Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Finally come back after 14 years

Finally come back after 14 years

Old Jun 6th 2021, 4:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally come back after 14 years

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'm struggling to think of more to do if the pennies are tight in Australia. I get it that the beaches are free and due to the better weather far more accessible and free. But I can't see much else that can be done on the cheap. Okay petrol is cheaper. Needs to be though with the long drives to get anywhere. I don't think Australians have much disposable income , I recall the stat's confirming such with regards to interest rates rising and how so many people would find meeting payments difficult having a minimum of savings and living on the edge so to speak. Average wages seem to be eaten up by cost of living. I think it is agreed that Australia is more expensive than UK outside of London. Wages are higher but have been stagnant for a long time. A lot of casualness in employment as well.

I appreciate that The South of England is expensive, more so than Adelaide, but I wonder just how much the difference really is outside of Brighton (I've looked and know is expensive) But loads to do I've always found. Better walkability. Great walks on The Downs, Beach with pier, access to London and so on. Not to mention some great pubs and a diverse range of people.

But you are quite correct. It at the end of the day, is what you want out of life. Very easy to understand the frustration of the past eighteen months living anywhere in UK. I'm sure I'd be pulling at the leash as well to get back to Australia under such conditions.
According to the OECD, household disposable income is very high by international standards - certainly in the top 5 or 6

Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2021, 5:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

At least Canada as the French part adding to its diversity. But besides that similar although opposites in the weather. Yep. Australia has become very expensive to travel in or around over the past two decades. Big reason why many holiday in South East Asia or Pacific.
Also, to get anywhere here the distances are huge so if you've got to get on a plane anyway you might as well make it to somewhere comparatively cheap and exotic.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 5:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
According to the OECD, household disposable income is very high by international standards - certainly in the top 5 or 6

Hope this helps
I agree but I'm sure there are some regional differences exist.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps
Australian savings are not. A change in personal circumstances will floor many who have taken on too much debt.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Also, to get anywhere here the distances are huge so if you've got to get on a plane anyway you might as well make it to somewhere comparatively cheap and exotic.
I think most do just that. With the Coruna Virus, so many are now visiting areas within Australia, or own state that have never visited, or not for a very long time. Why do it when nearby is so cheap and as you say exotic.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 5:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Australian savings are not. A change in personal circumstances will floor many who have taken on too much debt.
According to the OECD, household savings are very high by international standards - certainly in the top 5 or 6

Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2021, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hope this helps
No confusing. Australia ranks 59th in world in Gross National Savings. (although 17 figures)That's way behind countries like Ireland, Congo, Gabon ,One behind New Zealand and one if front Japan.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Thereandback is an unknown quantity at this point

No confusing. Australia ranks 59th in world in Gross National Savings. (although 17 figures)That's way behind countries like Ireland, Congo, Gabon ,One behind New Zealand and one if front Japan.
Where is England?
Old Jun 6th 2021, 9:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Not according to the OECD - which measures household savings. Australia ranks 5th behind Switzerland, Sweden. Mexico and Germany

Hope this helps
Old Jun 6th 2021, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Thereandback
Where is England?
I did look and UK is at 106. One ahead of Chad as I recall. Don't remember the country in front (too many to recall) But then nobody is claiming UK is tops, but some lay claim that Australia is in top few. Both could do better, would be teachers comment in red ink.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 10:04 pm
Banned

I think most do just that. With the Coruna Virus, so many are now visiting areas within Australia, or own state that have never visited, or not for a very long time. Why do it when nearby is so cheap and as you say exotic.
Imagine when the borders do re-open for general travel, it's going to be crazy to get a flight and I reckon the air fares will likely be really high for a while. If that happens, I think I'll just grey nomad around Australia for a couple more years until things calm down.
Old Jun 6th 2021, 11:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why do it? Well for some of us, because everyone we care about is on the other side of the world and we would rather like to be able to see them again. The Aussies bang on about how everyone should holiday here, what they forget is that when some of us travel its not just for pure "holidays", its to be with those we love.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 12:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why do it? Well for some of us, because everyone we care about is on the other side of the world and we would rather like to be able to see them again. The Aussies bang on about how everyone should holiday here, what they forget is that when some of us travel its not just for pure "holidays", its to be with those we love.
And if the truth be known, as nice a country this is, it lacks the variety of history and experiences that places like the UK can offer. And it can get tiring arriving at breathtakingly beautiful after breathtakingly beautiful beach. Only problem is (in my opinion, and I respect that you might disagree) the UK can be a miserable place to live long term. Peak summer is nice though ....All 5 days of it!
Old Jun 7th 2021, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

And if the truth be known, as nice a country this is, it lacks the variety of history and experiences that places like the UK can offer. And it can get tiring arriving at breathtakingly beautiful after breathtakingly beautiful beach. Only problem is (in my opinion, and I respect that you might disagree) the UK can be a miserable place to live long term. Peak summer is nice though ....All 5 days of it!
Personally I have never been into history. Looking at old castle after old castle bores more to tears. So do art galleries. When people say Australia has no culture I say good, because people generally define culture as art and history. I can't count the amount of times I drove past Stonehenge and didn't stop. In fact I never stopped. From all accounts its totally boring.
Old Jun 7th 2021, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t do beaches. Too many outstanding places here to see outside of beaches. Amazing diversity…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.