UK and even parts of France. As you head further afield you get the Peninsular beaches, (which I have come to love), Yarra Valley Alpine and snowfields. And then there is the opportunity to do stuff in town.

After years of heading out - I do note that lots of lower lying bush in VIC is nothing but euculypt brush which you can barely see through or navigate through. You can do a walk and find the track inpenetrable with bush fire regrowth. I don't bother any more with 'trips' like that. You can walk all day and see nothing. There is not much of an opportunity to walk amongst rolling hills near Melbourne. It's one of the reasons I prefer the Alpine and above the treeline too. NZ has amazing mountains and I want to get out to hunt Tahr or out on the glacier.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 9th 2021 at 12:17 am.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
One thing comes to mind in UK. Cheap and quick accessibility to other countries. Likewise within UK. National Coaches very cheap and extensive network through The British Isles. (if don't want to drive) I guess more people, means greater possibility of connecting with others with similar interests. No matter how obscure. Brit's to my mind, have more hobbies as well.
I completely disagree! I've noticed Australians don't stop ever: (including around here, endlessing doing things with their land spending thousands often doing things themselves), or out and about, doing stuff, skiing, camping, fishing, 4wding, travelling, eating out, in clubs and societies, music et cetera. If anything, I always found average Brits didn't do much, and were rather sheltered, so always found people who did do things. I notice this when I hear them on British TV programmes - they are often incredibly lacking in direction and bizarrely unworldly (it's even rather cute) for a country that was dominant for so long and taught the world how to administrate and get out of the house..... At least suburban Australians have an excuse for being sheltered if they have never been overseas (but this is rare for well educated Australians).

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 9th 2021 at 5:10 am.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I completely disagree! I've noticed Australians don't stop ever: (including around here, endlessing doing things with their land spending thousands often doing things themselves), or out and about, doing stuff, skiing, camping, fishing, 4wding, travelling, eating out, in clubs and societies, music et cetera. If anything, I always found average Brits didn't do much, and were rather sheltered, so always found people who did do things. I notice this when I hear them on British TV programmes - they are often incredibly lacking in direction and bizarrely unworldly (it's even rather cute) for a country that was dominant for so long and taught the world how to administrate and get out of the house..... At least suburban Australians have an excuse for being sheltered if they have never been overseas (but this is rare for well educated Australians).
Poms are generally lazy and clueless. They live in their little ‘Blighty bubble’ and that’s it. Very sad little creatures
Old Jul 9th 2021, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Poms are generally lazy and clueless. They live in their little ‘Blighty bubble’ and that’s it. Very sad little creatures
You're a real bundle of joy, aren't you.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're a real bundle of joy, aren't you.
Much appreciated…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.